ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

oh WOW wow WOW wow WOW - PS-CS!

I am just THRILLED at how it handles RAW files!!!! Wow, I hadn't tried one till tonight. WHOOPIE Yai Yai Yay! There are so many past files I can go back to now and mess with ... back in my PS 7 days I just reached the point of fatigue trying to work with them. But now they're so easy!

The only drawback to switching completely over to PS-CS is that I can't figure out how to get my actions that I recorded in PS7 transferred into PS-CS. I can't even find them. Shouldn't they be .atn files? They don't exist on my hard drive. And I can't seem to export them out of photoshop. Anyone know how to do it?

(whatever happened to Hodgy around here, anyway?)

Oh, and in case anybody cares, I'm in the process of having my case pleaded with Adobe to get the upgrade to PS-CS2, since I purchased CS the Friday before they released on Monday. The educational department I bought through is pleading on my behalf ... as soon as their "girl-who-does-that" gets back from vacation.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: oh WOW wow WOW wow WOW - PS-CS!

Kelly how did you move up to CS, did you overwrite the existing install, if so, it probably deleted all the files in photoshop 7 and then installed CS, did you back up your .atn files.

Looking in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Presets\Photoshop Actions

Wait until you see CS2 and its new features.

no I didn't overwrite, I still have a fully functioning PS 7. The CS did a completely new install into its own folder.

I can find the NoBs action set that I bought, but I can't find the ones that I recorded myself ... I suppose I could make them again but that's such a bother since I already made them once. I've got several made for adding my own custom borders, and a couple for preparing shots for posting here. I sure did love those actions.

And in my "actions" folder, I've got the ones that installed with PS7. The only ones I'm missing are the ones I made myself.

Ghost

You're correct about the file extention. Try searching your entire hard drive for *.atn files. There's no requirement that they be saved under a photoshop path so they could be anywhere. The easiest way to do this is double click my computer, right-click on your C: and choose search, where it asks for the files to search type *.atn and then press enter.

Ghost

Oh, and you might want to check your pants for some moisture....all that excitement and I think your bladder may have sprung a leak.....

Kelly, go into PS7, create an action anything will do, 1 step and then save it and watch the path it saves to, it will be easier to see that way.

I think you said you have already done a search, but you might find it is not in the path you searched in.

Edit,

I just created a 1 step action and saved it in Adobe Photoshop CS and it saved to

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Presets\Photoshop Actions

have you been saving your actions in Photoshop 7, if so, I think they should be in a similar folder in Photoshop 7.

So...do you like CS?

Early in the day, make a new action with PS7, close PS, and then search the hard drive for files with that days date.
    Is your computer set to hide files of some extensions?
    ----------------------------

Kelly, so how do you really feel?

Keep us updated on how you do with Adobe, I'm curious to see what they do for you.

Congratulations

Congratulations on discovering the real power of Photoshop CS, Kelly. I too, was blown away by how well the RAW conversion tools in CS work. And now there's CS2!

Please post a review for Photoshop CS and any other software you use. The software reviews are kinda weak. Plus, it's another entry in the current review contest...

Thanks!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hey, I figured it out. I had my actions just sitting in there with the PS7 default actions, so they weren't showing up "separately." I just made a new set (basically a folder, right?) and put mine inside there, and then I was able to save the set.

I hadn't been able to save the actions before, because they needed to be inside the bigger folder thing.

Thanks PJ, I guess I thought other people had taken care of "older" software reviews...

Reviews

Kelly-
    The reviews are never taken care of. There can never be enough. We always need more. The more there are, the more valuable and rich they are, and the more meaningful the rating is. If you have experience with something, I hope you'll post a review - whether it's old or not. Plus, we've never gotten enough software reviews. That's something I'd like to see change.

Thanks!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Reviews

Hey Kelly, I know what you're talking about when it comes to CS and RAW. I never shot RAW before because of the extra work involved and I wasn't a big fan of the Canon software that came with my camera. I tried a few experimental shots just for CS and I really liked it! It was so simple! Good luck with the free upgrade! I still have to get all the info they require so I can send mine in ASAP.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information