ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liz

My wonderful XTi - keep it? or....sell it?

I could use all the input I can get. I love my Canon XTi - but seldom use it because of my back problems. I've been hoping that Canon would come out with a micro four-thirds system by now. I've seen the Olympus and Panasonic four-thirds - and think they still need some improvement. Being a Canon "L" fan, the IQ is No. 1 priority to me and I haven't seen anything that I'm happy with yet with the new systems that have come out. At least nothing that matches the IQ of the dslr.

I just checked with a dealer who buys used equipment and can still get an excellent price for my XTi which is in like-new condition with all the original contents in the box. I realize that I won't be able to get such a good price for very long, so I'm seriously wondering if I should sell it while I have the chance. I had to sell my "L" lenses due to the weight, but I love the image quality I get with the XTi and my 50mm/f1.4 and 28mm/f1.8 lenses, but don't use it very often.

I do have the Canon G9 and the Panasonic LX3 which are both excellent point and shoots - but IMO neither matches the quality of the dslr output. I enjoy using these cameras, but much prefer the XTi. When I get a smaller dslr or four-thirds camera, I will sell the G9.

I'd appreciate any and all input and thoughts you might have.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz

Re: My wonderful XTi - keep it? or....sell it?

Im so sorry to hear that you are having back problems and that it is interfering with your photography. I don't have any advice for your xti because I am not familiar with the system. But I can say that if you are having back problems and carry some or alot of equipment, make sure you get your self a nice waist camera bag. Backpacks and shoulder bags are not good choices if you have any back problem. Good luck and take care!
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by LightBright
    Im so sorry to hear that you are having back problems and that it is interfering with your photography. I don't have any advice for your xti because I am not familiar with the system. But I can say that if you are having back problems and carry some or alot of equipment, make sure you get your self a nice waist camera bag. Backpacks and shoulder bags are not good choices if you have any back problem. Good luck and take care!
    Thanks for the input....actually I've tried the waist camera bag - a few of them, and find them not comfortable. Somehow they still bother my back.

Liz

sorry to hear this. if you can't use it, then i'd say sell it now while the gettings good.

i just got the g10, i'm hoping it will work nicely as a substitute for the dslr when the bulk of them isn't possible.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Liz, I am very sorry to hear your back problems have become so severe.
    I have no advice on whether to sell or not but wonder if you've tried any of the camera harness devices of which there are several.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    sorry to hear this. if you can't use it, then i'd say sell it now while the gettings good.

i just got the g10, i'm hoping it will work nicely as a substitute for the dslr when the bulk of them isn't possible.
    Adina,

Great choice. I really like my G9 - and the G10 has many improvements - especially the nice wide angle. It's a great camera! Enjoy!

Yes, I'm getting more inclined to sell it now - as I'm getting a good deal. It's just hard to sell the camera I love and enjoy the most! It works well with the smaller lenses like my 28mm/f1.8 and the 50mm/f1.4 (my fav). However, carrying it around for just a couple hours takes all the "fun" out of it!

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Liz, I am very sorry to hear your back problems have become so severe.
    I have no advice on whether to sell or not but wonder if you've tried any of the camera harness devices of which there are several.
    I've checked out different devices that I've seen from posters here - but most of them are fairly cumbersome.........and the others I just didn't think would work.

Thanks for the input, Frog........

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Adina,

Great choice. I really like my G9 - and the G10 has many improvements - especially the nice wide angle. It's a great camera! Enjoy!

Liz
    I got it last week...haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it yet, but i'm hoping to get it out and about these next few weeks...
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Liz,

I know you have sold a few great lenses in the past due to the weight so I know it's a big issue for you. Knowing that you love the IQ of the L lens, but the weight is too much, I think you will have a hard time finding what you're looking for in a full sized DSLR. Would you also be selling your current lenses, or holding onto them with the hopes of Canon coming out with a smaller body? I haven't heard anything about Canon working on a micro system so you may be weighting a long time for that. If you aren't using the camera much, you might as well sell it, and wait for something that meets your needs.

