ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 92
  1. #1
    Around the Ocean... Ryguyinlj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Orange County / La Jolla CA
    Posts
    149

    Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    I'm still somewhat new to these boards, but I did manage to notice a group known as the Nikon Samurai. As a longtime canon user I immediately wonder if there is such a group here for canon. So, is there? If not, should the canon users among us band together and form our own group with a catchy name?

  2. #2
    Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Milton, ON, Canada
    Posts
    2,141

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    Why don't you start your own, if that is possible? Moderators? I'll start one for Minolta users, Minolta Warriors!

    Canon Crusaders?
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

  3. #3
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mineral Point, WI, USA
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    I was thinking about this very subject this weekend. There are some Canon Bird Nerds on this site, but that too limiting. I was thinking Canon Camandos
    Mike

    My website
    Twitter
    Blog


    "I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

  4. #4
    Around the Ocean... Ryguyinlj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Orange County / La Jolla CA
    Posts
    149

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I was thinking about this very subject this weekend. There are some Canon Bird Nerds on this site, but that too limiting. I was thinking Canon Camandos
    Interesting...

    I was thinking maybe Clan de Canon or Canon Paladin or Canon Templar or Canon Zealot The last three ideas I came up with had the purpose of going along with the mideival warroir theme started by the nikon group (nikon samruai)

    These ideas I just came up with off the top of my head. Anyone have any others?

  5. #5
    Too square to be hip. almo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Sweet home Ala... Florida
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    I consider myself a bird nerd, but until i get my canon Dslr I am a quiet bird nerd. More of an unarmed dork really.....


    almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

  6. #6
    Member brianc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    275

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    we don't need a clan. we've already taken over the world and are secure enough in our gear that we don't have to try and convince people that ours is the best.

  7. #7
    Ghost
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Posts
    1,029

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    we don't need a clan. we've already taken over the world and are secure enough in our gear that we don't have to try and convince people that ours is the best.
    I'll take this position as well

  8. #8
    Captain of the Ship Photo-John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
    Posts
    15,422

    Canon, Nikon, and Minolta Forums?

    Has the time come to add manufacturer-specific forums? This is a touchy subject. Some people are very emotionally attached to a particular manufacturer. Others don't care so much, as long as it does the job. If people will really use Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica forums, then I'd be happy to add them. But I'd also be worried that they'd take away from the exiting forums. That's not necessarily the case. But it could happen. I'd actually like to have manufacturer-specific forums, if we can support them. But if they're going to be empty, then I'd rather not.

    Maybe the best thing to do, is if you're interested in having a Canon or Nikon club here, just get it started on your own - informally. When you can come to me and tell me that you have a bunch of participants, I'll start thinking about creating a special forum for you. Does that sound ok?
    Photo-John

    Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

  9. #9
    Around the Ocean... Ryguyinlj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Orange County / La Jolla CA
    Posts
    149

    Re: Canon, Nikon, and Minolta Forums?

    I was kind of being sarcastic with the whole "group" thing. I was hoping to maybe just do an informal group like the nikon guys if people were interested. And, I personally don't think that manufacturer-specific forums are a good idea. I like being able to see what other people are doing, and there are many great photographers out there that I would not be able to learn from.

  10. #10
    is back jar_e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    3,264

    Re: Canon, Nikon, and Minolta Forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Has the time come to add manufacturer-specific forums? This is a touchy subject. Some people are very emotionally attached to a particular manufacturer. Others don't care so much, as long as it does the job. If people will really use Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica forums, then I'd be happy to add them. But I'd also be worried that they'd take away from the exiting forums. That's not necessarily the case. But it could happen. I'd actually like to have manufacturer-specific forums, if we can support them. But if they're going to be empty, then I'd rather not.

    Maybe the best thing to do, is if you're interested in having a Canon or Nikon club here, just get it started on your own - informally. When you can come to me and tell me that you have a bunch of participants, I'll start thinking about creating a special forum for you. Does that sound ok?
    Good idea John. Though I don't really care what brand you own or what lens you got, I do see how people can become loyal to their brand per se. I just like good pictures, regardless of camera and gear (or lack of)! But whether or not having a dedicated forum for each brand, I see no need or real purpose for it. Call me pessimistic, but everything that I believe would happen in Manufacturer forums already happen in the forums we have. Atleast, that's what I think.

