ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Which photos tickle u?

Just wondering which photos get the most views? Whats ur fav type of pic that gets u all in a tizzle when u see it? :lol:
    Why im asking is coz i post pics and i think dey will fly then they only get few views. Others i think wont get much views and dey fly! U know. Wierd.
    So what tickles u in a photo? Also do u look at technique or da actual picture?
    I look at picture. it must evoke emotion in me. dat makes a great shot. da 1 dat makes u go... aaaahhh.... or oooohhh... :9:
    I agree tecnicalities r important. U dont want oof or soft picture. And u dont want.... Noise in a pic. :nonod:
    Wud luv to know wat ppl say! :thumbsup:

Re: Which photos tickle u?

I'm usually looking toward landscapes, or human influence in landscape (I'm partial to barns), then I'll stop and look further at a gallery photo if it has a good sunset or sunrise. Then I'll start looking for the details, is it soft, is it composed well, why is it composed well, is it a good subject, where is that, might I want to visit there, etc. But mostly it's subject (landscape, barns, nature) then the light.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Tx for input EOSThree.
    A Photo must 'jump up at u'. U must be able to identify with it. In ur mind it must not just be a picture. There r many beautiful pictures but few of them really move u. I also prefer landscapes and especially early morning sunrises.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

It varies with me a lot.
    Some shots that aren't so technically good, I find fascinating because of what is going on in them.
    First thing you hear people tried to save in a fire are the family photos, whether they are good or not.
    On the other hand I tend to spend time looking at details of photos that show some sort of context for the subject.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I'm generally looking at the image itself. To me each has three components - impact, composition and technical quality - and it is a combination of these that captures my interest. I am seldom interested in a 'memories' type of shot. – Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Tx all for ur input!

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    I'm generally looking at the image itself. To me each has three components - impact, composition and technical quality - and it is a combination of these that captures my interest. I am seldom interested in a 'memories' type of shot. – Terry
    agreed totally.

Except - if those 'memories' shots are relevant to me.

drg

Color and composition are what jump out at me these days. Color may still be the many shades of gray of a fine Black and White image or it may be just a few tones but they accent the composition.

There's another less mentioned element which has to do with 'shape'. The image may be a silhouette or evocative of some chiaroscuro effect and then many other technical aspects are very different or not important including focus or pDOF.

Yes, I look at the whole of the picture, not just some specific technical niceties.

Many time a snapshot is just a snapshot, and other time it can be glorious!

Caitlin think about adding this or a similar discussion to the Photography as Art forum too!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Not sure if i have a favorite type at any particular time, usually i look at photos that are similar to what i am taking at that time to try and help me make mine better. may be landscapes one day portraits another etc...

However, i must say your post tickle's me, i have a friend that is from south africa also and reading your post was cool how it had your south african accent in it! reminded me of a buddy i need to call.

Thank You and Cheers!

Very good topic Caitlin !! :idea:
    Me thinks the old expression "beauty is in the "i" of the beholder" has a lot to do with what one sees in a photo capture. There are many beautiful images uploaded in the galleries here, but everyone has their own personal interpretation of what reaches out and grabs them. That's what makes us all individuals, hence, each of us interprets the various images with different criteria, and what looks good to you may not affect other viewers in the same fashion. :thumbsup:
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

Thread Information