ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

A New Window Light Thread

As the weather begins to get a little colder many of us will be looking for more photo opportunities inside. What better time for window light photography than now. My favorite subject for the last 36 years has been my wife Joy. She is usually pretty co-operative, although as this aging thing starts to work it's magic on us she seems to be shying away a little more. I still had the 50mm f1.8 out and on the D200 and convinced her to sit in front of a north facing window after church this morning. I'm reasonably pleased with this window light portrait attempt. I hope you will join in this thread and add some of your resent window light images. They don't have to be portraits just don't add any artificial light. Have fun with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Window Light Thread-dsc_9041-5-640.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: A New Window Light Thread

OT,

Gorgeous pose and expression. But moving just a step to your right you would have hidden the lamp behind her shoulder and moved the frame of the door further to the right, possibly making the door into a neat symmetrical BG. Little details would have taken this from great to excellent, but the most important thing is that you got it. Only nitpicky photogs will notice anything else...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Beautiful shot OT. What lens were you using? Do you have an 85 in your arsenal? Might have helped compress things a bit more and made it easier to lose the BG with a more open f/stop. I cheat most times while inside and use available light, whatever light is available to me, some examples are in my just goofin around post in VF.

36 years and she stil lets you point a camera at her, that is a real accomplishment.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I've been working lately, haven't seen anything thru the lens but other people's kids. However, Ruffus was using my laptop...got a couple from him...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Window Light Thread-img_0323-copy.jpg   A New Window Light Thread-img_0326-copy.jpg  
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

that's some really nice portrait lighting you're getting from that window, OT. i don't have any portraits lit from windows like that, but i do have this that was on my window sill. can't get much more window lighting than that, can you?

Old Timer, you have such a beautiful wife. I dont think I've ever seen you post pics of her before! Such a pretty pose too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    OT,

Gorgeous pose and expression. But moving just a step to your right you would have hidden the lamp behind her shoulder and moved the frame of the door further to the right, possibly making the door into a neat symmetrical BG. Little details would have taken this from great to excellent, but the most important thing is that you got it. Only nitpicky photogs will notice anything else...
    Thanks Seb I should have lost the lamp for sure. It was just a spur of the moment decision to try for a pic in the window. I couldn't move to the right because I lost the lighting effect. I had her sitting on the arm of a sofa to get the right height and if I moved she would have had to move her head and the light would not have been as even with a lot more shadowing on the left side of her face. I should have been a little more aware of the back ground but thought I was using a wide enough aperture help me with blur.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Beautiful shot OT. What lens were you using? Do you have an 85 in your arsenal? Might have helped compress things a bit more and made it easier to lose the BG with a more open f/stop. I cheat most times while inside and use available light, whatever light is available to me, some examples are in my just goofin around post in VF.

36 years and she stil lets you point a camera at her, that is a real accomplishment.
    This one was with the 50mm. I have been making an effort to use it more. I don't have an auto focus 85mm. I do have an old 85 manual that was a favorite portrait lens with the film cameras. However I was wedged up against the wall and a bookcase and the 85 would have been little to much for the distance.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by tink
    Old Timer, you have such a beautiful wife. I dont think I've ever seen you post pics of her before! Such a pretty pose too!
    Thanks you very much Tink. I do try to work Joy into photos as often as possible. It seems lately that the grandsons have taken center stage more times than not in my photos.

Nikon Samurai #13

new from me...no artifial light.

http://asjblog.typepad.com/photography_by_adina/

work photos, so I don't want to post them here, but they are know I blog them.

I went back and looked to see if I had anything that wasn't work, but I don't. I guess I need to get on that...

For me anyway it is always a breadth of fresh air to see natural shots like this instead of all the "sexy ultra trash trying to look like some idiot in Hello Magazine" type poses that we get everywhere.
    Your wife is beautiful and looks as fresh as a daisy and your photograph is beautiful too, lamp or no lamp.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Hello OT
    It's not often I step into Viewfinder. In response to your rrquest I'm attaching one of my window light shots.
    A while back I started photographing little memories of my late Dad. He was a huge Gaelic football fan and always prior to a big match he would work out the lineout of his favoutite team and compare it afterwards with the selected team. He would do this on bits of card that he kept in his glasses box. The background is just some black mounting board with a page from his football magazine laid on.
    If his team lost it was because "they should have picked what's on my list".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A New Window Light Thread-dad.jpg  
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Wonderful story and a great window light photo. It reminds me of one I did by window light right after I got my first P&S digital.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...72402#poststop

Nikon Samurai #13

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Very nice Alex! I knew I could count on you to add to the window light thread. You always give us a refreshing slant on the subject.

Nikon Samurai #13

Ooh you just know you shouldn't have come up with this thread OT lol.
    I've said it before and I will say it again, your wife is incredibly BEAUTIFUL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    [SIZE="3"]Ooh you just know you shouldn't have come up with this thread OT lol.
    I've said it before and I will say it again, your wife is incredibly BEAUTIFUL
    I have been thinking the same thing Ali for the last 36 years. You never disappoint when we have a thread like this. You children are terrific models and your skills equal their beauty in every way. Thanks for joining in the fun.

Nikon Samurai #13

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

No fair Alison, all your daughters have big beautiful pools for eyes. That's cheating.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Liz

Thanks for another great thread, OT.....It is giving me the opportunity to do more shooting. I was just thinking that I can't let my cameras gather dust this year during the winter months.

Jeremy aka "Ol Bright Eyes"

Liz

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Hey Liz, didn't realized you moved. I haven't seen or heard totowa since we beat the pants off of them in football my junior year at Saddle Brook High. Nice shot of Jeremy by the way. My latest of Pumpkin is a little further below under the Just goofin around post. He's currently missing his older "sister" Cinnamon, a 13 year old Golden Retriever who passed away in her sleep this morning. I wish that I had a current shot of her to post in memorium. Its been a long day, she was at my feet in peace when I woke this morning, Pumpkin laying next to her with a paw on her head.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Liz

Hey Liz, didn't realized you moved. I haven't seen or heard totowa since we beat the pants off of them in football my junior year at Saddle Brook High. Nice shot of Jeremy by the way. My latest of Pumpkin is a little further below under the Just goofin around post. He's currently missing his older "sister" Cinnamon, a 13 year old Golden Retriever who passed away in her sleep this morning. I wish that I had a current shot of her to post in memorium. Its been a long day, she was at my feet in peace when I woke this morning, Pumpkin laying next to her with a paw on her head.
    Michael,

I'm sorry about Cinnamon passing away this morning. It's really difficult to lose a pet, especially when you've had them so long, and Pumpkin will also need some "support" as they do grieve for each other.

Yep! I now live in Totowa - I moved here last November. I really like it - nice and quiet.

Thanks for sharing - I'll say a prayer for you.

Liz

Thank you so much OT and Michael.

No fair Alison, all your daughters have big beautiful pools for eyes. That's cheating.
    Want me to ship a couple over to ya?

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey I might actually have one for this thread Give me a couple of days.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Does this one work?
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information