ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Point-and-Shoot shooters look here

I'm a little troubled from reading some threads and posts from people who shoot with point-and-shoot cameras. It seems to me that these shooters are either 1) not taking themselves seriously, and/or 2) wishing to "start" shooting seriously only after they buy their new DSLR.

Photography is mostly about ones vision and technique. While equipment does play a factor in the execution of the capture, it does not always require the most expensive or the most up-to-date equipment.

I still use my old, first digital point-and-shoot camera. I bought it several years ago when it was being blown out at clearance prices. This was my introduction into digital photography for personal purposes. In fact, it is more accurate to call it my secondary camera instead of the one listed in my profile. Many of these images below are straight out of the camera with little to no post processing (other than to reduce the resolution here).

So go out and shoot seriously! Learn what you have and use it!

By the way, these were all shot on a 2MP Minolta shirt-pocket size camera with 3x optical zoom. No filters, no add-ons, no high capacity media cards.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: Point-and-Shoot shooters look here

A few more...

See my website HERE.

I hear ya, Loup------my first was an HP Photosmart 850, which I still use from time to time.
    John

I love shooting with my wife's little P200. My only complaints are the electronic zoom (mechanical zoom ring is the only way to go), the limited zoom range, and glare/haze/lens flare. Most of the time I just try to get in close and forget about the zoom.

Here's some samples from the p200, although there is some post processing to these. There's actually a lot of post processing to the fourth one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Point-and-Shoot shooters look here-dsc00036-small.jpg   Point-and-Shoot shooters look here-dsc00037-small.jpg   Point-and-Shoot shooters look here-dsc00073-post.jpg   Point-and-Shoot shooters look here-dsc00081-small.jpg  

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Loup...I think to a point, you are right, but I've also seen a few posts on here where it described professional photographers who use only p/s cameras. One to note is a National Geographic photographer that we had a link to his story in one of the threads. It really opened my eyes. Until last week, the only thing I ever used was a Kodak DX4330 p/s and since just before Christmas a Nikon Coolpix 8400. Last week, I bought the wife a Pentax *ist DL DSLR. I love the camera, but will probably stay with point and shoots for a while to come. I for one produced many fine works with the 3mp Kodak, and am starting to get used to using the Nikon and starting to do some better works with it. I think those of us who are "artists" are just never truly satisfied and are always trying for bigger and better tools. Not to say that we don't think what we've produced is good, just that we think we can do better. But, I will reserve judgement on that statement until I learn more about the DSLR and can compare my works between the 3 cameras. hehe...But I must admit, I have seen some of the same things that you noticed.
    BTW...great shots!!!! especially the one of the little girl with the green hat. I love her expression!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

There are some DSLR capabilities that I would like to have - Wider usable ISO range - more controls available as buttons or wheels rather than having to go to through menus - better choices in aperture ranges - larger sensor.
    I am fairly happy though with my latest P&S choice (Panasonic FZ-20) which now has decent shutter response, good zoom range, and image stabilization in a single piece of equipment.
    ----------------------------

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

For all those things you want, Chunk, I chose the Minolta A1 and A2.
    Very DSLR-like in its controls, almost no use of the menus for common settings.
    Even to the point of the shutter button interrupting menus operations like on my Canons.
    Good shutter response for motorsport only if I pre-focus and pre-set exposure.

The FZ-20 I think has better stabilisation, definitely better zoom, but I don't get on as well with the controls. Shutter response for motorsport is almost usable, Angie even gets cars in the frame while they're moving
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Talking Re: Point-and-Shoot shooters look here

Maybe we have a good thing going here? I'd like to see other examples so that we can inspire one another. Perhaps limit it to 3.2MP P&S? A mini forum within a forum.

By the way, bmadau, is there a digital P&S with manual zoom? I have one on my 35mm P&S and I agree that manual zoom is the way to go.
    Last edited by Loupey; 02-21-2006 at 04:39 PM.

See my website HERE.

I LOVE my p&s. It is often used for commercial work, and sometimes for more "artistic" photos alongside my SLR. As Chunk stated, I would like a higher usable ISO range, and higher shutter response. Then again, mine is about 3 years old, so maybe an upgrade is due. Instead of posting a bunch of photos, I'll post a link to my gallery, it has photos from a Minolta Slr, but there are many from a Kodak DX7630, and Nikon coolpix 3300.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=242383

OK, last 4 from my little 2MP Minolta point-and-shoot:

See my website HERE.

Who ever said you can't shoot seriously with a compact P&S digicam?

Here are a few shots that beg to differ, shot with a Canon A60:

Last edited by almo; 02-22-2006 at 12:01 PM.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

This thread makes me want to get some batteries for my little Kodak!! I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

5 mp but still a p&s

Here's some, we have a canon elph

What's great about this camera is that it fits into my coat pocket. So in situations where I normally wouldn't take my camera because I don't want to carry it or there isn't room, this one works great.

Size was our main deciding factor when we got this one.

drg

I'd agree about P/S users sometimes undervaluing their cameras and the work they can produce. The image included is one from my gallery from part of a larger body of work. This was taken with a real 35mm point and shoot, fixed lens, auto exposure only (except for metering) AF and so on.

I'd also offer this point, a lot of the cameras in this post are not strictly P/S. If you can adjust manually your exposure parameter (shutter, aperture, metering choices, color balance etc,) its not really a P/S. Its just a small camera. True they are not DSLR's but they are in some cases far more capable. The Nikon 8000 coolpix series are some of the most capable cameras around, regardless of size or cost.

We had some comments in a posting not to log ago about wedding photography and non DSLR's. I have photographed and seen weddings photographed entirely with Canon G5's and G6's with regular system (550EX) flashes on a stroboframe. I sold just as many photos as with the big Canon. My arms were not as tired either ;) .

I always carry at least one camera everywhere. It can't always be a big one.

It's the camera you use, not the camera you think you want.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...sort=1&cat=500
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    By the way, bmadau, is there a digital P&S with manual zoom?
    Yes I have two: Minolta A1 and Konica Minolta A2
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I was making money with my first digital camera a Olympus C-3030. I didn't make alot and most of my panoramas were shot using it. Up until this year all my panoramas of the coast were from the little Olympus. A great camera, now my wife is using it.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Smile Re: Point-and-Shoot shooters look here

Quote Originally Posted by drg

I always carry at least one camera everywhere. It can't always be a big one.

It's the camera you use, not the camera you think you want.

I agree whole-heartedly. Any camera used is always better than the most expensive camera never used.

I hope this thread got people thinking. Yes, Michael, let's all go out and get some fresh batteries this weekend

I'll leave on this note with a parting shot taken on my wife's Sony T-33, handheld:

See my website HERE.

Chunk- I love the P&S becasue it doesn't have slr controls. It's kind of liberating to just pick the camera up, frame the shot, and shoot it. There's no pressure, no stress, or concern of making sure the camera is in just the "right" setting. That is even worse with an external flash on a big camera, one more thing that I have to fiddle with. I feel that it makes me focus more on the shot I want and less on the camera's controls. It helps too, to understand the limitations of the camera and not take shots that I know aren't going to turn out. My P200 has manual controls but they are hardly useful. Most my shots are either in automatic mode or P mode, so I can pick what metering or focus setting I want, but mostly I just let the camera to the work.

BM

I just have to say that the idea of a total lack of control in shooting is a bit dishartening to me. I have a Minolta P&S fixed focus/auto film camera, and it is fine for snapshots. But I never go anywhere without a camera I can take some control over. I mean after all I am a photographer. This is what I do. Its what I am good at. The reason I became a photographer was to take more control over the picture taking process. Giving up that control is not a very freeing act for me at all, and neither is it an easy thing for me to do. I mean really, would you take a calculator into a knife fight, or would you take a knife?

JMHO
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Here's a shot from today while out walking the dogs. Taken with a Kodak CX7300. I held a polarizer in front of the lens to try to add some drama to the sky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Point-and-Shoot shooters look here-000_0792.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I've noticed it too where people think that "real" photography only starts with a nice camera. I saw an article a few months ago about a Magnum photographer whose name I can't think of who only works with Olympus P&S cameras - preferring them to DSLR's because he was used to working with Leica rangefinders.

Anyway, look at Nikon's Coolpix brochures. Very cool work in there. Some of my favorites have been taken on my Coolpix, but at 5mp I guess I can't share here...

Retitled: Non DSLR shooters look here

Steve, show us what you got. The fireworks shot earlier was from a 5.1MP Sony. Let's all let 'em rip!

See my website HERE.

Pentax Forum Moderator

OK Loupie...I warned you I'd post some of mine...so here they are..All are taken with a Kodak DX4330 3.1mp p/s...
    First 3 are action shots to show the speed at which these cameras can operate.
    The last 3 are landscapes and a macro shot.
    All of these are unedited...as is...straight out of the camera!!!!
    hope you enjoy.
    Ken

Having a prob uploading but got to get ready to go on a walk with some friends coming over so will edit when I get back. You can see these in my gallery link below until I get back.
    Ken

OK I think that got them...

Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

It's not a total lack of control. The camera still only takes the picture I tell it to. It just takes the focus off of the camera and it's settings and leaves me to think more about the framing and composition. It also forces me to think more about the natural light since the built in flash on the P&S is really, really weak, but that in itself can be a strenght because I think my little sony works REAL well on very close up shots with flash. I have to be more consious of where the sun is becasue that tiny lens w/o a shade washes out real and gives a lot of flare real bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information