ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

photojournalists in the iraq war

Did anyone see the History channel show last night on photojournalists in the Iraq War (10pm EST)? It was one of the most amazing, moving shows I have seen in a long time - regardless of your opinion on the war, it is a wonderful show to watch. Over the still photos and movie pictures, was the commentary of the photojournalists who took the shots - what the context was, what they were feeling at that moment, what had happened to them that day, what those around them were feeling, etc. There were also dedicated 1-2 minute interviews with a half dozen photojournalists, including one whose buddy was one of the ones killed when the US tanks fired on the hotel housing journalists.

Well, I just wanted to mention it here! I encourage everyone to watch!!

Cheers, Stew

No - I missed it but I'll have to look for it. They'll probably (hopefully) run it again. Talk about a tough assignment! You're working in the desert with digital SLR's (does the word "dust" come to mind!!). All the electronic stuff has to work perfectly. Don't even think about changing lenses unless you're inside somewhere. Gotta carry spare everything. Oh, yeah, and make sure you stay alive too.

There have been a couple of great magazine articles about this that I have read but will try to catch that show.

Awesome

Watched it, loved it, recorded it. Talk about a moving show. The images combined with people's commentary made it so powerful.

Awesome,

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by dsl712
    Watched it, loved it, recorded it. Talk about a moving show. The images combined with people's commentary made it so powerful.

Awesome,

Dennis
    Dennis,

Do you have a way of throwing it on DVD or VHS for me?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I'll get you a copy

Seb,

I'll send it to you. Don't have a way to burn it. Drop me an e-mail with an address or something and I'll send it your way.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by genebowhay
    If you go to http://www.historychannel.com you can buy the DVD of this and other documentaries they have done on photojournalists. I believe the DVD for this partiuclar show about Iraq only costs about $25. I've ordered it and the one about the photojournalists in the Vietnam war also.

Hope this info helps. Thank you Stew for letting us know about this.

Best Regards,
    Gene Bowhay
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Gene,

They only have it on VHS.

Dennis,

I will drop you an email. BTW, I suggest everyone do a search on Amazon for War Photographer or click here. I haven't seen it yet,but I ordered it.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information