P.S. Let me know when you're ready to sell the G9.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I do have the Canon G9 and the Panasonic LX3 which are both excellent point and shoots - but IMO neither matches the quality of the dslr output. I enjoy using these cameras, but much prefer the XTi. When I get a smaller dslr or four-thirds camera, I will sell the G9.
    Liz, I think you should sell the XTi as long as you feel you are getting a good price for it. I have the G9 also and it will never come close to replacing my dSLRs in any situation. So perhaps sell both cameras and the heavy prime lenses and get a light EF-S lens on a newer/lighter dSLR like the XS?

Although I don't know the size/weight comparison between the XTi and the XS, at least you'll be gaining a newer imaging sensor. I bought my son the XS kit and it is far superior in terms of IQ than the G9.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Olympus E-P1

Liz-
    I wouldn't expect Canon to come out with Micro Four Thirds camera. They aren't a part of that partnership and they pretty much alwasy do their own thing.

Have you read my Olympus E-P1 article? I am loving the E-P1. If you're worried about image quality - don't. The E-P1 is the best camera yet from Olympus. The image quality is wonderful - definitely way better than the G9 or G10. I think you should make a trip over to B&H to get one in your hands and see what you think.

My Olympus E-P1 Article >>
    My Olympus E-P1 Gallery >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Re: Olympus E-P1

Liz-
    I wouldn't expect Canon to come out with Micro Four Thirds camera. They aren't a part of that partnership and they pretty much alwasy do their own thing.

Have you read my Olympus E-P1 article? I am loving the E-P1. If you're worried about image quality - don't. The E-P1 is the best camera yet from Olympus. The image quality is wonderful - definitely way better than the G9 or G10. I think you should make a trip over to B&H to get one in your hands and see what you think.
    John - I will check it out. HOWEVER,

I'm looking for a camera to replace the XTi - not the G9. I only have the G9 to complement the XTi. I never meant to compare any of the four-third systems with the G9.

The reason I'm hesitating to sell the XTi is because I can't give up the dslr image quality. I mentioned selling the G9 along with the XTi because I would still have the LX3 - and selling the XTi and G9 would help pay for a new system.

I'm looking for a lighter weight dslr-type camera - at least something comparable. So far, I haven't seen any images from the four-thirds cameras that match the XTi IQ.

I will check out the E-P1 - and samples.

Liz

Some facts

I checked out some weights:

Your Canon XTi body: 510g
    Latest Canon Rebel Ti1 body: 480g
    Latest Canon 18-55 IS lens: 200g
    Your Canon 24-105L: 670g
    Olympus E620 (4x3 format) body only: 475g
    Canon G10: 401g
    Olympus P1 without lens: 375g

I don't think the 4x3 system is going to give you a DSLR that is significantly lighter than the Rebel. And from what I've heard, the latest plastic 18-55 IS lens is quite a good performer.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Just to add to Charles, the XS and the XSi are both lighter than the Ti1. The XSi is 475g, the XS is 450g.

Olympus E-P1 Image Quality

Liz-
    I think you'll get equal to or better quality than your XTi from the E-P1. The Four Thirds sensor is much bigger than a compact camera and the E-P1 sensor is much newer than the XTi with a brand new processor that has made a big difference in image quality compared to previous Olympus DSLRs. It's perfectly fair to compare it to the XTi and even the XSi. I have studio samples taken with it but haven't posted them yet due to some technical issues with the gallery. I need to figure out a way to post them. When I do you can compare them to the XTi studio tests and see what you think.
    Photo-John

Liz

Re: Olympus E-P1 Image Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Liz-
    I think you'll get equal to or better quality than your XTi from the E-P1. The Four Thirds sensor is much bigger than a compact camera and the E-P1 sensor is much newer than the XTi with a brand new processor that has made a big difference in image quality compared to previous Olympus DSLRs. It's perfectly fair to compare it to the XTi and even the XSi. I have studio samples taken with it but haven't posted them yet due to some technical issues with the gallery. I need to figure out a way to post them. When I do you can compare them to the XTi studio tests and see what you think.
    Your video is great, John! I'm almost SOLD on this little camera after watching it.

