ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pentax K10D Rain Ride

I had perfect conditions for a Pentax K10D test today. Pentax sent me a camera for review and today it was rainy, foggy, and cold in the mountains. The K10D has in-camera image stabilization and a weather-resistant body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax K10D Rain Ride-_igp0060.jpg   Pentax K10D Rain Ride-_igp0103.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Slow Shutter Speed and High ISO

The only photo I shot today at lower than ISO 400 was the one of my bike and car. That one was at ISO 200. The rest were shot at ISO 400, 800, and 1600. The exposure times for these three photos range from 1/20th of a second to 1/30th of a second. And the horizontal image was shot at ISO 800. Of course, some post-processing has been done, including some Photoshop Unsharp Mask, which I always use when setting up photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax K10D Rain Ride-_igp0156.jpg   Pentax K10D Rain Ride-_igp0138.jpg   Pentax K10D Rain Ride-_igp0110.jpg  
    Photo-John

Re: Pentax K10D Rain Ride

Damn John, I see your life of clutter continues unabated...

I like the second pic. Was that a riding partner, or just a random biker on the trail?
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Post Ride

Warming up after the ride. ISO 1600 - no adjustment other than resizing and some Unsharp Mask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax K10D Rain Ride-_igp0180.jpg  
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Was that a riding partner, or just a random biker on the trail?
    That's my friend, Karen. I was riding with her and her boyfriend, Ben.
    Photo-John

They look like pretty solid shots to me, especially considering the low light and slow shutter speeds! I'll be doing my first shots with the K10D - probably mostly some tabletop work.

Mike

Re: Post Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Warming up after the ride. ISO 1600 - no adjustment other than resizing and some Unsharp Mask.
    SO? Was it worth the wait?

Ben

I think especially considering the shutter speeds these are incredible images John. It's tough to pick a favorite, but the horizontal sure does have a lot going for it. I'll be interested to see your final review on the K10D. I've long been a Pentax fan and had they had a credible entry in the digital market three years ago when I made the plunge I would have considered it strongly.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Redo

The horizontal image has been bugging me so I redid it. I like this one a lot better. I think I might even print it. I'm curious how it will look in print since it's been pushed very hard in Photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax K10D Rain Ride-_igp0156.jpg  
    Photo-John

Tel

Honestly, without the rider there it'd be better, but thats just my opinion.

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Bahhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Tel
    Honestly, without the rider there it'd be better, but thats just my opinion.
    I get that all the time. You have to just put up with mountain bikes in my photos. Because that's why I take them. If you ever want to come out and take the same pictures without any riders in them, be my guest
    Photo-John

I may feel the same with some images as Tel, but not this one the rider gives the image the perspective it needs emphasize the size of the trees and the vastness of the area. I like this one more each time I view it.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Redo

The horizontal image has been bugging me so I redid it. I like this one a lot better. I think I might even print it. I'm curious how it will look in print since it's been pushed very hard in Photoshop.
    The problem here is that the mountain biker is not big enough or bright enough to be a centre of interest or a focal point but it is just the right size and colour to be a visual distraction.....so size is important.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Re: Redo

Reminds me of the trail around Spirit Lake before Mt. St. Helens went BooM.......

Unluckily the 35mm negatives are old and my focus on some was not that great. When I get home I may post some.....
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Tasty pics as always amigo!
    I love seeing all of these great MTB photographs you come back with all of these different cameras, I bet you could do a great MTB photograph with an 8x10 view camera.
    Is that a new bike?
    Make sure you bring your bike the next time you are out my way!
    BTW did you see the photographs I did on a recent ride on Gooseberry Mesa? I posted them on MTBR, the B&W one that I did with my Bessa was even the pic of the day on MTBR. Gooseberry Mesa 2007
    Brian
    Ride On!
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    The problem here is that the mountain biker is not big enough or bright enough to be a centre of interest or a focal point but it is just the right size and colour to be a visual distraction.....so size is important.
    I sort of agree with you on this one, Ronocco. The problem here isn't the relative size of the rider. I think she's actually perfect. She gives scale to the redwoods. But the image size on the Web is too small. I think this one needs to be printed big to work as intended. You need to be able to walk up to the image and get into it. It needs to be big enough to sort of pull you in so that you are looking at the rider and then looking around at the big trees. If the rider was larger, the trees wouldn't look as big.

