ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Place and Month: Each person vote twice (one for location---one for month)

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arizona

10 33.33%
  • Nashville

14 46.67%
  • Other

5 16.67%
  • August 2007

4 13.33%
  • September 2007

3 10.00%
  • October 2007

19 63.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Preliminary Vote: For interest sakes

Quote Originally Posted by dmm96452
    I voted for Nashville, can I have a beer. Oh wait, I don't drink. Guess you got a freebee!

I can make yours a root beer. All you have to do is come to Chicago in November to collect.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I can make yours a root beer. All you have to do is come to Chicago in November to collect.
    Cool!
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I can't find the post now, but someone mentioned the concern that we wouldn't make it to the Smokies from Nashville, that they're too far apart. I just mapquested the distance and from Nashville to Gatlinburg they say it is a 220 mile drive, which they estimate at 3 1/2 hours. From Gatlinburg, we would have to drive further into the park to get to any good sites (I would assume.)

I am still not sold on the whole "Nashville" thing. Can somebody please post a couple pictures from there? I don't see what the draw is...

To be fair, there will be a lot of driving in an Arizona gathering, too. From Phoenix (the main airport; you could always puddle jump up to Flagstaff to save some driving time) it's about a 5 hour drive to the south rim, about an hour to Sedona, and about 4 hours to Lake Powell/Antelope Canyon. So we'll be driving either way.

And to be fair again, what happened to Denver? Is that out of the question now?

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Let's go some place there has never been a PR.com gathering.
    Like Salt Lake City!
    Some place new is good!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I think the big draw to Nashville is the central Mid-West location. Pretty easy to drive for most of the South, East and Midwest. The ones that would suffer would be the Far west guys. Also not everyone is a landscape photographer. Many people would prefer a more urban scene. I can go either way as long as I get to take lots of pictures. With Arizona the majority of those that want to come will have to fly, adding to the expense of the gathering for them. Take a look at Gene's map and you'll see most of the responders are in the eastern half of the country. Plus as you point out there will be a lot of driving once we get to Arizona to access the photo sites. Of the western sites Denver would be a better choice since it is so close to RMNP. Keep in mind that all this is coming from someone that is in awe of your Arizona images and would love to have some of his own.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Just thinking out loud some more.

It looks to me like either Arizona or Nashville is going to be a 4-5 day gathering, so we can fit everything in comfortably. For example:

Nashville:
    Day 1 - people fly in, we meet for dinner that evening
    Day 2- we do Nashville
    Day 3 - we (or anyone who wants to) drive to Gatlinburg, get set up in hotels there. Do Gatlinburg/Smokies
    Day4 - do Smokies, drive back to Nashville in afternoon/evening
    Day 5 - say goodbyes, do last few things in Nashville area, fly out

Arizona:
    Day 1 - fly in, dinner
    Day 2 - drive to destination (Sedona, Grand Canyon, or Lake Powell, depending on what the gatherers want to do!), get checked in
    Day 3 - explore area
    Day 4 - explore, drive back to Phoenix
    Day 5 - goodbyes, fly out

I think 5 days would be a minimum to get everything done, but of course we could always extend our stay to take in more of the areas if we wanted!

And - for the heck of it - Denver is a little more central to the surrounding natural sites. We could easily do a day trip to Rocky Mountain National Park from Denver, without having to rent hotels at a new location.

Denver:
    Day 1 - meet & greet
    Day 2 - Rocky Mountains
    Day 3 - open? more mountains/red rock ampitheater? folks could fly back out at this point, if they could only stay for a weekend.

Timing: I just looked up fall color guides for the Smokys and it says (from nps.gov):
    "The fall color display usually reaches peak at mid and lower elevations between mid-October and early November. This is the park’s most spectacular display as it includes such colorful trees as sugar maple, scarlet oak, sweetgum, red maple, and the hickories." So the Smokys would be a must-do for me. For Arizona, we do have color changes around Sedona and Flagstaff, but the main draw of an October Arizona gathering would be the cooler weather. As for Denver, Colorado.com says that September is the best time to catch the Aspens ablaze, so we might as well factor out fall colors out there.

Looking forward to everyone's feedback

Okay, done thinking!
    Walter Rick Long

Larry, thanks for the feedback. I think you're right, the draw of Nashville is the proximity to the majority of members. For myself, and maybe a few other out-westerners, I'd like to "see" Nashvile before I drive in. What makes Nashville "Nashville?" I am hoping someone will come through with some pics so I can see what the draw is! On the other hand, the Smokys in the autumn sound like a spectacular thing, and something I would come in for alone!

And, I would love to give you a tour of Arizona's natural beauty so you can capture your own photographs anytime
    Walter Rick Long

Talking Speed, that lighthouse shot is just fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    Speed, that lighthouse shot is just fantastic!
    Thank you. The wife thinks so too. She's asked me to find a place to make 20X24 canvas prints to give out as Christmas presents to our family. After hearing the prices, she's thinking 16X20's should be big enough for the family - but she still wants a 20X24.