After reading your review and watching the video, I googled the E-P1 to find some sample images. I found quite a few images - along with a test/review by Imaging Resource with sample images. There are 3 issues that concern me just a little - which I hope you can address for me (although I don't think they would be deal breakers).

1) No VF - along with low resolution (230,000 pixels) LCD - how is it in the sun?

2) Shutter lag: One test review (Imaging Resource) stated that the shutter lag is slower than any other digital camera out there except the Sigma DP series.

3) Although the samples I viewed were quite sharp with good color - many outdoor shots exhibited blown highlights - and "mushing" of trees, etc.

John - I look forward to seeing your photos - and learning more (details) of what you think about the camera.

Thanks.....

Liz

Liz

Re: Some facts

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    I checked out some weights:

Your Canon XTi body: 510g
    Latest Canon Rebel Ti1 body: 480g
    Latest Canon 18-55 IS lens: 200g
    Your Canon 24-105L: 670g
    Olympus E620 (4x3 format) body only: 475g
    Canon G10: 401g
    Olympus P1 without lens: 375g

I don't think the 4x3 system is going to give you a DSLR that is significantly lighter than the Rebel. And from what I've heard, the latest plastic 18-55 IS lens is quite a good performer.
    Wow! Thanks so much for doing this.......it really helps to be able to compare the weight of the cameras/lenses (btw I sold the 24-105L due to the weight). I didn't realize it was so much heavier than the camera!

I think I'll look at this again in the morning....after I've had my coffee and can think a bit more clearly!

Thanks again.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Just to add to Charles, the XS and the XSi are both lighter than the Ti1. The XSi is 475g, the XS is 450g.
    Thanks CaraRose! this all helps me get a better perspective on what to consider.

Liz

Hi Liz,

One thought I just had was your lenses. The 28/1.8 and 50/1.4 aren't exactly heavy lenses, but you could shave off a noticeable amount of weight by switching to the slower 28/2.8 and 50/1.8 lenses. As long as you're not shooting in low light, they should be comparable in image quality, and you'd actually get a little money back. Just an idea.

Paul

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Hi Liz,

One thought I just had was your lenses. The 28/1.8 and 50/1.4 aren't exactly heavy lenses, but you could shave off a noticeable amount of weight by switching to the slower 28/2.8 and 50/1.8 lenses. As long as you're not shooting in low light, they should be comparable in image quality, and you'd actually get a little money back. Just an idea.

Paul
    Paul,

I made a huge leap today - I ordered the EP-1. I was up very late last night researching all the pros and cons. There are a few cons that I'm concerned about as I mentioned above in my reply to Photo-John. Also, there is no flash so I don't know how challenging that will be for any indoor shots - or buy a flash - or whatever.

Selling my Canon lenses is the most difficult part of this whole decision. I love my 50mm/f1.4 and the 28mm/f1.8 - but loving them and keeping them in the closet doesn't make sense. It's reality time for me!

Bottom line......the weight is a big problem........I can't carry the XTi anymore - it's even heavy without a lens on it for me. I haven't used it in almost a year. I really "need" a light weight camera.......

Thanks for your input.

Liz

Liz-
    I think you'll be very happy with the E-P1. Imagine your G9 with the image quality of your XTi. I really think that's what you can expect. There is an accessory flash if you find you need it. It's tiny and light. Regarding shutter-lag, for the kind of shooting you do I don't think you'll notice it. I never noticed it when I was shooting in New York. It wasn't until I tried to shoot some mountain biking with it that I noticed it. And even then, once I was aware of it I was able to adjust my timing and compensate for it.
    Photo-John

Hi Liz,

I had a little free time, so compiled a few more specs for you to consider:

Canon 28mm f/1.8 = 310g
    Canon 28mm f/2.8 = 185g
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 = 290g
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II = 130g

Just switching to slower Canon lenses would save you 285 grams,

Or, you could try something different.

