ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: preggos

preggos

Working on something a bit different for this type of thing.
    Last edited by adina; 04-04-2006 at 10:11 AM.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: preggos

Adina, I like the concept, but in this particular shot I don't like how the light seems to eat away at the pregnant belly. The belly is the whole purpose of the shot, but what I see instead is the faded surface of her dress in front of the hot, hot background.

It could be an easy fix with a bit of burning. I'd also like to see her face lit up just a bit more too.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

drg

I agree about the face, it needs to be seen a little more. You might consider just blowing out the whole door frame so no doormat or shrubs are visible.

Like the concept a lot!!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Pentax Forum Moderator

I really like the concept, I would like to see the carpet and not the floor or vice versa, but not both. If you could figure out how to crop out the floor, I think it would be less distracting from a great photo. Maybe a tighter crop on both sides of the door????
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Like Kelly said...

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Working on something a bit different for this type of thing.
    Ok, a bit different is sorta vague, so without knowing exactly what you were going for, it's hard to figure if you've been successful or not...

Now, on my monitor, this appears very close to a pure silhouette. But I'm not sure that makes the best shot.

I think a strong backlit effect would be much better, but for that you need to make two changes. One, the bg should not be so hot. Meter it normaly, then open up no more than a stop or two. Two, the subject needs more detail, which you get by giving it a bit more light.

A reflector is the easiest solution, which will still give you the rim light that looks so cool, or use something like a soft-edged spot on her face or upper body. That creates a more dramatic and edgy shot...

The floor showing doesn't bother me. If anything, it gives a nice subtle asymmetrical element to go with the open door as compliment the symmetrical doorway arch.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

A day late and a dollar short again. Steve beat me to it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

a bit different refers to something other than a shot of the belly with the hands making a heart around her outie belly button.

I've re-photoshopped,but it's on the desktop, and I am laying under a pile of blankets in my bed with the laptop, so it will have to wait.

Thanks

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Awesome idea here Adina, I love that you're pushing off the norm!

I think the silhouette is fine, more detail in the face isn't necessary in a shot like this imo.

What I do think it could benefit from is a cleaner environment, ie crop out the lightswitch, open the door all the way, and remove the carpet. Otherwise, I love it
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Pentax Forum Moderator

Help me understand??? Re: preggos

OK...each person's opinion is just that, his/her own. However, I need to understand something.
    1. Some people want more detail in the face, others say the silouhette is ok.
    2. Some say get rid of the some of the fringe stuff, such as doormat, floor, carpet, lightswitch...etc.
    Adina has a great picture here and an interesting concept, which is something we all agree on. This comment probably belongs in the "Photography as Art" forum, but since it is here...
    Why do we all have such different ideas on what will make this a better shot? I'm interested because I've been really thinking and reading about posing lately and I am trying to understand the concept better.
    Please understand, this is not a negative comment on anyone. I am just extremely curious as to why the differences and, if any, which comments will actually make this a better photograph. Some examples of these ideas would be extremely helpful in my understanding.
    Thanx everyone.
    Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Re: Help me understand??? Re: preggos

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    OK...each person's opinion is just that, his/her own. However, I need to understand something.
    1. Some people want more detail in the face, others say the silouhette is ok.
    2. Some say get rid of the some of the fringe stuff, such as doormat, floor, carpet, lightswitch...etc.
    Adina has a great picture here and an interesting concept, which is something we all agree on. This comment probably belongs in the "Photography as Art" forum, but since it is here...
    Why do we all have such different ideas on what will make this a better shot? I'm interested because I've been really thinking and reading about posing lately and I am trying to understand the concept better.
    Please understand, this is not a negative comment on anyone. I am just extremely curious as to why the differences and, if any, which comments will actually make this a better photograph. Some examples of these ideas would be extremely helpful in my understanding.
    Thanx everyone.
    Ken
    Because we all have different tastes/styles/ideas/training/education/experience.

Usually, when I post an image and get some suggestions, I read them, read them again, and apply them to my photo as I want to see it. Everyone is looking at it with a different eye. Asylum Steve has a fashion/glamour background. When I think of Rick, landscapes come to mind. Different shooting styles are going to give you different opinions.

I shoot a lot of kids. I shoot mainly in black and white. Mainly, I shoot children in black and white, at thier homes. For me, things like carpet or wall hangings or patterned bedspreads add, rather than detract. If someone shoots a lot of children in bright colored clothing on a biright shiny white background, thier opinion will be different than mine.

When critiqued, I read them and pull out what I can use. Do I always agree? No, but it never hurts to get a second opinion.

do I make sense?

adina

Pentax Forum Moderator

Oh yes, Adina...perfect sense...and I never thought of it quite in that sense...Your description using the differences between Steve and Rick really made a lot of sense and clarity as to why the differences in opinion, much more so than just because it is "their" opinion. Thank you for the clarification and I hope you understand that I was looking for just this type of explanation to understand "what" I was reading. I have followed many of your photos and wish my grandchildrens photos would come out only half as good as yours!!!!!! I look forward to more of this line of photos from you!!
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Thanks for the compliments! And glad that I could help.

adina

Hmmm, is it me or could a tilt/shift lens help the door? The door appears to be leaning towards you like it's crooked. I noticed that before the pregnant woman in the door!

JS

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Usually, when I post an image and get some suggestions, I read them, read them again, and apply them to my photo as I want to see it.
    People that is possibly the best attitude toward receiving critique and feedback that I have ever read anywhere. You all might do well to learn from this lady!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Adina,

I have been looking at this since you posted, trying to figure out what about it works/doesn't for me. And besides some technicalities which are easily fixed, and ultimately don't matter since this seems like a test shot, the biggest thing I don't like about it is that I feel no connection with the subject. I don't see anything motherly here besides the big belly. There is no feeling of connection between the mother and her child. The image feel emotionally empty. And when I think of your work, I think of emotion.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Adina,

I have been looking at this since you posted, trying to figure out what about it works/doesn't for me. And besides some technicalities which are easily fixed, and ultimately don't matter since this seems like a test shot, the biggest thing I don't like about it is that I feel no connection with the subject. I don't see anything motherly here besides the big belly. There is no feeling of connection between the mother and her child. The image feel emotionally empty. And when I think of your work, I think of emotion.

Very good response. I have looked at this image several times as well and I think you have kind of sumed up what I was seeing as well. This a very good idea and a nice image of an attractive women, but it lacks that conection with the unborn child that we would normally expect to experience with a shot like this. Adina this is in no way a negative reflection on your image, just an observation of expectation based on the title.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I must say that every time I look at this picture, I get a kick out of the "capsule" shape in her midsection. It's so cute!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Adina,

Hey thanks!

I will be going back in the next week or so, I have another month before the dreaded "to big to be comfortable" and am going to hit her up again. I have some more ideas...

adina

Thread Information