ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Lowe Pro's Questionable Quality..

I thought that I should share this experience with everyone. If not to at least put the word out, but to put a fire under lowe pro (if they happen to be looking though these forums) .

I've had a lowe pro mini trecker that's about 3-4 years old which I've been quite happy with. Recently I decided to upgrade to a slightly bigger bag and ordered the lowe pro nature trecker awII.

Being there isn't a decent store locally I ordered via the web.

The first bag I recieved had a major flaw. The interior depth varied from 5" on the left bottom to 4" on the right bottom, and 6" along the top! I thought that this was just a fluke, it happens, and sent it back for an exchange.

The next bag the interior depth was equal all the way around. However, it was about 1/4-1/2" shallower than specified. All the dividers are taller than the depth of the bag. M wife is trying to get me to keep this one since it's "close." I'm still deciding.

At this point, whether or not I keep the bag, I'm really dissapointed with Lowe Pro. So much so, that I really doubt I could ever buy another one of their products.

The best part is we got this cool tool called the "web" which I can share my experience with lots of people. Hopefully this can influence enough peoples decision in buying a lowe pro bag that it hits them in their wallet. That is the only means by which they will make an effort to improve their quality.

Mike

I can understand your frustration, but maybe they just had a bad run of them. I've never had a problem with their stuff, although the bag that I use most is a Domke. The first bag with all the different dimensions - I would have returned it too. The second bag is only off by 1/4" to 1/2" according to your measurements. I'd wonder if you and their designers are measuring the same way - inside or outside, etc. BTW, about four months ago I bought a Photo Trekker AWII and it's been great. I just wish it had some more pockets for accessories, so I'll have to get some of the accessories.

I'm sure you'll get their attention here - one of the PR.com members is a LowePro employee. I remember a thread on the old boards a few months ago where he worked with a customer to modify a bag to suit his needs better.

[QUOTE=another view] The second bag is only off by 1/4" to 1/2" according to your measurements. I'd wonder if you and their designers are measuring the same way - inside or outside, etc. BTW, about four months ago I bought a Photo Trekker AWII and it's been great. I just wish it had some more pockets for accessories, so I'll have to get some of the accessories.

I'm basing the 1/4 - 1/2 off by measurement and the velcro dividers that come over the top when put in correctly. For reference, my mini trecker's dividers were very close in depth to the edge. I noticed the first pack being so far off when a lens came out of the mini and stuck up further above the lip!

Actually, a bad batch is even more discerning as far as quality control goes. An escape is one thing, not good, but letting a whole batch go is a whole new level. At least for my companies.

I agree about more pockets. On the large outside pocket I was suprised that it was just that; a LARGE pocket. The mini's outside pocket had pouches in it for pens, pads, and whatever, near the top so everything doesn't fall to the bottom.

Another tip is to dump the bungy cords for holding the tripod on. For 3 bucks at the hardware store you can get some velcro fastners (loo -back kind that come in various lenghts) that work much better and easier. Besides working better, the velcro fastners are easier to remove when you don't need them.

Lowepro good experience

I have a few Lowepro products and they seem quite well put together. I have noticed that they are getting quite popular (their low end camera cases are in Best Buy!) so perhaps they are getting overextended in their production. If so, hopefully it is a temporary thing. Shouldn't happen at all though.

My own experience is that they make an excellent product, and would buy from them again. I had only one small problem with a clip and they made it right. Sorry that you have had problems with one of their bags. Hopefully it will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Good luck!

What was up with the first bag. Second I don't mind

You definitely did the right thing in returning the first bag. That was way off, I'm surprised to hear about the low quality. But the second doesn't bother me as much. I actually like when the pads are a bit longer than the bag because it gives more support in the middle of the bag too.

I have a couple bags and love them. Rain, sleet, snow, desert. If it can hang with me in those situations, I've got a bag for life.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unhappy

I love Lowepro products and probably will purchase others when I have the need. Your post is most distressing however. MrCelloBoy, one of the regulars here, is, I believe, a Lowepro employee. Let's hope that he he made a successful transition from the old PhotographyREVIEW format (I almost didn't), sees this and gets some answers.

Thread Information