ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT ...and i'm still waiting patiently
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I THINK I MAY HAVE....... but these are GREAT for a handheld long lens WITHOUT IS!!!!!

some day we can all get together in TRUE NATURE and spend more than 3 hours.

2 days with me and I'll have you stalking nature like a cat ;)

2 days with the Bowhays and i'll be framing landscapes better too
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Talking Hey I think I see myself in one of your pics>>>

Penny,

The one you took from the water of the Colgate clock. The twin red brick towers to the right and behind them is my building. I don't know that I can count up to my 30th floor so maybe I am not in the picture afterall.

Jeff

lighten up the red eared slider image(all actually... could be my monitor though?)

the male cardinal handheld at 1/160th on a 170-500 is great Gene!

The robin is good too!!!!

speeking of " my lens" were are the images taken with my 28-70 f2.8???

I would have passed off ANY GEAR i had with me...... as mentioned in EMAIL and HERE!!!!

A 100-400 ISN'T a big lens....... a 400f2.8 is though

NO BIRD IMAGES from me in this thread...... the AVIAN GLORY belongs to my Bowhay FRIENDS!!!!!

when ever you hit the EAST COAST.... I'll surely try my best to JOIN IN AGAIN!!!

btw... your gear was not too shabby either
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

These are great Gene

I won't be discouraging you from moving---that just means you'll be closer to us

these are wonderful Gene especially the turtle and Robin
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Liz

Hi Gene......

Nice shots.......I love the landscape with the trees, buds, gentle colors....excellent. I never would have thought of shooting this area......great capture.

It was really good spending time with you and Penny - and the rest of the gang. I hope we can do it again soon.

Liz ;)

Quote Originally Posted by genebowhay
    After being back in California for a few days, I'm ready to pack up everything and move to New York. The energy in NYC REALLY draws me to that great city. Also, the air is clean and there's much more than skyscrapers.

I took this first picture from the Circle LIne Cruise Boat. This is the woods with the trees getting their spring leaves located near Sugar Hill.

The other bird pictures and the turtle were all taken in Central Park.

I'm ready to start planning another trip to NYC and I know that PhotoExpo is coming sometime in October. What do all of you think about planning another Gathering around that time? Think about it!

Best Regards.
    Gene Bowhay
    Woodland Hills, CA

P.S. And yes, I'm sure that Paul's pictures are a lot better than mine. You should have seen the glass he had attached to his camera!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey, great wildlife pics!

I especially enjoyed the Cardinal shot (get it? cardinal shot) because it;s VA's state bird, and hey, it's a great shot

Bad news from me: I can't find the 3 rolls of B+W I shot on the trip I'm always losing film and refinding it though so it'll probably pop up again in no time.

Again, great shots Gene!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thanks, but...

what's an industrial age cloister?
    Walter Rick Long

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I'm so misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    what's an industrial age cloister?

From Merriam-Webster online:
    1 a : a monastic establishment b : an area within a monastery or convent to which the religious are normally restricted c : monastic life d : a place or state of seclusion
    2 : a covered passage on the side of a court usually having one side walled and the other an open arcade or colonnade

#2 can usually be found at #1.

It's a great pic of Liz!

Megan

Liz

Cool I understood it, Megan!

And I liked the term a lot. Perfect title - and thanks for the kind words.....I also like the photo. Nice job Rick.

Rick - please Email me at Marymarla @ aol.com - and I'll send you my address if you would PLEASE send me a print (small)....I also would like to have one or two of your excellent images of the dancer. Mine were ALL BAD! I didn't do well at all with all the contrast of the bright sun, building/glass glare, her dark complexion, the gold dress and dark shadows......now I know what I have to work on. Also - you were closer and had a longer zoom (I had to find some excuse for my poor results).

PS - please put "Rick" in the subject so I won't delete your email as I usually don't open any emails unless I know who they're from. Thanks.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by megan

From Merriam-Webster online:
    1 a : a monastic establishment b : an area within a monastery or convent to which the religious are normally restricted c : monastic life d : a place or state of seclusion
    2 : a covered passage on the side of a court usually having one side walled and the other an open arcade or colonnade

#2 can usually be found at #1.

It's a great pic of Liz!

Megan

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Thanks guys!...

I know you guys are sharing these with each other, but I just want you all to know how much the rest of us enjoy viewing the photos and reading the comments about the weekend.

Seriously, it's almost like when I get family pics from my sister in Europe...

It also reminds me how much I miss NY. I would really like to try to get up there for a visit this summer or early fall. Hopefully some of you up that way will have time to get together for a beer and a slice!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Hi Everyone -
    We had a great time - Megan, Joe Mags, Gene & Penny Rick, & me........I didn't get many people pics......but here's a couple I did get. First ones in the subway station.......we went to supper in Astoria - a place Megan took us to. The 3rd is on the ferry - just before we started out.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Liz

Cool Steve....good idea....maybe a new plan

Thanks for the comments Steve, and the kind words. I did wonder if other people not involved enjoyed reading the posts. I'm glad you're enjoying them .

You know, your idea about another NY gathering, along with others mentioning more visits to NY made me think that it might be worth pursuing it further. Because NY is where a lot of people go for vacation, weekends, business, etc., and it's easily accessible - why couldn't we have more frequent gatherings - or just times when a few people could get together for fun. I know I would be there whenever possible, even change my schedule.

We could put the word out - and even if it's only a few people (we had 6) so what? We certainly enjoyed it. Joe & I were only there Saturday, and Paul on Sunday, Rick 2 days, Penny & Gene 4-5 days including their looooonnng plane ride. I love NY and go into the city as often as I can. It's never boring.

Just a thought. In answer to your original question - yes, I would love to meet anyone, anytime when they're in NY! I live 25 minutes by bus from NY and could offer a room or two for anyone interested.

Just to add to your idea.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    I know you guys are sharing these with each other, but I just want you all to know how much the rest of us enjoy viewing the photos and reading the comments about the weekend.

Seriously, it's almost like when I get family pics from my sister in Europe...

It also reminds me how much I miss NY. I would really like to try to get up there for a visit this summer or early fall. Hopefully some of you up that way will have time to get together for a beer and a slice!

give me notice and i'll watch you(and who ever else joins in) drink til you drop!

but 2 slices sound GEEEEERR ATE
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

It's funny....

I've always loved the light in that passage - and most people probably think it's ugly, but I've always loved the rich colors of the layers of paint and raw architecture of the exposed iron work. It's funny how beauty can be found in such an ordinary, utilitarian, mundane place as a subway passage. And rick's camera captured the colors perfectly!

Megan

PS of course I was being melodramatic with the "I'm so misunderstood!" ;)

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Well, that's really what I mean...

Liz,

I've learned the hard way not to use the "G" word if I can help it. If I come up for a visit, I'd let everyone know, and then whomever can get together gets together.

At this point, whether it's called a Gathering or not makes little difference to me...

Thanks for the comments Steve, and the kind words. I did wonder if other people not involved enjoyed reading the posts. I'm glad you're enjoying them .

You know, your idea about another NY gathering, along with others mentioning more visits to NY made me think that it might be worth pursuing it further. Because NY is where a lot of people go for vacation, weekends, business, etc., and it's easily accessible - why couldn't we have more frequent gatherings - or just times when a few people could get together for fun. I know I would be there whenever possible, even change my schedule.

We could put the word out - and even if it's only a few people (we had 6) so what? We certainly enjoyed it. Joe & I were only there Saturday, and Paul on Sunday, Rick 2 days, Penny & Gene 4-5 days including their looooonnng plane ride. I love NY and go into the city as often as I can. It's never boring.

Just a thought. In answer to your original question - yes, I would love to meet anyone, anytime when they're in NY! I live 25 minutes by bus from NY and could offer a room or two for anyone interested.

Just to add to your idea.

Liz
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Of course!

We wouldn't dream of taking you seriously!

I get it now, thanks for explaining it for me. I even got my Master's from a Catholic College
    Walter Rick Long

Liz Liz Liz

1.) I just shot you an email
    2.) I just pointed and shot If my camera hadn't had automatic mode, those dancer pictures would've stunk, I promise you! God bless electronic cameras (though I shouldn't keep giving away my secrets!)

I'll mail you those pics when I get your address. That reminds me, too we ALL still need to exchange addresses! How should we go about picking out prints? Should we all just make requests of each other? Or we pick out which to send?

I think we have plenty of time before we need to start worrying about prints.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Hey guys.

