ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: oh the horror!

oh the horror!

While unpacking the car immediately before a big promo shoot with Kristanna Loken, my Canon 70-200mm f/4 lens tumbled out of my bag onto the asphalt of the parking lot. B+W filter is fine... but the front element of the lens has a big scallop crack in it, and won't focus either manually or AF. The rest of the shoot went fantastic, but I'm still disgusted with myself. Time to drown the sorrows perhaps...

Re: oh the horror!

Ouch! That hurts.... I have had gear broken, but fortunately with the help of others, specifically shooting basketball, having had thre 28-135mm lenses knocked off the body! The last one was a rental too....
    This is why insurance helps out BIGTIME!!!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Ouch. Sorry for your lost. I'm really scared to deal with my camera gear at my dorm room...all my floors are concrete, so if anything drops, it will take a miracle to save it.

Hopefully you can overcome the lost and keep on shooting!

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

gha! that sucks, sorry to hear that.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Just glad you weren't dependent on it for the shoot. I've had a few lenses and bodies take some nasty tumbles over the years but never to where they would not function at all afterwards. Hope repairs aren't too outrageous.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I did something along those lines a couple of years ago. Bummer. So the UV filter is fine but the front lens element was still damaged? Probably million-to-one odds of this happening again...

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

That sucks. You can't beat yourself up though. Accidents happen, you just have to roll with it.

I dropped my Mamiya on a rock last week. The lens got a scratch and the film door popped open, potentially exposing the last few frames I shot. I still don't know if the mechanics got screwed up or not.

The only thing you can do is promise yourself to be more careful in the future, and keep pushing forward with your work.

I know it still sucks though.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Pentax Forum Moderator

Bummer Phil...this is a dumb newbie and question...can it be repaired or do you need to purchase a new one. I know some things can be fixed, but am not sure about the glass. Anyway...I keep a rider on my homeowners insurance policy for all my stuff because like my agent said...you never know when your going to do something dumb like get up and walk off and forget your camera and when you remember it and go back......it's gone.
    Anyway...glad the shoot went well otherwise.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Oh the horror! The indignity! The Pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_USN
    While unpacking the car immediately before a big promo shoot with Kristanna Loken, my Canon 70-200mm f/4 lens tumbled out of my bag onto the asphalt of the parking lot. B+W filter is fine... but the front element of the lens has a big scallop crack in it, and won't focus either manually or AF. The rest of the shoot went fantastic, but I'm still disgusted with myself. Time to drown the sorrows perhaps...

Sorry to hear about that Phil.

Hopefully, they can replace the front element and the insides are OK.

I feel your pain.

It's incredible that the filter survived and the front element got busted. Amazing.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

While unpacking the car immediately before a big promo shoot with Kristanna Loken, ...
    Look at the bright side - you got to take pictures of Kristanna Loken!
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Ooh! That hurts.

I will always remember at age 11 standing on the edge of a canyon in British Columbia, I dropped a lens when I was trying to screw in a Pentax to the old style mount.

I dove for it and caught it, but I almost went over the edge in the process.

Ronnoco

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Your story actually reminded me of the time I dropped my autofocus Sigma in a creek. I pulled it out with water running out of its innards. Figured it was done.

Didn't get upset, put it on the windshield of my car in the sun, a day or so later put it back on the camera and it works fine. Autofocus and all I still use it frequently to this day.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I'd break a lens to do a shoot with her! Be thankful;)
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

my Canon 70-200mm f/4 lens tumbled out of my bag onto the asphalt of the parking lot.
    OUCH! Glad you still got the shots.
    I thought I was luckier with my 70-200 f2.8 IS and its excursion to the tarmac,
    Becuase I'd been using it, the lens hood was on and so it bounced off the lens hood, onto the tripod ring, then onto the lens hood, then onto the tripod ring ... in all it bounced like that about 6 times before finally hitting the deck.
    Immediately afterwards it worked!
    Only the metal ring on the end moved, so the lend hood slopped about. The lens elements were undamaged !
    About 6 months later, the diaphragm fails to stop down properly, resulting in random over exposure.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks for the encouragement, all. The shoot went great and she's very interested in my Iraq work, so I made a friend that night. I've been shooting a BUNCH since then and getting the shots with just a 50mm and a 28mm, so the tele-zoom is a luxury worst case scenario. This is why I think that budding photographers should be only allowed to use a 50mm lens and a camera body when starting out. That's what I learned on and used for years until I invested in a tele-zoom for my old Pentax about 10 years ago. Anyways, I contacted Canon and got a return authorization. The repair could cost as little as $80, but I'm not counting on it. We'll see. I DO have the lens insured, but here's where we get into deductable vs. repair vs. new lens cost. My deductable on my camera gear is $500 and it's that high because I was thinking catastrophic failure or theft of both camera and lens or the whole bag. Then $500 would be equitable. $500 deductable on a $600 lens is just not worth it since my insurance company will be taking at least 3 months to process and complete the claim. I never thought I'd drop just a lens, but it's been a learning experience. Until then, I need to live by HC Bresson's words & if my photos aren't good enough, get closer.

Just me and my camera

Sorry to hear that Phil. That's one of my worse nightmares. I try so hard to protect my camera all the time because I only have one and I don't have the money to replace/fix it. I'm glad your shoot went well though!
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Thread Information