ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Shoot Now - Sort Later

A Photography Degree.. Is it really worth it?

Hello all! I wanted to get some advice about enrolling in a Photography degree program. Currently I am working on a BS in IT/Web Design. Although I favor the web design aspect much much more, it's a degree, and I am not complaining. I will finish up in roughly 2 months and I am considering enrolling in an Art school to get a degree in Photography. Here's my dilemma however: I don't want to work for anyone else (hence the degree in web design, something I do by myself). But, looking at private art schools around here - they are much more pricier than my degree in IT. It's a huge decision and I am wondering if adding another student loan to my ever growing current one is the right move to make. I love photography and within the past year I have started to notice my photos going from candid snapshots at parties and family gatherings to more thought-out artistic shots. What kind of money can I really make as a professional. Something to keep in mind when providing your advice is that I am into every type of photography except for high-fashion .. it's just not my forte..

How would you go about things? Any advice is helpful

Thanks
    T.Sanchez
    ~ I refuse to tip-toe though life, only to arrive safely at death ~

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Re: A Photography Degree.. Is it really worth it?

I'd self teach and take some electives in photography and instead get a business/marketing degree.
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

It depends on the focus of the degree. You'll learn a lot about your vision studying for fine art, but that's about it. If you want to be a commercial photographer, IMHO, you're fine doing what you're doing - take a few electives in photo, and maybe some courses after you graduate, but a degree isn't necessary. Then again, depending on the school, you could make some great contacts getting a degree. Six of one, half dozen of the other. In the end, it's not the degree, it's what you do with what you've got.

Because you'll already have a college degree, I would say no. In today's business market having a college degree is very important; exactly what it's in really isn't after much time.

Since you'd have to take out loans to get a degree in photography, and you don't want to work for someone else, I really have no idea how it would help you at all. As berry suggested, and IMO, you'd be much better advised to invest that time and money into a business. And use your web design skills to help you - about 80% of my business is online.

Making money in photography is far more about your business sense than your fine art skills. Don't get me wrong, you need to be a good photographer. But as many here will tell you, often the photographers who make the most money are not the ones with the most photography skill, but the most business skill.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Thread Information