ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Opinions please....

I was going through some recent shots and picking the keepers from the chaff. Anyway I was about to delete this one when a tiny voice in the back of my mind said to stop. I know I don't think this is a good image, but something is stopping me from getting rid of it. So I thought I would just ask what you guys thought of it?

I don't want to know if you would keep it or not, rather just your opinions on its merit as an image of a butterfly.

Thanks!

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Opinions please....

OOF, chopped feet and distracting BG dude.............................
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

As a butterfly pic it's not too good since it's OOF but it does have some interesting geometric stuff going on. I don't think that I would keep it but obviously something about it you like. I'd try to figure out what it is you like about it and maybe PS it to emphasize that characteristic or shoot something else to reproduce what you like about it. Sound like a good learning experience!

2k2s

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Out of focus, edge-on (little subject), unnatural background, maybe motion blur on the feet, legs cropped ... Overall, it wouldn't be a keeper for me.
    But I haven't tried butterfly/moth photograhy for over 20 years !
    I'll have to go out and see if I can still do it .

Getting the antennae sharp is very difficult from head on.
    I used to use 135mm lens, two flashguns (one on camera and one on L-grip) an extension tube and stop down all thw way to ff22. Even then I had trouble on large insects like emperor moth and purple emperor butterfly.

Interesting the little I can see looks like a Red Admiral, which I didn't think was a native US species.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    I was going through some recent shots and picking the keepers from the chaff. Anyway I was about to delete this one when a tiny voice in the back of my mind said to stop. I know I don't think this is a good image, but something is stopping me from getting rid of it. So I thought I would just ask what you guys thought of it?

I don't want to know if you would keep it or not, rather just your opinions on its merit as an image of a butterfly.

Thanks!
    The colors are striking, and catch your attention. The focus seems to be on the butterflies spots, which unfortunately are near perpendicular to the camera.

If it were mine, I'd delete it.

But the colors are interesting!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Out of focus, edge-on (little subject), unnatural background, maybe motion blur on the feet, legs cropped ... Overall, it wouldn't be a keeper for me.
    But I haven't tried butterfly/moth photograhy for over 20 years !
    I'll have to go out and see if I can still do it .

Getting the antennae sharp is very difficult from head on.
    I used to use 135mm lens, two flashguns (one on camera and one on L-grip) an extension tube and stop down all thw way to ff22. Even then I had trouble on large insects like emperor moth and purple emperor butterfly.

Interesting the little I can see looks like a Red Admiral, which I didn't think was a native US species.
    Thanks for the comments!

It is a, Polydamus SwallowTail (Battus polydamus lucaus). But we do have Red Admiral's here too.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    The colors are striking, and catch your attention. The focus seems to be on the butterflies spots, which unfortunately are near perpendicular to the camera.

If it were mine, I'd delete it.

But the colors are interesting!
    Thanks Speed!

I have decided to toss it in my snapshots folder, cuz I just can't seem to delete it. I love the colors too, but as 2Kids stated I like the geometric abstraction of it as well.

I don't know, I think more than anything else I am going to just keep it to learn from it.

Thanks!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

John. I agree with your keeping it if you like it. I have a GIG of crap images... because I like them ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    John. I agree with your keeping it if you like it. I have a GIG of crap images... because I like them ;)

John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Keep it.

If you have any question about this or any other shot, then just keep it. One more file won't take up much space.

Thread Information