ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liz

Photo equip: quality vs weight?

I'm looking for some thoughts, ideas and/or suggestions regarding good quality - lightweight lenses.

Last year I sold my heavier lenses due to a back/neck problem from an old accident. I really miss the IQ of those "L" lenses. I recently purchased the Tokina 11-16mm/f2.8 because I love the quality and the 2.8 aperture. It's borderline light/heavy at a little over a pound. I've had it out 3 times - and unfortunately it's too heavy for me to carry around. Now I'm selling the Tokina - just not worth the pain. I'm going to buy the Canon 18-55IS after viewing images by Pgh-N8 on VF forum. It's not an UWA, but it looks like the IQ is good - especially for the price.

I've tried to find good quality lenses that are lightweight, but haven't been too successful. I still have the 28mm/f1.8 and 50mm/f1.4 which I love. Although primes are relatively light, I miss the zooms, especially the UWA - and the 70-300IS which I loved. I supplemented the telezoom with the G9 for a while, but it just didn't produce those awe-inspiring images.

Since IQ is most important to me, I'm disappointed there are limited options. I know "it's the photographer" but I was spoiled when I had those "L" lenses because they just worked for me.

I was wondering if anyone else has a similar situation and what you do......or any ideas/suggestions for light-weight lenses with "L" quality IQ?

Liz
    ETA: BTW - The Tokina is listed in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Re: Photo equip: quality vs weight?

Sorry Liz, I don't have any lens suggestions for you. But maybe a good fanny pack will help you carry your gear. The weight will rest on your hips as opposed to your shoulders, back, and neck.

I have a marginal back, and if I have a bit of a hike I try to just carry one lens I think I'll need. If I have the ability to get there without much carrying, the kitchen sink comes with me.

The kitchen sink comes with me often. I find a lot of beautiful images can be accessed by car, bus, train, plane, or boat. If I just don't have the room, or the vehicle, I'll take the G9. It's a compromise, but I find the image quality to be quite good, not up to my SLR with L glass, but as good as a lot of the consumer glass out there. A little tweak or two in LR and I get a decent image that can be printed at 8.5x11 easily.

It's not just the photographer, good images are always enhanced by quality optics.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

what about a monopod?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Have you looked at the Optech strap system?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by opus
    what about a monopod?
    Yes. I could do the monopod. However, I like to do street photography so I would still end up walking around carrying the weight - unless I'm missing something here!

It would work in some instances, though.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Sorry Liz, I don't have any lens suggestions for you. But maybe a good fanny pack will help you carry your gear. The weight will rest on your hips as opposed to your shoulders, back, and neck.

I have a marginal back, and if I have a bit of a hike I try to just carry one lens I think I'll need. If I have the ability to get there without much carrying, the kitchen sink comes with me.

The kitchen sink comes with me often. I find a lot of beautiful images can be accessed by car, bus, train, plane, or boat. If I just don't have the room, or the vehicle, I'll take the G9. It's a compromise, but I find the image quality to be quite good, not up to my SLR with L glass, but as good as a lot of the consumer glass out there. A little tweak or two in LR and I get a decent image that can be printed at 8.5x11 easily.

It's not just the photographer, good images are always enhanced by quality optics.
    The G9 is probably has the best IQ of all the p&s cameras (IMO). When I first got it, I was enamored with the images I got. However, as soon as I picked up my XTi with my 28mm/f1.8 or 50mm/f1.4 lens, I realized what a difference in IQ there really is.

I tried a great fanny pack a while back and thought it was working quite well. However, even though it took the weight off of my neck and back, I think it mis-aligned my spine after a few hours and gave me a new pain (although not as bad). I'm just getting old!

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Have you looked at the Optech strap system?
    I just checked out the image on B&H. I haven't tried it, but will think about it. I've tried so many straps and maneuvers - but I always feel the weight - either on my neck or shoulders.

Thanks Frog.

Liz

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Have you thought about switching systems at all Liz? I know you're a loyal Canon shooter, but if weight is a big issue you might consider looking into a smaller DSLR system. Olympus DSLR bodies are pretty small and the built in IS would mean that you wouldn't have to buy heavy IS lenses. I don't know what Oly has for lenses, but I'm sure you could find the focal lengths you want. The Micro 4/3rds system might be something you should take a good look at when it comes out. Photo John started a thread about it earlier this month.

