ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Noise

Noise

I have sent in several (20) pictures to shutter stock and they all have been kicked back. The #1 reason is Noise. What can I do about this? I had neat image on my other pc but never learned how to use it. I myself don't see any noise in these pictures. Does anyone have any ideas/.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Noise

Tyson, it would really help if you had some samples.
    I seem to remember hearing that the noise complaints can be fairly arbitrary though.... I suppose it depends on each image.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have gotten the same types for feedback from iStock. It's very frustraiting when someone tells you they see something that you yourself can't. Post some samples so we can take a look. You can try a program like noise ninja, but it does add an extra step to your post processing. I have used it a little bit in the past, but it seams like the more noise you try to remove, the softer it makes your photo.

Getting the exposure right at the time of capture, and using the lowest possible ISO are the best ways to avoid noise.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Getting the exposure right at the time of capture, and using the lowest possible ISO are the best ways to avoid noise.
    Yes - this first, then a noise reduction program. I don't know anything about iStock but it sounds like they're being very picky. Hopefully their compensation amounts reflect this...

In my opinion, one of the best noise-reduction products out there is a program called Dfine, by Nik Software. Dfine 1.0 has been around for awhile, and Dfine 2.0 just debuted this month. The program gives you several different options for dealing with noise, such as confining noise reduction to color ranges (very handy for batch processing), using a set of noise-reduction brushes, and adding optional camera profiles that reduce noise based upon how your camera processes images.

However, as with any program that gives you a lot of flexibility, it takes a while to learn.

- Joe U.

drg

Tyson,

Samples would probably help of what you actually submitted. I've just looked at your web site and have the following comments about a few specific images:

1. The covered bridges all display some color noise at the size I see them on your web site. They also have some luminance and focus issue in tree lines and backgrounds.

2. Most of your people pictures have pixelation issues, particularly along edges and high contrast zones.

3. Several photos in various areas seem slightly underexposed.

4. The beautiful bird on your start page is slightly under contrasted and the levels are not properly adjusted for PRINT.

Now don't freak out and get upset, these are NOT severe examples of any of these problems. But they are not MINOR either.

Stock agencies will literally take a 100 x 100 area of an image from areas of photos with known types of problems and evaluate the whole photo from just that sample. It is quick and usually very accurate (some use different sizes or even random areas). Tree lines that are blurry at normal size will turn to mud with some reproduction processes.

A stock agency knows who it really sells to, or wants to sell to and cherry picks photographs accordingly. Requirements for printing are such that color noise can be a killer. The customer wants print ready quality. This includes color balance, a big file (often the bigger the better), properly sharpened, well framed and composed, and except with specific subject material, the more Depth of Field the better!

If you know your stock agencies real needs (see examples the agency shows as acceptable/desirable photos) then you can work towards that type of product. Calibration to their ICC (or other) standard may be required.

One question, do they ask for JPEG for evaluation or do they want TIFF or other uncompressed types of files? If JPEG, one hint is to send them the best possible file (big) you can. Do not resize it in anyway. Never resave the file. Output ONCE in the maximum quality your editing software allows for the jpeg submission.

This is only a start, but feel free to ask for clarification on anything I've mentioned.

Best wishes with a somewhat tricky business!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information