    Just my two cents,

    Jared

  11. #11
    Captain of the Ship Photo-John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
    Posts
    15,422

    Ohhhhhhhh...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryguyinlj
    I was kind of being sarcastic with the whole "group" thing. I was hoping to maybe just do an informal group like the nikon guys if people were interested. And, I personally don't think that manufacturer-specific forums are a good idea. I like being able to see what other people are doing, and there are many great photographers out there that I would not be able to learn from.
    You got me. Sarcasm doesn't always come across very well on the Web.

    This is an interesting subject, though. Other sites have manufacturer-specific forums. Our mountain bike site (mtbr.com) has a bunch of very busy manufacturer-specific forums that don't appear to take anything away from the rest of the site. People use them to bond with other owners and ask questions about things that are specific to their Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, etc. I can see this being useful here. But I'm hesitant to do it. If the demand was there I'd give it some serious consideration.
    Photo-John

    Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

  12. #12
    Member brianc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    275

    Re: Ohhhhhhhh...

    Actually, you should add the "Tuner" board to your regular rotation. there is a tone ofr great stuff in that forum that would otherwise be missed.

    As for a manufacturer-specific forums here, why dont you try three stickies in the helpfiles. for Canon, Nikon, and other (or however you want to break it out). it would be a good place for brand specific questions and would allow to judge the traffic to see of it would be benificial.

  13. #13
    Nikon Samurai #14 DownByFive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    341

    Re: Ohhhhhhhh...

    I own a Canon and a Nikon...I'm going to be an outcast...

  14. #14
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    Them's fightin words.

    Nikon Samurai #4
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  15. #15
    has-been... another view's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    John, I think there's a downside to separate forums. Another photo forum does this and it seems like most people in the Nikon forum stay in that forum; most in the Canon/Leica/etc forums stay in there. Some questions come up in those forums that aren't brand specific, and someone with a helpful answer won't even know the question is out there.

    I probably wouldn't check out a Canon forum because I don't shoot it; don't know anything specifically about that brand; and couldn't help anyone or learn anything. Of course, unless posts like I describe come up - and I (as well as probably many others) would miss them.

    I'm a Nikon guy, but I'm only brand loyal because of all of the stuff I've got. Oh, yeah, and the glass...

  16. #16
    Ilford Nut Dzerzhinski46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    People's Republic of Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    623

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by another view
    John, I think there's a downside to separate forums. Another photo forum does this and it seems like most people in the Nikon forum stay in that forum; most in the Canon/Leica/etc forums stay in there. Some questions come up in those forums that aren't brand specific, and someone with a helpful answer won't even know the question is out there.

    I probably wouldn't check out a Canon forum because I don't shoot it; don't know anything specifically about that brand; and couldn't help anyone or learn anything. Of course, unless posts like I describe come up - and I (as well as probably many others) would miss them.

    I'm a Nikon guy, but I'm only brand loyal because of all of the stuff I've got. Oh, yeah, and the glass...
    I would have to agree with another view. Having separate forums for each brand would be divisive, and not encourage the mingiling that occurs at this site. It is much better to have everyone lumped together so we can all get along and contribute. Besides, where would we get the sage advice of the many wise persons ( ) found here if they all happened to be Nikon users? It just seems better to keep everyone together. Stickys might be okay, but why bother?

    Now as for an informal Canon group, I wouldn't mind joining . It would stop all those Nikon Samurais from laughing at us poor "other" camera users . Just for fun though.

    Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

    Lost Planet Cameraman #8


  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    326

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    If its Canon, then it must be the Canon Cult.

    John,
    Manufacturing specific forums are great, but are not very good for a place like this forum. If we split up, there wouldnt be enough people in each forum. Especially for those who still use film. If people asked stuff in those forums, they would not likely be answered.

    If you really want a very specific question, leave that to photo.net.
    I see this forum as a laid back forum to have some fun.

  18. #18
    Captain of the Ship Photo-John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
    Posts
    15,422

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    If you really want a very specific question, leave that to photo.net.
    I see this forum as a laid back forum to have some fun.
    But I want to crush the competition. Can't I have it all?

    ;)
    Photo-John

    Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

  19. #19
    Janie O'Canon Rebel Janie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    831

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    I am of the Clannon o'Canon! ;-) Jane O'Canon here, reporting for duty!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryguyinlj
    I'm still somewhat new to these boards, but I did manage to notice a group known as the Nikon Samurai. As a longtime canon user I immediately wonder if there is such a group here for canon. So, is there? If not, should the canon users among us band together and form our own group with a catchy name?
    http://janehaas.com

    "Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:


  20. #20
    Around the Ocean... Ryguyinlj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Orange County / La Jolla CA
    Posts
    149

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    hmmm.... It seems like there may be some takers. If people keep expressing intrest I'll create a poll to pick the name.