BTW, D200, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Bogen 3011 tripod, Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Alright buddy! Sell us on it! Let's see some pics!
    Walter Rick Long

Talking Ooh, is SHE part of the gathering? North Carolina it is then! :D

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Ooh, is SHE part of the gathering? North Carolina it is then!
    That's right buddy! And when it's confirmed for North Carolina, then be sure to be the first to ask to stay at the Speed B&B. Not only is she good looking, and intelligent, but she cooks too!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

A couple of thing that I do know about Nashville is that they have a Micro brewery and there is plenty of red neck beer in some of the most famous honky-tonks in the world on Lower Broad. All kinds of music but country is king in Nashville. Music in every honky-tonk and on every street corner in town.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Live music is definitely a love of mine That's definitely something to look forward to!
    Walter Rick Long

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Nashville in October, and why. And yet...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    a show of hands(or clicks) for your proposed non-national ,non-regional---bunch of people photogathering in 2007
    First of all, I think we have enough diversity and energy here for at least two get-togethers, one in the east and one in the west.

This is precisely why I think the idea of a "National Gathering" is a bit flawed: IMO all gatherings are NATIONAL in that everyone from around the country (heck from around the world) is invited, and all gatherings are REGIONAL, in that any chosen location will exclude some members because of travel costs and time constraints.

For me personally, Nashville in October is a no-brainer, and here's why. One, the weather should be near perfect that time of year. Crisp but not too cold. Two, I can drive there fairly easily, as I have friends both on the way as well as in Tennessee.

But most importantly, because it's a city. As beautiful as Rick's shots have been (and everyone else's), I really have NO desire to visit any place of natural beauty and no desire to take photographs of it. Sorry, but those images are no incentive for me to make a trip to that part of the country.

I want to spend a weekend (or longer) in an urban environment with a great energy and things to do at night that involve neon lights, and Nashville certainly fits the bill. Ironically, I really enjoy going to these things to take a break from my photography, and primarily meet and socialize with the friends I've made here on this site.

If something presents itself as a photo subject, that's all well and good, but that in itself is not the reason for getting together...

Fianlly, I would love to do a bit of networking with the Nashville music industry, as that's one of the markets I'd really like to explore for commercial jobs. Rick's idea of a 4 or 5 day event might be perfect, as when you nature-lovers are off to "the mountains", I could be doing my business thing (or even a photo shoot) in the city...

Sounds like a plan... :thumbsup:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    A couple of thing that I do know about Nashville is that they have a Micro brewery and there is plenty of red neck beer in some of the most famous honky-tonks in the world on Lower Broad. All kinds of music but country is king in Nashville. Music in every honky-tonk and on every street corner in town.
    Ahhh...sounds like home.

Re: Ooh, is SHE part of the gathering? North Carolina it is then! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    That's right buddy! And when it's confirmed for North Carolina, then be sure to be the first to ask to stay at the Speed B&B.
    I change my vote to North Carolina...That seafood fest sounds great.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Cool I change my vote to North Carolina...

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    I change my vote to North Carolina...That seafood fest sounds great.

Z

You're a smart man!

And you obviously have great taste as well.

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

i voted for nashville in august. mainly because its the only way i could attend. anything after august i'll be in school. and i could drive to nashville, but no other ones.

so if its not in august you can take out my vote for nashville. :-) unless it just happened to fall on my fall break, long weekend etc.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Re: Nashville in October, and why. And yet...

First of all, I think we have enough diversity and energy here for at least two get-togethers, one in the east and one in the west.

No kidding....agreed

This is precisely why I think the idea of a "National Gathering" is a bit flawed: IMO all gatherings are NATIONAL in that everyone from around the country (heck from around the world) is invited, and all gatherings are REGIONAL, in that any chosen location will exclude some members because of travel costs and time constraints.
    How about "The great Gathering of 2007" we need a title for the T-shirts

things to do at night that involve neon lights, and Nashville certainly fits the bill. Ironically, I really enjoy going to these things to take a break from my photography, and primarily meet and socialize with the friends I've made here on this site.

way agree---I think I spend a lot of life behind a camera and feel like I miss half of it---thank god for the pics ---because otherwise I may not remember it that's one of the things about Chicago long ago that I wish would have been different---spending more time soicalizing...and having fun in a non photographic way....oooo did you say neon...anyone say disco balls and strobes???

If something presents itself as a photo subject, that's all well and good, but that in itself is not the reason for getting together...
    Speak for yourself---if Adina's going and Rick go ---those two reason are well worth the photo ops...as the reigning self portraitists(or has the torch been passed on and I missed it....??:idea:

Rick's idea of a 4 or 5 day event might be perfect,

Long enough to stay a while or leave after a few...agreed
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    i voted for nashville in august. mainly because its the only way i could attend. anything after august i'll be in school. and i could drive to nashville, but no other ones.

so if its not in august you can take out my vote for nashville. :-) unless it just happened to fall on my fall break, long weekend etc.
    A problem with Nashville in August--it's still summer here in August and that means it is HOT and HUMID. Even in September the temps can get as high as the upper 80's, although a lot of the humidity is gone. We are usually just pulling out the jackets and sweaters by mid to late October.

well that will be a nice break, because it's only mid-september, and we have been in the low 60's for the past week

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    [

Speak for yourself---if Adina's going and Rick go ---those two reason are well worth the photo ops...as the reigning self portraitists(or has the torch been passed on and I missed it....??:idea:
    I'll start planning my outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I'll start planning my outfits.
    remember more is more---- watch a little America's Next Top Model(I think there's a marathon on this weekend) it's all in the walk....and turn...walk and turn....
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

good thing I've a year to practice. I've been having trouble with my turns

It's on sister.
    Walter Rick Long

I'm not an ambi-turner...I can only turn left.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information