Micro Four Thirds Standard Announcement
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

As far as straps go, have you tried one of those straps that I see birders using with their binoculars all the time? Something like this.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=1813/567.0
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz, have you considered the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8? I have not used it, but I've been researching Canon gear and some third party lenses, and there seem to be a lot of fans of this Tamron. Weight is a big concern of mine too, because I want something I can take backpacking, and the smaller the camera/lens, the smaller the tripod, and the less my friends complain about waiting on me. I'm currently selling my Nikon gear and will probably buy an XSI and the Tamron lens within a month. It seems to be the best image quality to size ratio available. I've also wonder about that Canon 28 f/1.8, but it gets very mixed reviews. Doing this research it is frustrating that all the best lenses and cameras I find are the biggest and heaviest, and they usually have a bunch of features I don't really need or want to pay for.

Paul

MB1

I'm thinking Olympus is the way to go.

Camera and lens weight is important to me too. I am a long time Canon user and have a full range of "L" lenses but to carry a few lenses and body is sometimes quite a burden.

With the glowing reviews of the Olympus 420 and their comments about how small the thing is I went out and bought one. I am completely satisfied with the image quality and the size of the camera and lens. It is so small that I didn't bother with the neck strap ( I took a wrist strap off an old P-n-S and use it).

The 14-42 kit lens is really quite good but I am now trying to decide if I should buy one of the many higher quality lenses available for the system or just continue to use the 420 as a backup for my Canons.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Liz, have you considered the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8? I have not used it, but I've been researching Canon gear and some third party lenses, and there seem to be a lot of fans of this Tamron. Weight is a big concern of mine too, because I want something I can take backpacking, and the smaller the camera/lens, the smaller the tripod, and the less my friends complain about waiting on me. I'm currently selling my Nikon gear and will probably buy an XSI and the Tamron lens within a month. It seems to be the best image quality to size ratio available. I've also wonder about that Canon 28 f/1.8, but it gets very mixed reviews. Doing this research it is frustrating that all the best lenses and cameras I find are the biggest and heaviest, and they usually have a bunch of features I don't really need or want to pay for.

Paul
    Paul,
    Thanks for the input. I checked out the Tamron - but I think for me personally it's "borderline" with the weight - due to the 2.8 I assume. It's just 2 oz lighter than the Tokina.

BTW, I have the Canon 28mm/f1.8 and I love it. I hesitated for a long time due to the mixed reviews, but I really like this lens. It's sharp - and has that Canon color rendition which I love.

I'm going to B&H today to check out the 18-55IS and will look at Olympus and other options while I'm there.

Here is a 28mm/f1.8 sample. It's not the best I have (straight out of camera & needs a bit of sharpening), I don't have time to look for anything else.

Liz

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    As far as straps go, have you tried one of those straps that I see birders using with their binoculars all the time? Something like this.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=1813/567.0
    I saw this.....it's interesting but I'm not sure if it might put weight on the shoulders which for me would put pressure on the neck. I'm going to think about it a bit more.

Thanks Mike.
    Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    I'm thinking Olympus is the way to go.

Camera and lens weight is important to me too. I am a long time Canon user and have a full range of "L" lenses but to carry a few lenses and body is sometimes quite a burden.

With the glowing reviews of the Olympus 420 and their comments about how small the thing is I went out and bought one. I am completely satisfied with the image quality and the size of the camera and lens. It is so small that I didn't bother with the neck strap ( I took a wrist strap off an old P-n-S and use it).

The 14-42 kit lens is really quite good but I am now trying to decide if I should buy one of the many higher quality lenses available for the system or just continue to use the 420 as a backup for my Canons.
    Thanks for all input and information. I checked out the specifications of the 420 and the 520 this morning. I would be more interested in the 520 due to the image stablization. It's a bit heavier, but with the lighter weight lenses, it might work. B&H has the 520 with the kit lens so I'm going to check it out at the store today - see how much it weighs and how it feels.

I was going to wait to see if there is an upgrade to the G9 before making a decision; however, it would be just about $100 less than the Oly with the kit lens.

To be honest, just the thought of "switching gears" to another brand is a challenge for me - I'm a bit technically challenged and don't want to go through a learning curve again. From what I've read, the manual isn't too clear.

Thanks again.
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Paul,
    Thanks for the input. I checked out the Tamron - but I think for me personally it's "borderline" with the weight - due to the 2.8 I assume. It's just 2 oz lighter than the Tokina.

BTW, I have the Canon 28mm/f1.8 and I love it. I hesitated for a long time due to the mixed reviews, but I really like this lens. It's sharp - and has that Canon color rendition which I love.

I'm going to B&H today to check out the 18-55IS and will look at Olympus and other options while I'm there.

