ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Newbie Photoshooter

Hello,

I am sorta new to the Photography, I have played around before with shooting different objects in doors and out doors. I am looking for help with shooting, sunsets,butterflies, and fireworks. I was recently bought the cannon TI1. I love the camera so far. So If you have any suggestions on certain settings to use, books, online tutorials ETC please pass them my way I am very interested in learning Photography.

Re: Newbie Photoshooter

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new camera. My advice is to learn how to use your camera, read your manual cover to cover and then read it again. I would start in Auto or Program just to get the feel of how the camera works. One thing you can do is take a shot in Program mode to see what kind of setting the camera made for the shot. Then switch to manual and adjust the setting up or down and see how it effects the pictures. You can always put the camera in manual, shutter or aperture modes later and experiment more extensively. Even though I am in my fifties and I have been shooting off and on for almost thirty years I still consider myself to be a newb especially when it comes to digital. You have come to the right place, there are many experienced shooters here.

Other than that all I can say is get out there and shoot, using the camera is the best way to get better. Keep in mind most people will take many many photos and come away with just a few that are really nice, don't get discouraged. This past Thursday I took my 35mm Nikon to the zoo and shot a 24 exp roll and came away with only five shots that I liked. That's OK because I still like the challenge of film, not knowing what you got until they are processed. To me the biggest advantage of digital over film is the ability to erase the shots you do not like. It's a great hobby, best of luck to you.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Sunsets and fireworks just about always require a tripod. Closeups or macros of things like butterflies do also.
    I won't give advice because each situation is different. If you google shooting fireworks or sunsets there will be many sites with advice and probably for butterflies too.
    The people that have to delete a lot are, for the most part, point the camera and hope it works types. When you learn the ins and outs which aren't much different than 35 film shooting, you won't have to delete so many, except that you might get really fussy and start deleting what can't be fixed in post processing or isn't perfect.
    Welcome to the forums! Ask all the questions you want. Stick some of your work in the critique forum and you'll get good sound advice.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by xjken99
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new camera. My advice is to learn how to use your camera, read your manual cover to cover and then read it again. I would start in Auto or Program just to get the feel of how the camera works. One thing you can do is take a shot in Program mode to see what kind of setting the camera made for the shot. Then switch to manual and adjust the setting up or down and see how it effects the pictures. You can always put the camera in manual, shutter or aperture modes later and experiment more extensively. Even though I am in my fifties and I have been shooting off and on for almost thirty years I still consider myself to be a newb especially when it comes to digital. You have come to the right place, there are many experienced shooters here.

Other than that all I can say is get out there and shoot, using the camera is the best way to get better. Keep in mind most people will take many many photos and come away with just a few that are really nice, don't get discouraged. This past Thursday I took my 35mm Nikon to the zoo and shot a 24 exp roll and came away with only five shots that I liked. That's OK because I still like the challenge of film, not knowing what you got until they are processed. To me the biggest advantage of digital over film is the ability to erase the shots you do not like. It's a great hobby, best of luck to you.
    Thanks for the tips. I started reading the manual and taking pictures at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Sunsets and fireworks just about always require a tripod. Closeups or macros of things like butterflies do also.
    I won't give advice because each situation is different. If you google shooting fireworks or sunsets there will be many sites with advice and probably for butterflies too.
    The people that have to delete a lot are, for the most part, point the camera and hope it works types. When you learn the ins and outs which aren't much different than 35 film shooting, you won't have to delete so many, except that you might get really fussy and start deleting what can't be fixed in post processing or isn't perfect.
    Welcome to the forums! Ask all the questions you want. Stick some of your work in the critique forum and you'll get good sound advice.
    I was thinking about using google to do some searching. You can find anything on google.

Thread Information