ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: A New Window Light Thread

Thank god.

And, this is bloody HOT btw
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Okay here are a few shots using only window light.

The first is a shot from my first photo shoot in ages. I have a few more from this shoot but this is all I have worked up for now.

The second is from my second photo shoot in ages A few of the older members here may recognize the subject.

The third is a self portrait I took a few months ago when I happened to catch my reflection in my computer monitor and thought it looked cool I look mean.

And the fourth I just took a second ago as the sun was setting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Window Light Thread-shawna-1.jpg   A New Window Light Thread-stas-4.jpg   A New Window Light Thread-jail.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Walter Rick Long

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

All right, I'll have to open the windows sometime this weekend and shoot something in natural light, versus au nautral. Maybe the cat and my daughter will cooperate inbetween waterpolo, dance and book club for the kid and me teaching scuba in the pool and then in the ocean on Sunday. Would an underwater shot count? My classroom has black walls and no windows, so that's out. Drop dead gorgeous Adina, makes all us older, out of shape, lazy types look bad. Yours are also pretty cool Walterick.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    You'd only be so lucky!

You can take that copy down off your fridge and scan it if you want
    Like I'd leave that where my kids can see it!

I have it as my desktop.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thanks guys.

I'm working on something new for next year, just trying to get a feel for an end result.

Plus, I need an official "i'm 30" photo....
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

This looks waaay dark on my monitor Amber. I especially want to see the cat's face and that is particularly hard to make out. Try sitting him in front of a window without direct sunlight coming through and try photographing him in that light.
    Thanks for the suggestion. The picture was actually taken around 9pm and the only lighting was the front porch light coming thru the window. He was watching the moths darting around. I really liked the way the porch light was hitting him, but it didn't turn out like I'd hoped. There is another thread on it and I'm going to try to play with it in photoshop some.
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Hi Amber,

That is Cenote Samula near Valladolid, Yucatan. Here is a write up on them:

http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinat...ng-cenotes.htm

And they are an incredible place to visit/swim. Just the best way to escape the heat of mid-day.
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Thanks for the info Tim! Perhaps one day we will get to visit!

Amber
    Amber

Portrait

A window light portrait with a less than cooperative subject. This was taken at a west-facing window, near sunset. So the light was a little more direct than I might have liked it. If he had of turned his head, like I asked, it might have helped, too.

This was taken with the Nikon D40x we have for review right now. And the 18-200 AF-S VR lens. I quite like this combo. The camera was set for ISO 400. Noise is very nice for ISO 400, I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Window Light Thread-dsc_0002.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Portrait

Well it's about time we got you in this thread PJ. Great contribution, it's been a while since you posted a pic of Soupy. Looking good and in control of the world.

You know we might just make you a Nikon convert yet.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Great contribution, it's been a while since you posted a pic of Soupy. Looking good and in control of the world.
    Soupy was weighing in at over 20 pounds at one time. But since we moved to Utah he's lost almost all of his fat. It's pretty amazing. I'm sure the altitude has something to do with it. But I think it's mostly that he's just happier. I am here all the time and he has tons of space outside. He still begs worse than a dog. But he's not fat. And Parker, who used to be kind of sickly thin, is getting a little chubby. Utah is good for these guys. And me

And yes, the Nikon is pretty nice. If I switched now, it would be for the new Olympus E-3 (gasp!). But with the investment I have in Canon stuff, it's not likely.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Soupy was weighing in at over 20 pounds at one time. But since we moved to Utah he's lost almost all of his fat. It's pretty amazing. I'm sure the altitude has something to do with it. But I think it's mostly that he's just happier. I am here all the time and he has tons of space outside. He still begs worse than a dog. But he's not fat. And Parker, who used to be kind of sickly thin, is getting a little chubby. Utah is good for these guys. And me

And yes, the Nikon is pretty nice. If I switched now, it would be for the new Olympus E-3 (gasp!). But with the investment I have in Canon stuff, it's not likely.
    Nice shot of Soupy, John. He looks happy and in charge. :lol:

I'm happy to hear that Soupy and Parker are doing well and like their new environment, especially after all Parker went through last year (it was last year, wasn't it?).

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I know what you mean. I have such an investment in Nikon over the years that there is no why I could change at this stage of the game.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I just HAD to put this one in
    I took it today just before she went out the door for school.

Wow - great shots! Hard to compete with all of these, but I found one from a few years ago. How recent is recent? I'm pretty sure it was T400CN film because it scans so easily. Once again, my dog...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Window Light Thread-mal.jpg  

Wow... not to hijack... I heard the bokeh on that 18-200 was bad but holy cow.
    Walter Rick Long

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Wow - great shots! Hard to compete with all of these, but I found one from a few years ago. How recent is recent? I'm pretty sure it was T400CN film because it scans so easily. Once again, my dog...
    Steve - nice looking dog......is he/she still with you? Nice shot too.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Steve - nice looking dog......is he/she still with you? Nice shot too.

Liz
    Thanks Liz - she's still around. Can't believe she turned 10 years old a couple weeks ago!

This is my first post. Lot to learn. Every journey begin with the first step. So here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Window Light Thread-p9150021_edited-1.jpg  

This is a digital image scanned from film shot around 1988. I spent about ten minutes on the skin tones in photoshop. These girls were leaning in my car window.

Its got some grain, and the skin tones still have noise, but it was enlarged 2x from the original file size. I wish my negatives had endured the years as well, actually half as well would have been nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Window Light Thread-two-non-blondes.jpg  
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

Okay here are a few shots using only window light.

The third is a self portrait I took a few months ago when I happened to catch my reflection in my computer monitor and thought it looked cool I look mean.
    I love your BW SP Rick! You look GORGEOUS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pixidixi
    This is my first post. Lot to learn. Every journey begin with the first step. So here it is.
    AWESOME shot!!!

Aww! That looks just like my boy Piper when he was a baby! Except the eyes are definitely different. Very cute! And welcome to PR!!

Amber
    Amber

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Beautiful! I have a husky too

Amber
    Amber

Welcome to PR!! This is a great first post. Wonderful kitty pic in the window light. Don't forget to check out the gallery pics as well.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by reverberation
    This is a digital image scanned from film shot around 1988. I spent about ten minutes on the skin tones in photoshop. These girls were leaning in my car window.

Its got some grain, and the skin tones still have noise, but it was enlarged 2x from the original file size. I wish my negatives had endured the years as well, actually half as well would have been nice.
    Nice window pic. I have thousands of negatives dating from the 60's that I have not stored well and now are near useless. Wish I had had the forethought to do it right.

Nikon Samurai #13

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Just to prove that I do in fact shoot natural light and own a 50mm/1.8. This is one of my favorite models, Mr. Pumpkin. He is my daughter's keeper and has seen fit to keep me company at my desk and watch over me. ISO 400. 1/25 and f/2.8.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Window Light Thread-natural_one.jpg   A New Window Light Thread-natural_two.jpg  
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information