ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Not One, But Two...

C-5 aircraft in Juneau. It's pretty rare when one of these comes to town, but 2 at a time is really a rarity. As I understand it the C-5 in the background had a mechanical problem with the landing gear, so they sent the second (foreground) with the parts and some help.
    I realize it's not the best exposure/comp, etc, but this was the best I could do as the sun was in front and to the right...and I was limited to where I could "roam" even with my airport I.D. I used my Olympus p&s that I take to work (for such occasions as this). Some cropping in the foreground.

jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not One, But Two...-c5-aircraft-jnu-resized-3.jpg  
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

Not One, But Two...

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_in_ak
    C-5 aircraft in Juneau. It's pretty rare when one of these comes to town, but 2 at a time is really a rarity. As I understand it the C-5 in the background had a mechanical problem with the landing gear, so they sent the second (foreground) with the parts and some help.
    I realize it's not the best exposure/comp, etc, but this was the best I could do as the sun was in front and to the right...and I was limited to where I could "roam" even with my airport I.D. I used my Olympus p&s that I take to work (for such occasions as this). Some cropping in the foreground.

jeff
    That is too cool! The C-5 is HUGE. You've got to see it to believe it. What is really amazing is watching one take off. They look like they are barely moving, then they pull up into the air. And once airborne, they look like they are floating rather than flying. They are so big, you can't get a sense of their airspeed.

What Olympus P&S did you use? I bought my wife a Stylus eight years ago, and we're looking at getting a Stylus 400 (digital) in the near future.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Ha! It's a wonder the second one didn't break also. It's so big and complicated that they seem to have a problem after every flight (sometimes before the flight). But Speed is right, they are pretty cool to watch takeoff, fly and land. It's hard to tell but the cockpit is actually about 25-30 feet off the ground (about where the third floor of a building would be).

Nice scenery in the background!! Do you work at an airport? Or just lucky enough to be driving by?
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Thread Information