ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Leica M8 vs Olympus E-P1

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    And here's another comparison photo

You can't see it in the photo, but the weight difference between the two cameras is much bigger than the size difference. The M8 is a tank!
    Very cool. I'm really excited about the future of non-SLR interchangeable lens digital cameras. I'm just not sure I like the complete lack of an optical viewfinder or the shutter lag. Work out those two issues and I'm sold. It would be awesome if someone could design an optical finder that works like an RF finder, but has digital frame lines that can change with a zoom lens.

I think that EP-1 would make an awesome camera for backpacking. I wish I had one for my upcoming trip, but I'm taking my XSi. It will be my first time to shoot digital while backpacking.

Paul

Re: My wonderful XTi - keep it? or....sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Paul,

Thanks for all the time you spent to do the comparisons - I appreciate it! And I learned something - also I've always loved the Rangefinder, but couldn't afford one when I was into film. However, I think the E-P1 comes close at least to the look and feel of the Rangefinder which many photographers like.

I hope to get mine early next week.

ETA: I will look into the adaptor options once I get used to the E-P1. It will be a learning curve for me in the beginning.

Liz
    No problem. I was curious about how it would all stack up, and I learned something too. RF lenses are heavy for their size. Could make good sling shot amo.

There is one thing I'd like to know about the RF lens adapter...maybe John knows. That's pretty cool how the EP-1 automatically zooms in to aid manual focusing. I wonder if that works with an adapted lens, and if so, how would the camera know when to do it? I'm guessing you would have to manually zoom in, which would probably make using an adapted RF lens more trouble than it's worth.

Paul

Liz

Update.........

As mentioned in the above posts, I'm selling the following - and have placed the ads in the Classified Section - link below.

I've purchased and sold items in the classifieds here quite a few times in the past - it's always a good experience. If anyone is interested please respond in the classified section of the forum. Thanks.

Canon G9
    Canon 28mm/f1.8 USM lens
    Canon 50mm/f1.8 USM lens

Lenses
    http://classifieds.photographyreview...wcat.php/cat/3

G9
    http://classifieds.photographyreview...wcat.php/cat/7

Liz

Liz

The E-P1 sure is popular right now. I called B&H to find out when they were expecting a shipment. They told me they already have 5,000 request and are hoping to get a shipment in the next few days - and that "maybe" they could fill the order. He suggested I order it and then cancel if I find it somewhere else. This guy said "the E-P1 is one very, very hot ticket right now."

Well, JR.com website went from out of stock to in stock yesterday. I called and they said they were out of them. However, late yesterday they still showed in stock - and then I discovered that Amazon was selling them through JR. I called back last evening and they said "yes, we do have them in stock." So it is supposed to ship Monday. Actually they still show them in stock - and I got a confirmation number - to ship in the next couple of days. I've dealt with them before and they are reputable. They also have a 30 day return policy - free shipping and no tax unless you live in NY.

So - the deal is done! I can't believe I came here a few days ago asking for advice about selling my Canon system - and now I'm in the process of doing just that - and I've ordered a brand new system! That's really BIG for me because I'm an avid Canon photographer!

Thanks Everyone for helping out here! I'm very grateful.

Liz

I've seen the E-P1

The E-P1 has appeared in my local store. It looks good. The lens looks surpringly big but that's just because the body is so small.

If I were you I would be looking at the pancake (fixed focal length) lens as well (didn't see it). It's really small and comes with an optical viewfinder that slots into the flash hotshoe.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Liz, in addition to size and weight comparisons, DXO labs offers some interesting sensor and IQ quality comparisons. ( based on RAW file tests only)
    Quite interesting to see how some of these great models have scored.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Liz, in addition to size and weight comparisons, DXO labs offers some interesting sensor and IQ quality comparisons. ( based on RAW file tests only)
    Quite interesting to see how some of these great models have scored.
    Thanks Gary - this is a wonderful website - and quite interessting comparisons - different and more informative than most.

Liz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information