Here is a 28mm/f1.8 sample. It's not the best I have (straight out of camera & needs a bit of sharpening), I don't have time to look for anything else.

Liz

Liz
    Well, that 28 looks pretty sharp here. Maybe I should reconsider.

I was just holding an XSi with the 18-55 IS lens at the Office Depot down the street, and it is very light. I've read that it's much sharper than the previous non-IS version too, so that might be a good choice for you.

You might also consider waiting to see what Olympus does with the micro four-thirds system. I don't know when they'll introduce some actual products, but that could be very interesting. Personally, I hope it leads to some new digital rangefinders, with real optical viewfinders.

Paul

MB1

....To be honest, just the thought of "switching gears" to another brand is a challenge for me - I'm a bit technically challenged and don't want to go through a learning curve again. From what I've read, the manual isn't too clear.

Thanks again.
    Liz
    Switching brands and shooting with a new system was a concern to me too. However the menu and basic (as well as advanced) settings on the Olympus were so easy to use that my concerns were quickly put to rest.

All it took was a couple of walk through sessions with the owners manual in hand and I was good to go.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Olympus

Liz-
    Take a look at my posts on the Olympus forum. I love the E-520 and have been using it a lot more than my Canon gear because weight and size are such an issue when I'm on the bike. The kit lens is really good and makes for a very small package. And the Olympus 18-180mm lens is pretty impressive. It's not a pro lens. But it's tiny for it's focal length (36-360mm equivalent) and I am not at all disappointed by the optical quality - especially considering the size and weight benefits.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Switching brands and shooting with a new system was a concern to me too. However the menu and basic (as well as advanced) settings on the Olympus were so easy to use that my concerns were quickly put to rest.

All it took was a couple of walk through sessions with the owners manual in hand and I was good to go.
    I ran into a bit of a "glitch" for want of a better term. I checked out the Oly E410/E410 and E520 yesterday at Circuit City. The E520 is a bit larger than I would want to replace a p&s with. The size of the E410/420 is fine, BUT I have a slight camera shake problem and these models don't include IS which the E520 has. There aren't any cs effects when I use the XTi with the 28mm/f1.8 and 50mm/f1.8 or the G9. However, the G9 has IS and the 2 lenses are faster. The E410/420 lenses with faster apertures are too expensive.

So I think I'm back to square one.......

There was a leak with 2 Canon announcements - the G10 and a new SX1 (or something like that) seemingly replacing the S5 IS. It has a 28mm-560mm lens and if the body follows the S5 - it will be very light weight. That may be a possibility. Guess I'll wait and see.

Thanks for your comments and info.

Liz

Liz

Re: Olympus

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Liz-
    Take a look at my posts on the Olympus forum. I love the E-520 and have been using it a lot more than my Canon gear because weight and size are such an issue when I'm on the bike. The kit lens is really good and makes for a very small package. And the Olympus 18-180mm lens is pretty impressive. It's not a pro lens. But it's tiny for it's focal length (36-360mm equivalent) and I am not at all disappointed by the optical quality - especially considering the size and weight benefits.
    Thanks for your input John.....I checked out your posts - and the others on the Oly forum last night! This is part of the reason I'm still looking and "thinking" about the options.

I just posted above that the E520 is a bit large as I'm looking to use it as a p&s replacement to complement the XTi. It would be great if I were thinking of switching from Canon..........I love my 50mm/f1.4 and 28mm/f1.8 lenses - there is just something about the IQ and color that Canon produces that I don't see matched by the others. However, I haven't done much research and haven't seen many images/samples.

Decisions! Decisions!

Liz

there is just something about the IQ and color that Canon produces that I don't see matched by the others. However, I haven't done much research and haven't seen many images/samples.
    The Canon image quality is definitely better. But for me, the smaller size and weight mean I'm more likely to take the Olympus gear riding. And I definitely get better quality photos with the E-520 than I would with a point-and-shoot. Overall, I am pleased with the E-520's image quality. It's not as good as Canon. But then again, I got great photos with my EOS 10D. Sometimes it's good to consider what the real priorities are. More and more, I'm leaning towards sacrificing some image quality for portability.

