ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Roadin'!

Off Roadin'!

I went off the beaten path today and did a little trail riding. It would have been nice to have somebody there with me to get some better pics, but I was doing a solo, so the pics are the best I could get alone.

Jacksonville, Florida.

Trying something new here, just click a thumbnail to see the larger image...

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Off Roadin'! .... 56k Warning!

You have better tires on your Ranger than we do.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Re: Off Roadin'!

Don't you know the first rule of "off roading" .... never go alone, always have two trucks. To that end we once went offroading with 6 trucks, as soon as the first one got stuck the other 5 "sank" at the same time, all buried to te frames. We spent the next 6 hours getting unstuck, but we got them out. I sank my 78 Blazer and it took two trucks to get it out. We all then went to eat breakfast at Bob's Bigboy, all covered in mud head to toe. Now thats 4 wheelin!
    Below is my present 4x4 offroad toy

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Off Roadin'!-js067503b.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    That might be because I drive an F-150...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Don't you know the first rule of "off roading" .... never go alone, always have two trucks. To that end we once went offroading with 6 trucks, as soon as the first one got stuck the other 5 "sank" at the same time, all buried to te frames. We spent the next 6 hours getting unstuck, but we got them out. I sank my 78 Blazer and it took two trucks to get it out. We all then went to eat breakfast at Bob's Bigboy, all covered in mud head to toe. Now thats 4 wheelin!
    Below is my present 4x4 offroad toy

JS
    Well, I wasn't far from home really. I was actually out behind Home Depot. I had my cell, but I prolly should have not gone alone, I agree. But you know how it is, you're driving by and you see that dirt road...
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Frog,
    Now these a 4 wheelin tires, narrow and a big bite. For rock crawling there is a set of wide tires like this in the garage that are almost 3 times wider. These treads are an inch deep and they really dig in.:thumbsup:

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Off Roadin'!-js067503c.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Well, I wasn't far from home really. I was actually out behind Home Depot. I had my cell, but I prolly should have not gone alone, I agree. But you know how it is, you're driving by and you see that dirt raod...
    yeah, i know, been there done that myself, and on more than one occasion i got stuck, alone! one night with my girlfriend who was in no mood to help i had to hand winch my Blazer out of a quarry after it slid off the trail. i used a hi-Lift jack and a chain wrapped around a tree. it took two hours of winching to get it out. That poor girl didn't do a thing and was covered in mud Oh well, we had fun That ole Blazer went through hell, and 6 motors and 8 transmissions while i had it. We always had working CB's just in case.
    i may get some good wheelin photos next month as we are planning a trip to haspin Acres and a day on the trails I have to trailer my Jeep though as it's not road legal.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Looks pretty cool Almo. JS, that looks like just about a perfect offroad vehicle. Most of my friends' are all too nice, so they're a bit cautious with things.

I like the dedicated vehicle idea as well, though I prefer two less wheels and a bit of air to go with the dirt and mud. And, believe it or not, I've been in mud (Alabama clay, lovely stuff) so thick that it buried the bike up the axles. I got off and it just stood there by itself.

These are some old pics from back in the 3x zoom, 3mp P&S days. I'm #19, my brother is #145.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Off Roadin'!-mx1.jpg   Off Roadin'!-mx2.jpg   Off Roadin'!-mx3.jpg   Off Roadin'!-mx4.jpg  
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Missed a detail again, Almo.
    Well they're the same color and shape and size wasn't apparent.
    My 4 wheelin days are about over though I do explore some logging roads around here.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by brmill26
    Looks pretty cool Almo. JS, that looks like just about a perfect offroad vehicle. Most of my friends' are all too nice, so they're a bit cautious with things.

I like the dedicated vehicle idea as well, though I prefer two less wheels and a bit of air to go with the dirt and mud. And, believe it or not, I've been in mud (Alabama clay, lovely stuff) so thick that it buried the bike up the axles. I got off and it just stood there by itself.

These are some old pics from back in the 3x zoom, 3mp P&S days. I'm #19, my brother is #145.

Oh that Jeep has gotten some air note the bent bar on the steering...... thats from getting airborne and one hard landing (actually more than one). I have to change the pinion bearing before it goes and plays again, that 4.0 is beating the daylights out of that rearend. I have two daily drivers that are also 4x4's, another Comanchee (91) and a 97 Ram 2500HD that tows this one to whereever we play at.

Looks like I may need the 4x4 in the morning....it's snowing!
    JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Missed a detail again, Almo.
    Well they're the same color and shape and size wasn't apparent.
    My 4 wheelin days are about over though I do explore some logging roads around here.
    your never too old to 4 wheel Frog. you just get your friends to fix your truck and pull you out when your stuck
    We have one guy who still plays at 72, he just loves it. We tow his truck for him and once where we are going to play he takes over ;)
    JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I was just offroading in chicago - huge water main break and the streets are flooded like a river. Water is in people's lawns and up to the doors of their cars. four inches of snow is falling too. It's nice to have a 4x4, it is the only reason I could get home tonight!!

and JS - NICE fender flares. I've been thinking about the sawzall fender job too.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Ok I had to add a shot of my 4x4 F150 into the mix to. This shot was taken with a point and shoot Olympus D545 I think it was. My truck is on the beach at Avon NC. The Outer Banks.Beautiful place, I recommend it for all.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

I mess the old WWII jeep I had. Heck it was light and it you had the man power you could jest pick it up and move it.

PS it also got 22 MPG on a weekly average!!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Almo,

Dirt roads are what you take to get to the off-roading, not off-roading all on their own.

Here's a couple of me last time I went (2 years ago...). Posted with permission.

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Almo,

Dirt roads are what you take to get to the off-roading, not off-roading all on their own.

Here's a couple of me last time I went (2 years ago...). Posted with permission.
    Well, I only had the nerve to hop out of my truck for pictures on dry land...

And, like I said, I was alone, so no buddies around to help me get those stunning shots..:mad2:

But I guess I really should have said trail riding, because that is what it was mostly. I have no desire to get bogged when I am all alone. Still, a hell of a good time...:thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

This is what I use for my off road assult vehicle

Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Olympus 40-150mm F4.0-5.6
    Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

I see you're in the Jax area. Did you take the truck to Middleburg? I used to live there in the late 70's. I would take my 77 Bronco down Youngblood Johns Cemetery Road around 2 in the AM with some buddies and camp out/raise hell type stuff. Those were the days of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, mullet haircuts. Yeah Baby!
    JUST TAKE THE DAMN PICTURE!

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Almo
    Good to see your giving that K10D a work out
    Nice shots
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    This is what I use for my off road assult vehicle

I need to get me one of these. I am on a weight loose kick. I have lost like 30 lbs or so. I need to shave off about 50 more. I tink that would do it.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Off roading? YUP! The first image here shows my little Sammy in front, and my friends Jeep behind it from an outing a while back. We were exploring one of many attractions hidden in the Southern Nevada Desert. An old abandoned mining operation in a remote area.
    -Bruce

A different angle. My friend Chris is standing over one of the miners dwellings here.

Inside looking out. (Sounds like an old GFR tune, eh?)

Cruz - you ever come down here and hit up the Oak Mountain state park loop? I used to go ride parts of that back in high school... and it kicked my butt back then. I can't imagine how bad it'd be now. For those who don't know, it's a ~17mi loop of pretty rough, very tight, hilly terrain.

Ballen - old mines are fun - we have tons of old abandoned iron ore mines all around Birmingham. Almost all of them have long since collapsed, but many of the mine heads are still there. This is one of Sloss's, the date reads 1890. (taken with my Canon Optura 60 camcorder)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Off Roadin'!-sloss.jpg  
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Quote Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    I was just offroading in chicago - huge water main break and the streets are flooded like a river. Water is in people's lawns and up to the doors of their cars. four inches of snow is falling too. It's nice to have a 4x4, it is the only reason I could get home tonight!!

and JS - NICE fender flares. I've been thinking about the sawzall fender job too.

lol, yeah, I bought it that way, it's not how I would have done it but Oh well, we'll see what I can do with it, I have two more fenders now from one I scrapped, so this one may get two blue fenders and doors.Then again, it may just loose the doors altogether

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by brmill26
    Cruz - you ever come down here and hit up the Oak Mountain state park loop? I used to go ride parts of that back in high school... and it kicked my butt back then. I can't imagine how bad it'd be now. For those who don't know, it's a ~17mi loop of pretty rough, very tight, hilly terrain.
    I try to make it to Oak Mountain at least once a year. I usually prefer to ride it on my single speed, compared to the trails I normally ride at Monte Sano, Oak Mtn is very smooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Off Roadin'!-oakmtn.jpg  
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Olympus 40-150mm F4.0-5.6
    Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

I still get out a little when I need to, especially for photo purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Off Roadin'!-dsc_0034-034-small-.jpg  
    Keep Shooting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information