I think I may actually print this one. It was shot at ISO 800 so I don't think I can go very big. I'll do some tests and see...
    Photo-John

Hard To Say

Ben-
    It's hard to say. You can read the review, which will be up later today. It's not my review, but I agree with most of it, based on my short experience with the camera. I think the K10D is really amazing in some ways, and not so amazing in some others. I think the most interesting thing about it are the innovative exposure modes. And honestly, I haven't been able to really get to know it well enough to take advantage of them. But they've added some really cool new exposure tools to this camera and I think they'd help me a lot - especially for shooting mountain bike events. It's also one of the best-feeling cameras I've used in a while. I like my XTi just fine. And I'm not really tht concerned with build or feel, as long as it can do the job. That said, the K10D feels great. The body fits great and feels really sturdy.

I'm going to try to take a few more pictures with it today and then tomorrow I send it back. I used it to shoot product photos of the Leica M8 last night. That was a little tough since I'm so used the Canon. But I gambled on it and we'll see how it works out
    Photo-John

I like all the shots and it looks like K10D did pretty good for the conditions you where in.

On the horizontal one, I like the rider in it and think that it adds to the over all shot, and agree that it probably looks much better big to pull you into it, (although my views could be skewed being an avid rider myself).

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PMW518
    although my views could be skewed being an avid rider myself
    I'll be the first to admit I have an obsession and a limited audience
    Photo-John

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Tasty pics as always amigo!
    I love seeing all of these great MTB photographs you come back with all of these different cameras, I bet you could do a great MTB photograph with an 8x10 view camera.
    Brian
    Ride On!
    :thumbsup:
    So, are you volunteering to haul an 8x10 camera out on a ride next time you're in the bay area?

OT, I am going out to Utah mid April to see some family in South Jordan. How's the riding out there that time of year?
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    So, are you volunteering to haul an 8x10 camera out on a ride next time you're in the bay area?

OT, I am going out to Utah mid April to see some family in South Jordan. How's the riding out there that time of year?
    Sure!
    I'll just find a BOB trailer and we'll do it!

The riding in South Jordan anytime of the year is AWFUL!
    Because there isn't any!

Otherwise it's not too bad. Most of the stuff is pretty dry, unless it has rained, on the lower elevations, while the stuff at the higher elevations and the stuff that is back in the canyons is still snowed in or very wet.
    I live pretty close, to South Jordan, so let me know.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Glad you posted this today, John. Thanks.

I'm planning on buying one of these in the next day or two (as soon as the IRS dumps my tax return into my bank) and haven't seen anything here to change my mind.

The anti shake is real important to me as I can't hold a camera very steady anymore and can't afford a bunch of IS lenses. I also like the weather/dust sealing since I want to haul it around on my motorcycle.

Was it the kit lense that you used?

Looking forward to seeing the review that you said will be posted shortly. Reviews I've seen elsewhere have been encouraging.
    ----------------------------

Pentax K10D Review

Our review is done. And yes, Chunk, my photos were shot with the kit lens. That's all I have. I don't think it's the best kit lens I've used. But it's not the worst either. I don't have a problem with it.

Pentax K10D Digital SLR Pro Review >>

Let me know what you think of the review. I think it's a good one. The photographer, Larry, really knows his stuff. And he also did our Canon EOS 20D and Rebel XT pro reviews.
    Photo-John

Re: Pentax K10D Review

Pentax K10D Digital SLR Pro Review >>

Let me know what you think of the review. I think it's a good one. The photographer, Larry, really knows his stuff. And he also did our Canon EOS 20D and Rebel XT pro reviews.
    Really good review. He stresses issues that affect use and hit a couple things that other pro reviewers have not. You get the feeling that he has quite a bit of experience with it and not just running it through its paces for the review.
    The accompanying photos are excellent!

I feel more comfortable now as I head off to spend $1000, knowing the camera's strengths and also its weaknesses.
    ----------------------------

Ghost

John you are so good at these photos and making me wish I was there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information