ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Unhappy No photos today!!

Last night we had the storm of the century and maybe the last century as well. I would go out and try to take some photos, but I do not want to add to the confusion on the roads, nor get stuck in it. :blush2:

It started about 7:30 pm and went until about 9-9:30 p.m. the worst thunder and lightening (sp?) storm we have had in years - dropped 73 mm (about 3 inches) in that time period, seriously flooded some homes and underpasses including one on our major north south freeway that halted traffic for a few hours. A number of other roads were closed because of flooded underpasses - you can guess what that does in a city of a million people all trying to get to work in the morning. Fortunately, my wife and I are retired so we do not have to worry about this.

Two houses were set on fire by the lightening and two people hit by it (separate situations)...both are in hospital and will survive.

The rain heaved pavement on a major N-S artery to the extent they had to shut down 8 blocks because it was undriveable and many cars were abandoned in flooded underpasses elsewhere. This rainfall beats the last major spring storm in 2005 when about 30 mm fell in a similar time period. Flood warnings are out for all areas along the two rivers that flow through town.

The good news it is still raining and they are forecasting an additional 30 to 50 mm of rain by tomorrow morning when it is expected to stop (let's hope) , but no thunder or lightening

WesternGuy

Re: No photos today!!

Wow, that's quite a storm! I agree about not getting in the way and not putting yourself into a position where you might need the help of already busy rescuers - good thinking.

We had a storm on Labor Day (end of summer) last year that I knew was bad but didn't think much of it until an hour later when the news showed 1' of water on the four lane road less than a mile from my house. I don't even think our power even went off, and we sit on a bit of a hill (insert joke here about Illinois resident thinking he lives on a hill) so we had no problems, but it was a real mess. I didn't want to add to it...

Fortunately we do live up on a hill, so no worry about flooding and I really did not want to be in a position to have to rely on a heavily overtaxed rescue system - fire, ambulance, police. From the news, I guess the 911 system was just deluged (pardon the pun).

WesternGuy

Well it is finally over and the sun has returned. It, the storm, flooded homes, underground parking garages and underpasses, as well as numerous roadways. It knocked out power to over 65,000 homes and businesses. It is estimated the cleanup, repairs, etc, both public and private will cost an estimated $10 million (Canadian). A friend of mine has some pictures. I will try and get some and post a few with her permission.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thread Information