ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Old to the planet, new to the forum

Hi everyone. I am 56 and I have recently returned to photography after being side tracked for a couple of decades. I mean I would pic up the point and shoot every now and then and get some shoots but, for the most part my 35mm slr's just sat in the closet. Back in the day I would go out every couple of weeks or so and play around, nothing serious just casual shooting. Although most of my stuff is 35mm it was a simple Kodak Easy Share digital my wife bought me for christmas two years ago that got the juices flowing again. I have two Canon t70's that still work great that I have been using and I just picked up a brand new Nikon f65 that I have been playing with. If this turns into a serious hobby I will probably look into a DSLR in a year or so but, for now I am enjoying my old school 35mm stuff. I will warn you now, I will probably ask my share of stupid questions so brace yourself.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Old to the planet, new to the forum

I love stupid questions. Makes me feel smart. IF I know the answer that is.
    Questions help us all delve into the depths of our knowledge or get us to look stuff up.

Welcome to the friendly photo forums and will be watching for your questions and your photos.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

xjken, welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find a lot of very friendly and helpful people here, I know I have and continue to do so. Also, you should know that there are no such things as silly, stupid or nooby questions, only questions to expand your knowledge and, in a lot of cases, ours too. I know, I ask a lot of questions and get good responses and insight quickly from those more knowledgeable and experienced than I am. I also try to contribute when and where I can. I have been a "member" for about four years now and have enjoyed every minute of it - I hope you will too.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

There aren´t stupid questions if you ask me...the smart thing to do is ask
    Welcome to the forum and hope to see some shots of yours soon :thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

I have learned that no question is a dumb question when it comes to photography. I learn something new everyday thanks to the great group of people on these boards. We all learn from each other here,and there are some great photographers to learn from. Start saving for that DSLR..the bug is gonna get ya..I know it did me. I look forward to your future pictures. Welcome to the forum!!

Darin
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

From one Ohioan to another another, welcome to the site.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Welcome to the site from a southern neighbor. I'm just about 70 miles south east of you in the Bluegrass state. My story is a little like yours and from my handle you can tell the age is too. My advice is don't hold back on the dslr. I had been an avid 35mm film guy since the 60's but my first dslr opened up a whole new era in photography for me. Buying that first dslr 6 years ago was the best photography move I ever made.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I already know that there is a dslr in my future and I think it will be a Nikon (not sure which model) if my lenses from my F65 will work. For those of you that came over to digital from 35mm I have a question. Do you still use your film slr or do you shoot just with your digital? I really like using my film cameras. I am not a film over digital person, in fact I really like the ease of using my point and shoot digital and I already use it more than my slr. Just curious what percentages everyone here does.

Quote Originally Posted by xjken99
    I already know that there is a dslr in my future and I think it will be a Nikon (not sure which model) if my lenses from my F65 will work. For those of you that came over to digital from 35mm I have a question. Do you still use your film slr or do you shoot just with your digital? I really like using my film cameras. I am not a film over digital person, in fact I really like the ease of using my point and shoot digital and I already use it more than my slr. Just curious what percentages everyone here does.
    I couldn't (and still can't) bear to give up my 35mm Minolta SLR collection. I always figured I'd still use them as well, but really I haven't touched most of them in years since I went digital.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the forum

Once I got a digital camera I didn't touch the film camera again, even when it was like you a kodak easyshare Point and shoot.

Interesting question. I have 7 Nikon film bodies and thought that I would continue to shot with them after I went digital. When I was shooting with he Fuji S602Z I did. Once I got my first DSLR in 2004 I have not rule a single roll of film through a camera.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    I couldn't (and still can't) bear to give up my 35mm Minolta SLR collection. I always figured I'd still use them as well, but really I haven't touched most of them in years since I went digital.
    I still use my first real camera, a post WWII Leica IIIB clone. But it's so much cheaper to use digital. But I been a Nikon user since the 70's so I can use my old Nikon film lenses.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I went digital in '05 when I sold off most of my film equipment. But I kept my medium format gear and one Contax point-and-shoot "just in case". But like some of the others, I haven't shot a single frame of film since then.

I inherited a Nikon SLR a few years ago. Shot one roll of film to test the camera and lens but that was it.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Nikon lenses can be a little squirrely on compatibility, here's a chart on lens compatibility. LIke many here, I haven't shot a single roll of film since I went digital in 2002. I do see a subtle difference in film shots I occasionally see, but not enough to go back, the convenience, cost, and ease of use are enough to negate any advantage to film.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Auto Focus Minolta or the older SR mount? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I doesn't matter if you have a Canon, Nikon, or Pentax. If the lens isn't a AF lens you will never have Auto Focus with the lens, With the auto exposure/metering with the Nikon only on some models does the metering work as they included the aperture sensor for the older AI lenses.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Welcome to the forums! Great place to learn and get to know some other like minded folks.You will not regret getting a DSLR. I may shoot a roll or 2 of film a year just for the fact that there is NO instant knowing how the shot came out, and for the first half of the roll I still look at the back of the camera. Enjoy.
    Jimmy B
    PS You and Old Timer should meet at the overlook park looking towards Cincinnati!

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Auto Focus Minolta or the older SR mount? - TF
    Both. I have an SRT-101 and an SRT-201 both with a Rokkor MD 50mm 1.4. And I have two Maxxums and a small collection of lenses
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi everyone. I am 56 and I have recently returned to photography after being side tracked for a couple of decades. I mean I would pic up the point and shoot every now and then and get some shoots but, for the most part my 35mm slr's just sat in the closet. Back in the day I would go out every couple of weeks or so and play around, nothing serious just casual shooting. Although most of my stuff is 35mm it was a simple Kodak Easy Share digital my wife bought me for christmas two years ago that got the juices flowing again. I have two Canon t70's that still work great that I have been using and I just picked up a brand new Nikon f65 that I have been playing with. If this turns into a serious hobby I will probably look into a DSLR in a year or so but, for now I am enjoying my old school 35mm stuff. I will warn you now, I will probably ask my share of stupid questions so brace yourself.
    Hi "Ken"...quite a coincidence...I'm also Ken and also 56 and for stupid questions, I take the prize, at least for photography. I started here about 4 or 5 years ago as a complete novice. I had a 3mp Kodak easy share and very little knowledge, but knew that I really wanted to learn how to "photograph" properly the things I enjoyed. I found PR by accident and although I have checked out a few sites, this is the only site I have ever needed to learn my craft.
    There is a great family feeling here and everyone is so willing to help. And no one has ever treated my "stupid" questions as "stupid". I've learned so much that I have grown to be able to take photos that I feel comfortable selling and even selling myself to customers.
    So, after a long intro, what I'm trying to say is WELCOME TO PR! The greatest photo site on the web. IMHO!!!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information