ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Unhappy posing problem - height difference

I'm getting ready to photograph a couple that has a huge height difference. The female is only 5'2" whereas the male is 6'5".. and they have a 6 month pit bull. Pictures will be taken outside. How can I pose the couple so that it wouldnt seem so ackward? How would I pose the couple and the dog?

Thanks!
    Sean

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not that I have....

...any experience with this actual senario, but my advice would be to shoot them sitting on the steps of the front porch of a house, with one or both of them playfully holding the dog (in between them if it's a larger dog).

Not only will this equalize their height to a great degree, but will insure that the dog is under control and comfortable (especially THAT kind of dog, heh heh).

Shoot a lot, have them alternate looking at (and playing with) the dog and the camera, and you should get a good candid...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: posing problem - height difference

May try a situation too where the guy is sitting holding the dog on his lap and the bride is hugging him from behind looking over his hsoulkder at the dog... waist up or 3/4 length shots

added thoughts---

what about them laying down(depending on how adventurous they are) and shoot from above with the dog between them...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Not that I have....

I had the same idea Steve did - sitting on different steps. You might also have her stand on a curb and shoot from the waist up like Nat says.

Or... if they are comfortable with it exagerate the difference and have some fun
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

NOT a problem but an OPPORTUNITY!

Go ahead and try to minimize difference if you must but PLEASE capture some images that EMBRACE the difference. My 6'4'' uncle just died and his 5'1" widow's favorite photo is one I took that creatively displayed the height differential (wish I had an image to attach). I used rule of thirds with his head upper right and aunt's lower left. Unconventional yes but it really captured the spirit of their relationship.Jay Leno could get a chin reduction and look like everyone else or he can use it as a calling card to build a career on.

Just my two cents...good luck!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: posing problem - height difference

I've seen it done where the 2 are facing each other, him looking down, her looking up as though getting ready to kiss, and the dog, strategically placed in front of both of them.
    Just another thought for you to consider.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information