    So far I've got

    Canon Clan
    Clan de Canon
    Canon Zealot
    Canon Cult

    Anyone have any other ideas?

  21. #21
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    Them's fightin words.

    Nikon Samurai #4
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  22. #22
    Ilford Nut Dzerzhinski46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    People's Republic of Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    623

    Cool Sign Me Up Dude!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryguyinlj
    hmmm.... It seems like there may be some takers. If people keep expressing intrest I'll create a poll to pick the name.

    So far I've got

    Canon Clan
    Clan de Canon
    Canon Zealot
    Canon Cult

    Anyone have any other ideas?
    "Commander Canon and His Lost Planet Cameramen"
    Just a little suggestion. I like Janie's suggestion, Clannon O'Canon. We could all have the same last name (O'Canon), but different first names. Though I still like my suggestion Janie .

    Or we could really get medievel on those Nikon guys , and be the Chevalier de Canon (Knights of Canon). The mind just goes wild with possibilities. Let us know when/if you put up a poll. Good luck with this!

    Dzerzhinski
    (proud owner of a Canon TLb c.1975)

    P.S. We must be on to something. Rick has had the gall to post the same cheeky statement twice. We must have hit a nerve.
    Last edited by Dzerzhinski46; 02-01-2005 at 08:39 PM.
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

    Lost Planet Cameraman #8


  23. #23
    Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    404

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    The camera system is just a tool to allow the photographer to express her/his feeling and view of the world through still images. In that respect, Canon, Nikon, Leica, etc., ... who cares? The technology embedded in these equipments is so top notch that, at the end, you would be hard-pressed to find any definitive advantage in any of these systems.

    HOWEVER:

    If you own a Nikon system, you obviously have very good taste, and therefore, should be a skilled photographer worthy of our undivided attention.

    ... ...

    Just kidding! ... (well, kinda of)....

    I must admit that my heart is beating faster each time a Nikon Samurai post a thread!

    I think that friendly banter is fine as long as it says just that: friendly. I am a Nikon user because my first camera was a Nikon and I didn't want to buy a new set of lenses. I do not own anything else than Nikon, because I had only very positive experiences using their equipment. I guess this is the case for most of us (i.e., Nikon users). As time passes, we start to be emotionally attached to our camera. It IS a beautiful object after all.

    I am totally in favor for the Canon users to have their own Chapter/Secret Society/Nickname (you name it!). If anything, it will spice up a bit the forum and bring people together.

    I am, however, totally against having specific camera systems forums. It will just divide us.

    Just my own little opinion!

    Cheers,

    Steph.

  24. #24
    Ghost
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Posts
    1,029

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    Hey! Who invited the Nikon people?

    It figures the Nikon folks would come here telling us that "equipment doesn't matter" and "they're just tools" and all that other nonsense that they tell themselves to make them feel better. It's not our fault you got stuck with Nikon junk. Don't hate the player, hate the game! If the heats too hot, get out of the kitchen! Boo-yaaa! In yo face chump!
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    (kidding! kidding! please don't take me seriously!!!!!!!!! I don't mean a thing that I typed above!)

    Edit: I have a bad feeling about this post

  25. #25
    misanthrope
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    315

    Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

    If Nikon users are Samurais, then they are superior warriors who use a very specific set of ethics and a strong sense of duty in their battle. An army of them would be a terrible force, indeed.
    But...
    Canon users are NINJAS-- sleek, black-clad cat-like assassins who can move in and out with a whisper, kill with a mere touch, disappear into thin air without a trace, keepers of secret knowledge only attained through years of relentless training. We are the silent killers who move in and out before you even knew we were there. We can be invisble, soundless, perfect, ghostlike and so incredibly lethal that the mere mention of our name sends fear into the hearts of all other warriors. They concede defeat to us before we even unsheath our weapons. We are unstoppable.
    Or at least that's what the owner's manual for my Canon said...
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

    -Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Would Nikon Samurai # 5 Please Step Forward
    By Speed in forum ViewFinder
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 04:14 AM
  2. Nikon F6 35mm SLR - Press Release
    By Photo-John in forum Camera News & Rumors
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 09:08 AM
  3. Nikon Coolpix 8800 VR Digital Camera - Press Release
    By Photo-John in forum Camera News & Rumors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 11:58 AM
  4. Nikon Coolpix 8400 - Press Release
    By Photo-John in forum Camera News & Rumors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 04:46 PM
  5. Press release: Nikon D70 Digital SLR
    By Photo-John in forum Camera News & Rumors
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •