ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Parliament Hill - Ottawa, ON

Welcome to Ottawa, Ontario. The capital city of Canada. It was chosen by Queen Victoria in 1857, so on Dec 31st, Bytown (as it was called back then) was an unruly lumber town far from the main cities of Canada (then a colony and Province of the British Empire), which were Kingston, Montreal, Quebec City, and Toronto. Her majesty's reason, it was the only settlement of size right on the boarder of Upper and Lower Canada (now Ontario and Quebec).

Parliament Hill is the seat of the Canadian Government. Originally a military base, was developed into the government seat in 1859. The complex consists of three buildings, the Center Block which holds the Senate Chambers and the House of Commons and the Library of Parliament, the east and west blocks are mostly offices. The buildings are built in High Victorian Gothic Style. The center block was destroyed by fire in 1916, quick thinking by a guard saved the library, by closing iron door, meaning the library is the only original section of the first center block left standing. That same year, despite the ongoing war, a new corner stone was laid, the new block was completed in 1927 including the new Peace Tower, the world's largest monument to those who gave their lives during the first world war.

One of the side blocks (I don't remember which one), but it was built in the late 1850s.

Another shot of the same block

The Center Block

The Peace Tower

Inside the entrance.

The hall down to the Library, and you can see the door, the same door that saved the building back in 1916.

More details around the entrance hall

The entrance hall from one floor up. I sat down there while waiting to be let in for Question Period in the House of Commons.

Looking down from the observation deck in Peace Tower. The fountain is the Centennial Flame, installed in 1967 at the 100th anniversary of Canada (The Dominion of Canada was formed on July 1st, 1867, it took three years to complete the process which started in 1864 when the 72 Resolutions were drafted, these formed the basis of our Constitution).

Stained glass inside the memorial chamber.

Some detail work above the entrance to the memorial chamber.

One of the memorial books, this one lists all the Canadian Soldiers that died during the first world war, each day at 11am a page is turned, so in the course of a year, the entire book is covered. There are other books covering the 2nd World War, Korea, and other conflicts that Canada has been involved in, they are still adding names to books.

A silhouette shot of the Library building taking from below Parliament Hill.

A view of the rear of the Center Block, taken from across the Ottawa River in Gatineau (Hull), Quebec.

Same view, different Angle, this one taken from Nepean point, standing atop the pillar supporting the statue of Samuel Champlain.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Parliament Hill - Ottawa, ON

That's one impressive piece of architecture. We'll never see such building again, me thinks.
    Didn't you feel strange not having to sneak in?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    That's one impressive piece of architecture. We'll never see such building again, me thinks.
    Didn't you feel strange not having to sneak in?
    LOL, no. Mostly because of the insane amount of security. To get into the House of Commons I had to go through three security check points. By the time I entered, I had nothing but the clothes on my back, and still they didn't like my safety shoes too much, but they didn't want to turn me away either.

Wow, what a place. Though your pictures are fantastic, I'm guessing "they don't do it justice." Enjoyable history lesson!

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

wow , what a beautiful place

is it open to visitors ? anyone can ho and take photos ?

Yes, most of the buildings are open to the public. However photography is prohibited in certain areas of the building. In fact I was asked to surrender my camera before entering the House of Commons.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I especially like the "Inside the Entrance" close-up/detail. IT just really wow'ed me!

Smile Re: Parliament Hill - Ottawa, ON

Axle, great images. It has been a long time since I have seen the building (Idea - why not go for a holiday!!) I was also told that one of the reasons for picking Bytown (now Ottawa) was that it was away from Lake Ontario, unlike Kingston and Toronto (Montreal was also on a body of water, the St. Lawrence). Bytown. being inland, it would be easier to defend against any possible invading forces, furthermore, they (the invaders) couldn't float a large battleship or two (or their equivalent in those days) up to the front of it and start bombarding it with the ships cannons. :idea:

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Fantastic place! Great shots there mate!

Thread Information