Voigtlander Bessa R2a, R3a, or R4a = 430g

Voigtlander 28mm f/3.5 Skopar = 163g
    Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron = 244g
    Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Skopar = 134g
    Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 Nokton = 200g
    Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 Nokton = 175g
    Voigtlander 50mm f/2.5 Skopar = 208g
    Zeiss Planar ZM 50mm f/2 = 210g
    Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 Nokton = 240g

So, here are a few kit options:

XTi + 28/1.8 + 50/1.4 (current kit) = 1110 grams
    XTi + 28/2.8 + 50/1.8 (slower lenses) = 825 grams
    XS + 28/2.8 + 50/1.8 (lighter body and slower lenses) = 765 grams
    XS + 18-55 IS (lighter body and boring zoom) = 650 grams

Bessa R2a + 28/3.5 + Zeiss 50/2 = 803 grams (very good quality, fast enough)
    Bessa R2a + 28/2 + 50/1.5 = 914 grams (very good, very fast)

The weight difference doesn't seem like much, but consider that most RF lenses are on par with Canon L glass, but for less money. Also, consider that you can get away with at least one stop slower hand held shutter speed with an RF. I regularly shoot my 50mm at 1/30 sec with no consequences. You can get away with 1/15 if your careful. The 28mm is easy to shoot at 1/15. Plus, these lenses are so small you don't need to carry a camera bag. The 28 is easily pants pocketable, and the 50 is coat pocketable.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box. There are obviously differences between digital and film that must be considered. You just seem like a good candidate for a rangefinder. But I will leave you on this note, a shot comparing the size of my two 28mm lenses:

Good luck.
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My wonderful XTi - keep it?  or....sell it?-2009_07_10_1326-converted.jpg  

Paul,

I made a huge leap today - I ordered the EP-1. I was up very late last night researching all the pros and cons. There are a few cons that I'm concerned about as I mentioned above in my reply to Photo-John. Also, there is no flash so I don't know how challenging that will be for any indoor shots - or buy a flash - or whatever.

Selling my Canon lenses is the most difficult part of this whole decision. I love my 50mm/f1.4 and the 28mm/f1.8 - but loving them and keeping them in the closet doesn't make sense. It's reality time for me!

Bottom line......the weight is a big problem........I can't carry the XTi anymore - it's even heavy without a lens on it for me. I haven't used it in almost a year. I really "need" a light weight camera.......

Thanks for your input.

Liz
    Oops, I'm too slow.

Congrats on the new camera! I'm sure it will be great, and it's probably even lighter than an RF. Oh, and you do know, you can get an adapter that will let you mount rangefinder lenses on the EP-1. :thumbsup:

Paul

Leica M8 vs Olympus E-P1

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    But I will leave you on this note, a shot comparing the size of my two 28mm lenses:
    And here's another comparison photo

You can't see it in the photo, but the weight difference between the two cameras is much bigger than the size difference. The M8 is a tank!
    Photo-John

Liz

Oops, I'm too slow.

Congrats on the new camera! I'm sure it will be great, and it's probably even lighter than an RF. Oh, and you do know, you can get an adapter that will let you mount rangefinder lenses on the EP-1.

Paul
    Paul,

Thanks for all the time you spent to do the comparisons - I appreciate it! And I learned something - also I've always loved the Rangefinder, but couldn't afford one when I was into film. However, I think the E-P1 comes close at least to the look and feel of the Rangefinder which many photographers like.

I hope to get mine early next week.

ETA: I will look into the adaptor options once I get used to the E-P1. It will be a learning curve for me in the beginning.

Liz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information