Did you sell your Tokina yet? I might be interested. The 12-24mm isn't really as wide as I'd like.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Liz,
    I don't know if this will help or not, but have you considered a rangefinder?
    It doesn't get much smaller or lighter than that.
    I am talking a film camera here, unless you have enough to buy the Leica M8.
    You can find some great rangefinders, used and new, current and not so current, for a lot less than you think.
    I know you like digital and all that, but just a thought.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The Canon image quality is definitely better. But for me, the smaller size and weight mean I'm more likely to take the Olympus gear riding. And I definitely get better quality photos with the E-520 than I would with a point-and-shoot. Overall, I am pleased with the E-520's image quality. It's not as good as Canon. But then again, I got great photos with my EOS 10D. Sometimes it's good to consider what the real priorities are. More and more, I'm leaning towards sacrificing some image quality for portability.

Did you sell your Tokina yet? I might be interested. The 12-24mm isn't really as wide as I'd like.
    Not yet.......It is really a great lens IMO......

Liz

Prime lenses are your key here.

I used to have a pair of Cargo pants with about half a dozen little pockets in them. I would go hiking and put 1 lens in each pocket. The primes were tiny by comparison to zooms so fitted. without going L series you still get F2.8 or faster. the weight is distributed on your hips and legs and you can carry a great array of lenses easily. I would keep the 18-55is or if you can track down a second hand 35-105 (it is a fantastic lens given IQ and size/weight) then a wide angle prime, your 50mm and a short telephoto prime. Personally I use a 24 f2.8, 28 f2.8, 50 f1.8 and 135 f2.8 (the one with the soft focus) it is exceptionally sharp and still very small and light. I can take all those lenses in a very small shoulder bag (nova 1) or fit them into a good pair of cargo pants, especially if i want to leave my L glass at home. incidentally if you decide to switch to the dark side, there are plenty of options. a good rangefinder like the Canon G9 may not be a bad choice, I have always been a big fan of the fuji line and the olympus is not bad. of course if money is no object There is always Leica!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    Prime lenses are your key here.

I used to have a pair of Cargo pants with about half a dozen little pockets in them. I would go hiking and put 1 lens in each pocket. The primes were tiny by comparison to zooms so fitted. without going L series you still get F2.8 or faster. the weight is distributed on your hips and legs and you can carry a great array of lenses easily. I would keep the 18-55is or if you can track down a second hand 35-105 (it is a fantastic lens given IQ and size/weight) then a wide angle prime, your 50mm and a short telephoto prime. Personally I use a 24 f2.8, 28 f2.8, 50 f1.8 and 135 f2.8 (the one with the soft focus) it is exceptionally sharp and still very small and light. I can take all those lenses in a very small shoulder bag (nova 1) or fit them into a good pair of cargo pants, especially if i want to leave my L glass at home. incidentally if you decide to switch to the dark side, there are plenty of options. a good rangefinder like the Canon G9 may not be a bad choice, I have always been a big fan of the fuji line and the olympus is not bad. of course if money is no object There is always Leica!
    Thanks! I found this interesting and you gave me some good ideas. Presently I only have the 28mm/f1.8 and 50mm/f1.4. However, I don't think I ever considered going the "prime" way. I'm not particularly fond of changing lenses, but you gave me an idea. I've said I don't like "compromise" but I think this is one option I may be able to learn to work with. For me this would probably work better than compromising IQ. I most likely will still purchase the 18-55IS since I've seen some great results from that lens - and it's only $170 in most places.

Your comment about the Canon 135/f2.8 soft focus was interesting. I've always thought "soft" focus meant "soft" image. So, it's a sharp lens? So what in what context is it a "soft focus." Is it also light weight? I'll have to check it out.

Well, as much as I would enjoy the Rangefinder size and the results I would get, right now film isn't where I want to go. Leica! Now that would be nice.....if I win the lottery! Yes, money is a big consideration. I am also waiting for the "G10" to be announced - but not to replace my XTi. I do keep both - the p&s and XTi.......I just can't give up the DSLR - nothing like the results IMO.

Thanks again - I appreciate your input - very helpful to me

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Liz,
    I don't know if this will help or not, but have you considered a rangefinder?
    It doesn't get much smaller or lighter than that.
    I am talking a film camera here, unless you have enough to buy the Leica M8.
    You can find some great rangefinders, used and new, current and not so current, for a lot less than you think.
    I know you like digital and all that, but just a thought.
    Brian
    Thanks for the suggestions, Brian. At this point I'm sticking with digital as for me it is just easier since I can delete what I don't want on the spot and not wait for developing. I've seen awesome shots from the Rangefinder and used to look at it once in a while before I switched to digital. Actually I was one of the stubborn photographers who said I would probably not switch - just determined to keep using film. Obviously, I gave in, but must admit I'm glad I did because I do save money by being able to edit and delete on the spot.

The Leica - it's in a class of it's own! And not in my budget unless I win the lottery!

Liz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information