ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

I'm still somewhat new to these boards, but I did manage to notice a group known as the Nikon Samurai. As a longtime canon user I immediately wonder if there is such a group here for canon. So, is there? If not, should the canon users among us band together and form our own group with a catchy name?

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Nikon Samurai??? Where's the clan for Canon?

Why don't you start your own, if that is possible? Moderators? I'll start one for Minolta users, Minolta Warriors!

Canon Crusaders?
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I was thinking about this very subject this weekend. There are some Canon Bird Nerds on this site, but that too limiting. I was thinking Canon Camandos
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I was thinking about this very subject this weekend. There are some Canon Bird Nerds on this site, but that too limiting. I was thinking Canon Camandos
    Interesting...

I was thinking maybe Clan de Canon or Canon Paladin or Canon Templar or Canon Zealot The last three ideas I came up with had the purpose of going along with the mideival warroir theme started by the nikon group (nikon samruai)

These ideas I just came up with off the top of my head. Anyone have any others?

I consider myself a bird nerd, but until i get my canon Dslr I am a quiet bird nerd. More of an unarmed dork really.....

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

we don't need a clan. we've already taken over the world and are secure enough in our gear that we don't have to try and convince people that ours is the best.

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    we don't need a clan. we've already taken over the world and are secure enough in our gear that we don't have to try and convince people that ours is the best.
    I'll take this position as well

Canon, Nikon, and Minolta Forums?

Has the time come to add manufacturer-specific forums? This is a touchy subject. Some people are very emotionally attached to a particular manufacturer. Others don't care so much, as long as it does the job. If people will really use Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica forums, then I'd be happy to add them. But I'd also be worried that they'd take away from the exiting forums. That's not necessarily the case. But it could happen. I'd actually like to have manufacturer-specific forums, if we can support them. But if they're going to be empty, then I'd rather not.

Maybe the best thing to do, is if you're interested in having a Canon or Nikon club here, just get it started on your own - informally. When you can come to me and tell me that you have a bunch of participants, I'll start thinking about creating a special forum for you. Does that sound ok?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Canon, Nikon, and Minolta Forums?

I was kind of being sarcastic with the whole "group" thing. I was hoping to maybe just do an informal group like the nikon guys if people were interested. And, I personally don't think that manufacturer-specific forums are a good idea. I like being able to see what other people are doing, and there are many great photographers out there that I would not be able to learn from.

Re: Canon, Nikon, and Minolta Forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Has the time come to add manufacturer-specific forums? This is a touchy subject. Some people are very emotionally attached to a particular manufacturer. Others don't care so much, as long as it does the job. If people will really use Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica forums, then I'd be happy to add them. But I'd also be worried that they'd take away from the exiting forums. That's not necessarily the case. But it could happen. I'd actually like to have manufacturer-specific forums, if we can support them. But if they're going to be empty, then I'd rather not.

Maybe the best thing to do, is if you're interested in having a Canon or Nikon club here, just get it started on your own - informally. When you can come to me and tell me that you have a bunch of participants, I'll start thinking about creating a special forum for you. Does that sound ok?
    Good idea John. Though I don't really care what brand you own or what lens you got, I do see how people can become loyal to their brand per se. I just like good pictures, regardless of camera and gear (or lack of)! But whether or not having a dedicated forum for each brand, I see no need or real purpose for it. Call me pessimistic, but everything that I believe would happen in Manufacturer forums already happen in the forums we have. Atleast, that's what I think.

Just my two cents,

Jared

Ohhhhhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguyinlj
    I was kind of being sarcastic with the whole "group" thing. I was hoping to maybe just do an informal group like the nikon guys if people were interested. And, I personally don't think that manufacturer-specific forums are a good idea. I like being able to see what other people are doing, and there are many great photographers out there that I would not be able to learn from.
    You got me. Sarcasm doesn't always come across very well on the Web.

This is an interesting subject, though. Other sites have manufacturer-specific forums. Our mountain bike site (mtbr.com) has a bunch of very busy manufacturer-specific forums that don't appear to take anything away from the rest of the site. People use them to bond with other owners and ask questions about things that are specific to their Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, etc. I can see this being useful here. But I'm hesitant to do it. If the demand was there I'd give it some serious consideration.
    Photo-John

Re: Ohhhhhhhh...

Actually, you should add the "Tuner" board to your regular rotation. there is a tone ofr great stuff in that forum that would otherwise be missed.

As for a manufacturer-specific forums here, why dont you try three stickies in the helpfiles. for Canon, Nikon, and other (or however you want to break it out). it would be a good place for brand specific questions and would allow to judge the traffic to see of it would be benificial.

Re: Ohhhhhhhh...

I own a Canon and a Nikon...I'm going to be an outcast...

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Them's fightin words.

Nikon Samurai #4
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

John, I think there's a downside to separate forums. Another photo forum does this and it seems like most people in the Nikon forum stay in that forum; most in the Canon/Leica/etc forums stay in there. Some questions come up in those forums that aren't brand specific, and someone with a helpful answer won't even know the question is out there.

I probably wouldn't check out a Canon forum because I don't shoot it; don't know anything specifically about that brand; and couldn't help anyone or learn anything. Of course, unless posts like I describe come up - and I (as well as probably many others) would miss them.

I'm a Nikon guy, but I'm only brand loyal because of all of the stuff I've got. Oh, yeah, and the glass...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    John, I think there's a downside to separate forums. Another photo forum does this and it seems like most people in the Nikon forum stay in that forum; most in the Canon/Leica/etc forums stay in there. Some questions come up in those forums that aren't brand specific, and someone with a helpful answer won't even know the question is out there.