I'll have to bow out of another NY gather - um - get together this year, especially around that time. I am planning a 2-week assault on the Southwest US in early fall and wouldn't be able to afford BOTH (I'll probably be working weekends to pay for it, too)

BUT if anyone would like to consider a Las Vegas gathering in late September, I'll be there

Rick

p.s. Have fun in NY!
    Walter Rick Long

Liz

Rick........prints

I agree - no rush for the prints.. I'll send you my address. The prints you mentioned are fine - I'd love to get them. BTW, speaking of prints - I think your gallery image of the dark cloud with the sun below reflecting down on a town is AWESOME. Congratulations on being at the right place at the right time. Incredible!

Dancer - I tried aperture priority and auto.....and tried metering on grayish areas....nothing worked. I think the auto on the P&S cameras are set to do a better job than the DSLR. However, you did great.

Liz

1.) I just shot you an email
    2.) I just pointed and shot If my camera hadn't had automatic mode, those dancer pictures would've stunk, I promise you! God bless electronic cameras (though I shouldn't keep giving away my secrets!)

I'll mail you those pics when I get your address. That reminds me, too we ALL still need to exchange addresses! How should we go about picking out prints? Should we all just make requests of each other? Or we pick out which to send?

I think we have plenty of time before we need to start worrying about prints.

Rick

Thanks Liz!

I saw that scene unfolding in front of me and thanked my lucky stars that I had my camera and gear in stow with me It was one of those days I MADE myself go for a walk and gee did it pay off! Thanks again!

I think it's funny what you said about p&s auto mode being better than Dslr's I would hope you're wrong (for the amount of money paid) but I have no point of reference to argue from.

Have a good one!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Liz

Lightbulb Rick....P&S vs DSLR auto mode....clarification

Hi Rick,
    I thought I read about P&S camera settings vs DSLR settings here (I remember now - it was posted by Michael Fanelli a while back). But I've read it elsewhere too.

I read that digital point & shoot cameras are set up for users who want a great pic right out of the camera - the normal p&s snapshooters, so the images are sharper, etc. right out of camera without a lot of work/post processing, etc.. Whereas the DSLR's are geared toward photographers whom it is assumed will do the fine tuning, etc. (sort of like RAW vs JPEG type thing). I find I get sharper images with less work with my G3, but the quality of the Rebel with an "L" lens is waaaaay far better. Make sense?

But.......It's late, I'm tired, and I may not be explaining this as clear as Michael did - but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.....my brain is on overload this weekend. Too much to do - and the weekend hasn't even begun!

Liz

I saw that scene unfolding in front of me and thanked my lucky stars that I had my camera and gear in stow with me It was one of those days I MADE myself go for a walk and gee did it pay off! Thanks again!

I think it's funny what you said about p&s auto mode being better than Dslr's I would hope you're wrong (for the amount of money paid) but I have no point of reference to argue from.

Have a good one!

Rick
    Last edited by Liz; 04-30-2004 at 07:07 PM. Reason: late night mistakes.....

I guess that makes sense.

That your dslr's would let YOU do all the sharpening yourself. But I still find it kind of silly...

Have a good weekend! I'm still struggling to get back in the groove after last weekend

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Liz

Smile For Rick............It's back!

Ok......start posting! ;) And have a great weekend!

Liz

Hi Everyone -
    We had a great time - Megan, Joe Mags, Gene & Penny Rick, & me........I didn't get many people pics......but here's a couple I did get. First ones in the subway station.......we went to supper in Astoria - a place Megan took us to. The 3rd is on the ferry - just before we started out.

Yay!

I got 2 rolls of black and white from the cruise back today.

PLUS Megan and Joe haven't shared! -hint-

Thanks Master Liz!
    Walter Rick Long

My Two Cents

Hello all. I'm glad this was put back up. I was wondering what happened to it. I just got my film back a few days ago, and have been too lazy to do the scanning. Let me say I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone. Thank god Penny and Gene are such nice honest people and didn't take Pauls advise to sell my speedlight for fifty bucks. I mean I would have at least tried to get a hundred! A love all the pics that have been posted so far, most especially the shot of Liz on the "L" platform that Rick took. Just outstanding! I wish I could have made the park on Sunday. Maybe next time. I really hope we do another meet later in the year.

Take Care,
    Joe Mags
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NYC Mini Gathering Pics.....-nyc-paper-boxes.jpg   NYC Mini Gathering Pics.....-taxi-shop.jpg   NYC Mini Gathering Pics.....-esb.jpg   NYC Mini Gathering Pics.....-jersey-side.jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information