ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Paris night walk with RX100 and pocket tripod

The weather was horrible last night, low cloud and fine drizzle. Just right for Paris in the winter. And I had a new $8 pocket tripod to try out with the Sony RX100. Minimum gear..

All pictures Aperture priority f5 125 ISO done in RAW but in fact I didn't do any adjustment, it's exactly as the camera metered it.

- Montmartre
    - Eiffel Tower from behind Pont Bir-Hakeim.
    - Place Blanche
    - Place du Tertre
    - Sacré Coeur
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paris night walk with RX100 and pocket tripod-4804-006.jpg   Paris night walk with RX100 and pocket tripod-4804-018.jpg   Paris night walk with RX100 and pocket tripod-4804-020.jpg   Paris night walk with RX100 and pocket tripod-4804-021.jpg   Paris night walk with RX100 and pocket tripod-4804-023.jpg  

Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Paris night walk with RX100 and pocket tripod

Those are very well done Charles. Did you have a shutter cable or did you use the timer?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The timer. No way to fit a shutter cable. This thing is an advanced point-and-shoot, not a full feature camera.

It looks to me like I'm getting flare around bright lights. I'm going to have to check it against the S95. Designing a lens that fast that folds up that small is quite a feat but there may be some compromises. At least it's very sharp.
    Charles

These photos are great, Charles. They really show off the great image quality of the RX100. If there's lens flare, it's not enough to concern me - especially not considering that the camera fits in your pocket. One thing that would have been cool if is you had shot the same photos handheld at higher ISO settings so we could see a comparison.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'll have to go back with the S95 and do some handheld shots. Perhaps next weekend if the weather is right.

In the meantime here are a few hand-held from last week in England. This is really "I don't know if this is going to work but I'm going to give it a shot" stuff

1. Walking the dog away from the streetlights at 3200 ISO. I lifted the shadows with lightroom which has given it a slightly blue tinge. There is actually much more detail in the image than what I could see with my eyes.
    2. The dog at 2000 ISO. Easy
    3. Walking the dog at night at 3200 ISO under the streetlights, no manipulation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paris night walk with RX100 and pocket tripod-4796-007.jpg   Paris night walk with RX100 and pocket tripod-4797-004.jpg   Paris night walk with RX100 and pocket tripod-4797-005.jpg  
    Charles

Thread Information