I probably wouldn't check out a Canon forum because I don't shoot it; don't know anything specifically about that brand; and couldn't help anyone or learn anything. Of course, unless posts like I describe come up - and I (as well as probably many others) would miss them.

I'm a Nikon guy, but I'm only brand loyal because of all of the stuff I've got. Oh, yeah, and the glass...
    I would have to agree with another view. Having separate forums for each brand would be divisive, and not encourage the mingiling that occurs at this site. It is much better to have everyone lumped together so we can all get along and contribute. Besides, where would we get the sage advice of the many wise persons ( ) found here if they all happened to be Nikon users? It just seems better to keep everyone together. Stickys might be okay, but why bother?

Now as for an informal Canon group, I wouldn't mind joining . It would stop all those Nikon Samurais from laughing at us poor "other" camera users . Just for fun though.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

If its Canon, then it must be the Canon Cult.

John,
    Manufacturing specific forums are great, but are not very good for a place like this forum. If we split up, there wouldnt be enough people in each forum. Especially for those who still use film. If people asked stuff in those forums, they would not likely be answered.

If you really want a very specific question, leave that to photo.net.
    I see this forum as a laid back forum to have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    If you really want a very specific question, leave that to photo.net.
    I see this forum as a laid back forum to have some fun.
    But I want to crush the competition. Can't I have it all?

;)
    Photo-John

I am of the Clannon o'Canon! ;-) Jane O'Canon here, reporting for duty!

I'm still somewhat new to these boards, but I did manage to notice a group known as the Nikon Samurai. As a longtime canon user I immediately wonder if there is such a group here for canon. So, is there? If not, should the canon users among us band together and form our own group with a catchy name?
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

hmmm.... It seems like there may be some takers. If people keep expressing intrest I'll create a poll to pick the name.

So far I've got

Canon Clan
    Clan de Canon
    Canon Zealot
    Canon Cult

Anyone have any other ideas?

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Them's fightin words.

Nikon Samurai #4
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Cool Sign Me Up Dude!!

hmmm.... It seems like there may be some takers. If people keep expressing intrest I'll create a poll to pick the name.

So far I've got

Canon Clan
    Clan de Canon
    Canon Zealot
    Canon Cult

Anyone have any other ideas?
    "Commander Canon and His Lost Planet Cameramen"
    Just a little suggestion. I like Janie's suggestion, Clannon O'Canon. We could all have the same last name (O'Canon), but different first names. Though I still like my suggestion Janie .

Or we could really get medievel on those Nikon guys , and be the Chevalier de Canon (Knights of Canon). The mind just goes wild with possibilities. Let us know when/if you put up a poll. Good luck with this!

Dzerzhinski
    (proud owner of a Canon TLb c.1975)

P.S. We must be on to something. Rick has had the gall to post the same cheeky statement twice. We must have hit a nerve.
    Last edited by Dzerzhinski46; 02-01-2005 at 08:39 PM.
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

The camera system is just a tool to allow the photographer to express her/his feeling and view of the world through still images. In that respect, Canon, Nikon, Leica, etc., ... who cares? The technology embedded in these equipments is so top notch that, at the end, you would be hard-pressed to find any definitive advantage in any of these systems.

HOWEVER:

If you own a Nikon system, you obviously have very good taste, and therefore, should be a skilled photographer worthy of our undivided attention.

... ...

Just kidding! ... (well, kinda of)....

I must admit that my heart is beating faster each time a Nikon Samurai post a thread!

I think that friendly banter is fine as long as it says just that: friendly. I am a Nikon user because my first camera was a Nikon and I didn't want to buy a new set of lenses. I do not own anything else than Nikon, because I had only very positive experiences using their equipment. I guess this is the case for most of us (i.e., Nikon users). As time passes, we start to be emotionally attached to our camera. It IS a beautiful object after all.

I am totally in favor for the Canon users to have their own Chapter/Secret Society/Nickname (you name it!). If anything, it will spice up a bit the forum and bring people together.

I am, however, totally against having specific camera systems forums. It will just divide us.

Just my own little opinion!

Cheers,

Steph.

Ghost

Hey! Who invited the Nikon people?

It figures the Nikon folks would come here telling us that "equipment doesn't matter" and "they're just tools" and all that other nonsense that they tell themselves to make them feel better. It's not our fault you got stuck with Nikon junk. Don't hate the player, hate the game! If the heats too hot, get out of the kitchen! Boo-yaaa! In yo face chump!
    (kidding! kidding! please don't take me seriously!!!!!!!!! I don't mean a thing that I typed above!)

Edit: I have a bad feeling about this post

misanthrope

If Nikon users are Samurais, then they are superior warriors who use a very specific set of ethics and a strong sense of duty in their battle. An army of them would be a terrible force, indeed.
    But...
    Canon users are NINJAS-- sleek, black-clad cat-like assassins who can move in and out with a whisper, kill with a mere touch, disappear into thin air without a trace, keepers of secret knowledge only attained through years of relentless training. We are the silent killers who move in and out before you even knew we were there. We can be invisble, soundless, perfect, ghostlike and so incredibly lethal that the mere mention of our name sends fear into the hearts of all other warriors. They concede defeat to us before we even unsheath our weapons. We are unstoppable.
    Or at least that's what the owner's manual for my Canon said...
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information