ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep

Saw an interesting article in the paper this weekend about a different kind of photography organization and thought I would share it here.
    The article >>
    Organizations Site>>
    There is a spot on their site where they are looking for more people to get involved if for those that may interested in something like this.

Phil
    Last edited by PMW518; 02-07-2007 at 12:59 PM.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep

I think this is a wonderful and moving organization. I considered offering my services, but I think it would be too overwhelming for me emotionally.

Thanks for the link.

btw, first link is expired.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I think it would be too overwhelming for me emotionally...
    I agree. I don't think I could handle it. Beautiful idea, though...

One project I would like to be involved with in my area is the new trend of taking pro portraits of children up for adoption and organizing either a web site of gallery show (or both).

Photos for prospective adoptive parents to pour over have traditionally been almost like mug shots, often quite cold and unemotional. This new project has pros (and advanced amateurs, I suppose) take candid, fun-filled shots of the kids playing or laughing.

They've discovered that a child's chances of being chosen for adoption (especially older kids) improved dramatically when the adults viewed these warm and emotional photos.

The photographers donate their time to take part in this. I can only image how fulfilling it must be to know your skill and effort changed someone's life.

Sorry to change the subject, but this thread's topic made me think about it...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have heard about this organization and I think it's wonderfull. Like others have said, I'm not sure if I would be able to handle the emotional side of a project like this.

Steve, I have also heard about pro photogs taking pictures of children that were up for adoption. I think this is also a great cause.

I don't know of any places like that near me, but I'm assuing there is one in Madison. Which is about an hour drive from here.

I have thought about offering my services for something very similar, but closer to home, and that is for the local humane society. Most of the photos they have on their website, are just as Steve described the adoption photos, cold and unemotional.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

when i was about 2 i lost my younger brother to sids (sudden infant death syndrome) at the time we only had 9 photos of him. my Grandma took the photos and had them reprinted and framed not knowing if it was the right thing to do. (especially since my mother had a breakdown over it) but those yellowing poor 110 photos that show the light leaks from the kodak instamatic are the most cherished in my parents house. Obviously i don't remember any of this but reading this story made me remember my dad telling me about having to identify the body and inspite of his grief saying in his native tongue goodnight little one then blessing my brother..... as everyone said i don't think i could do it but it is a worthwhile cause nonetheless.

Hmm sorry about the link, I tried posting a link to it from a search since you had to be a member or something to view it otherwise. It was a good write up about one of the photogs that does it, and just from reading some of it and looking through the site I completely agree with everyone else that it would be really hard emotionally, not sure I could take it either. I admire those that can and appreciate what they are doing. Not to mention some of the things like they mentioned in the article, like getting a phone call at 3 in the morning to come to the hospital and do a shoot. The lady that they wrote about had a bag in her car or with her at all times since she was basically "on call" for a shoot at any time, that would be a little rough too.

Checked again and now the link up there is going to a completely different article, I'll Try it again not sure if it works or not Link>>
    Last edited by PMW518; 02-08-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

I got involved in a state run orphanage in Vientiane Laos when I was there in '04..Most of these kids had been abandoned by their parents for the simple reason they were too poor to care for them..They were usually left at a Buddhist temple..
    I spent an hour or so a week just reading to them,,,most couldn't understand what I was reading but their eyes never left me...Most were between 18 months and 5 years of age..

Very sad but also rewarding,,,bitter/sweet...When I enquired about adoption I met a brick wall..

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

So the site doesn't allow direct linking to the articles for some reason. But if any one is interested in reading the article go Here and then in the search box type "photographer" (minus the quotes) then go to the third result should have a title of:
    "3. St. Paul Pioneer Press (MN) - February 4, 2007 - A1 MAIN

WITH HER PHOTOGRAPHS THE FIRST HOURS, THE ONLY HOURS CAPTURING A TIME OF BOTH JOY AND HEARTACHE, HEATHER LOMBARDO HELPS......"

Sorry about not getting it to work earlier.

Phil

Thread Information