ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Leica, Panasonic…or?

Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Leica, Panasonic…or?

Does the Gear You have Really Matter? Or How I learned to just take a “Pitcher…”

Well, I will commence with a simple answer "NO"...Whether it is a Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung or any Medium format camera and digital back out there, it really is of no great consequence which brand you own! You want to know why? Based on a recent survey, 90 percent of all DSLR camera's rarely print their images larger than A4 (8x10") format. In other words and in most cases, a good 5 mega pixel camera with good noise specifications would be more than sufficient to do the job and do it very well.

Now, if what you spend most of your time doing is pixel peeping your images at 100 percent on your screen to see if you can notice any anomaly of any sort, than yes, do go out and purchase a $40,000.00, 50 mega pixel back for your Hasselblad. However, if you do so, you will find that you might notice some interesting phenomena, like high chroma noise issues at anything above 400 iso.

Another interesting problem is that when you go to press, the tram noise or pattern will destroy most of those fine pixels that you observed on the screen, a kind of natural grain producer of sorts.

Of course the quality of the sensor is very important, but I believe that any of the 10 mega pixel plus camera's out there could do an admirable job.

I have watched with bemusement the wars that are ongoing on the forums between this and that brand and usually come away thinking that unless you know why you have purchased a brand and to what purpose, than you might as well close your eyes and do a "eenee, meenee, mynee, mo" exercise to determine your choice.

So, if you have no plans to produce an image larger than 12 x19" and have a limited budget, feel confident that no matter what you buy, it will be overkill for that format.

Just be happy that the technology provided for the photographer today has easily out specified the top end camera that existed just 3 years ago.

Enjoy your toy and go out and play...

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/?p=921

Re: Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Leica, Panasonic…or?

Amen to the "Enjoy your toy and go out and play." Who is going to blow up an image to mural size anyway?
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

trigger happy geriatric.

100% agree with you. My Oly is a 10mp camera and if I wanted to print anything to hang on the wall it would be A4. OK, I can understand the pro's wanting Nikon ot Canon, they work hard (the cameras not the togs!!!! Kidding, honest) but for me what I have is enough.

I've printed up to 30x40s with the 10d, 20d and 40d. expose correctly and the difference in megapixels is irrelevant. they've all looked good.

I second the "go out and play". what good is a huge fancy camera if you don't use it.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

ps...i've really enjoyed your recent posts...
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Agree wholeheartedly, for the kind of shooting I do, my 9yr old 6/12mp camera does everything I need it to - the ONLY reason I see to upgrade at this point is the superior high ISO performance of the newer models. Coincidentally I do know "why" I chose the the brand I did, and comparing shots against Nikon/Canon/Sony/Pentax has confirmed that I made the right choice for me, over and over.

Thread Information