ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Playing with water

Ever since I saw an episode of the TV show Time Warp where they were photographing drops of water, I have wanted to try it. I played around with it a bit tonight and this is what I came up with. Two important things I learned doing this. 1. Man is my sensor dirty! 2. I need to spend more time playing with this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Playing with water-img_1260.jpg   Playing with water-img_1421.jpg   Playing with water-img_1236.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Playing with water

Here is the episode of Time Warp I saw.

Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You have some nice sharp ones there.
    Are the colors from post processing or lights?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

These are gorgeous! ....so many things to learn....

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Way back when MSN had the communities, there was a guy that used his p&s which was either water proof or he had a case for it and he took the water drop pics from under the water.
    They were very interesting. He was here briefly...not sure if I could find him.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for looking Frog and Paula. The colors are from lights. There pan of water was sitting on top of a red light, and I had blue cellophane over my flash. The one that is really dark is because the flash hadn't recycled fully when I took the photo.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

How cool! I loved the video and the photos. Some day I'll have to try this out...when I am a much better photographer! What lens did you use for your shots?

Beautiful photos!

I do not about you, when I tried this I had to shoot so many images ! boy it was frustrating, but when you get a nice one, it makes you really proud!

Thanks Ladybugamanda. These were all shot with the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro lens.

Armando, I know what you mean about having to take so many photos. There is a reason that people who are really serious about this kind of photography spend lots of money buying/building flash triggers and controllers. It would make things much easier but it's not cheap.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I think that you did extremely well, considering is a very hard thing to shoot. The colors are great along with the reflections on the splash and drops.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Liz

I think you did a fine job here. This is something I've thought about trying, but haven't gotten up the "courage" yet.

Keep it up - and share some more with us. It would be great to have this as a photo project. Frog are you listening?

BTW, could you imagine trying it with film? And paying for all those images - and waiting for them to get processed? Or doing your own work? :-)

Thanks for sharing!

Liz

Thread Information