ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Operating Temperature

I was watching a football game today and seen, like every week, the cameras on the sideline and in the endzone. It got me thinking, at what temp. should you start to worry about your camera. As I'm new to this and new to digital I looked at my camera's user guide, Canon Power Shot S1 IS, and it stats 0-40 deg C (32-104 deg F). I know that they use the high end dslr so I looked them up on Canon's website and they are rated the same also with 85% humidity. I was wondering what everyone is doing in the cold months when you are out with your camera.

Re: Operating Temperature

I just checked my user manual for a film slr, the operating temp is 4- 122, also, i checked a few dslr and they all seem to be from 32-100 something. High humidity is always a problem with electircal devices.

Interesting question... I have a Canon 10D and the manual says that it works to 32 degrees. It really work below that temp. The thing to watch out for with digital cameras is condensation. Especially going from cold to warm (less so going from warm to cold.) Condensation can form on the electronics in the camera and cause an early death... I always try to slowly transition the camera when I come in from the cold and allow it to warm to room tempature before turning it back on. Also it doesn't have weather seals so I don't shoot in the rain and snow.

Pentax Forum Moderator

For the most part, as I understand it, one of the main reasons for the temp settings are the batteries. I recently read where the batteries will discharge many times faster in cold/hot weather. I'm sure the pros are using "battery packs" or auxiliary power units. I have a little experience with electronics and don't know of any real reason most electronic components can't operate very well at temps much lower/higher than those listed on the cameras. The main problem with many of these products in extremes is the casings. With many of them being plastic, they tend to warp or crack in extreme temps. Admittedly, whether you have top dollar electronics, or the cheapest plastic piece out there, you must always take care to ensure that it is protected as best possible when trying to use it in extreme conditions. But then again...hehe...I could be totally wrong on this...but it is the conclusion that I have drawn.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    I was watching a football game today and seen, like every week, the cameras on the sideline and in the endzone. It got me thinking, at what temp. should you start to worry about your camera. As I'm new to this and new to digital I looked at my camera's user guide, Canon Power Shot S1 IS, and it stats 0-40 deg C (32-104 deg F). I know that they use the high end dslr so I looked them up on Canon's website and they are rated the same also with 85% humidity. I was wondering what everyone is doing in the cold months when you are out with your camera.
    Cold: Don't worry about it. I've used digital cameras in Gunnison, CO where the winter temperatures go down so low that the car has to warm up for almost an hour just to warm up the gear oil enough to shift gears! Keep an extra battery in your inner pocket. Watch out for condensation (at any temperature, actually). It will be fine.

Hot: Never took it past 104 F so I can't help you here!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

I'm no electronics expert, but I know that electronics operate more efficiently and faster at lower temperatures. I think your real concerns (for low temp) should be condensation and batteries.

The only time I've had a battery problem was when I was camping in New Mexico and the temp dropped to about 30 F. I woke up to a frozen water bottle and a dead camera. I had to take the camera battery out and warm it up in my hands before it would even turn on. But, it took all night to get the battery that cold. If you're just out shooting for a little while, it would have to be really cold to effect the battery. I sleep with the camera right next to me when I'm camping now, and haven't had a problem since.

Another time I woke up and set my camera in the sun to warm it before I started shooting. It was probably 38-ish that night and after 5 min in the sun, there was condensation inside the lens. I freaked out, of course, but when I put the lens back in the shade for a little while, the condensation disappeared, with no noticable effect. I think the problem here was extreme change, from cold to hot. Don't set a cold camera in the sun!

This is all from my experience with film cameras, but I hope it's helpful.

Paul

Hey Guys - it's no big deal. Here in Michigan it's 20° down to -5° for the next 4 months. I shoot at the Detroit Zoo all winter. Walking with my 20D exposed to the elements for 2+ hours at a time. Batts do lose power faster but keeping a backup in your inner pocket works just fine.

Biggest danger is the forming of condensation both IN CAMERA and LENS. Going from COLD TO WARM is what you need to protect your gear for. Moisture will condense in your camera mechanisms and INSIDE your lens elements.

Protection is easy - put each component (cam & lens) inside a Ziplock bag BEFORE coming inside. Push the excess air out before zipping up. Patience is the key. An hour is not too long to wait for the condensation to dissapate. Also - pop your CF card out before going in - that way you can download while your waiting.
    A couple of 20D's and some good glass
    My galleries www.pbase.com/jpferguson

That's what we do here in Ga., setiprime. Never had a problem yet, though it hasn't been below 28. Then again, if the temp is lower than 4 or higher than 122, and humidity is over 90%, I think I'll just take a day in front of the tv.

I do the bag deal but I put the whole camera and lens in together (attached) as there is less risk of condensation if I do not open it up. It normally takes 10 to 15 minutes to geth things to temp. It realy bites though going from shooting outside at 20 degrees and then going inside to shoot a swim meet where it's 80 degrees AND 95% humidity, and then back outside like I have to do this week and next.

JS

My Hassy works in temperatures that I can't. The only thing to worry about is the film snapping.
    http://www.antlockyer.com/
    http://fireplace.antlockyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer
    My Hassy works in temperatures that I can't. The only thing to worry about is the film snapping.

Oh, I am so jealous. ;) ;) That is my dream camera when, or if, I can ever afford one. Hey, it's not the NASA apporved camera for nothing.

In the winter, I keep my camera bag in the coldest closet in the basement, on the floor. I estimate its around 55 degrees in there, meaning the absolute humidity (in the camera and the lenses) stays low, and the delta versus outside temp is minimized.

I keep at least one of my two batteries in my pocket when I go shoot, even though my EN-EL3a is probably good for 300 shots at 30 degrees.

(In the Tetons, I once killed a cold P&S battery with only about 75 shots; after warming it up in my hands the next day, I squeezed another 75 out of it).

In the summer, if your home is air conditioned, you have the opposite (and less serious) problem. Taking a cold camera out into the humidity is like taking a cold soda out.

Thread Information