ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

the new Velvia 50

I love having time off at Christmas. I went out a few days ago in search of color, because I got a few rolls of the new Velvia 50 to try. Luckily with this film, a little color goes a long way.

These are also some of the first shots I've gotten back from the manual focus Minolta kit that I've been building. All of these shots were taken with a Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 50mm f1.4 lens that I got from KEH for $18. What do you think? Worth 18 bucks?

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the new Velvia 50-image3-640.jpg   the new Velvia 50-image6-640.jpg   the new Velvia 50-image5-640.jpg   the new Velvia 50-image11-640.jpg  

Re: the new Velvia 50

...and here's a few more. All but the first one were taken with the same 50mm lens, but the first shot was taken with a 24mm MC Rokkor, which was not quite as cheap, but seems to be a great lens.

Thanks for looking.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the new Velvia 50-image9-640.jpg   the new Velvia 50-image13-640.jpg   the new Velvia 50-image15-b-640.jpg   the new Velvia 50-image17-640.jpg  

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Nice shooting. How do you like the new 50? Is it much changed from the original?

Nice deal on that 50mm 1.4. That should turn out to be a nice lens. I like the shot of the shot of the leaves and rocks in the water best.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thanks, Rick. I like the film, but I never tried the old Velvia 50, only 100F. The colors are not as over-the-top as I was expecting from reading what others have said about it. This is just my first roll, but I really can't tell what's different in comparison to 100F.

I can't believe how good this 50mm lens is for so cheap. I think this Minolta kit will be great for landscapes.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    ...The colors are not as over-the-top as I was expecting from reading what others have said about it...
    That was my first thought when I opened this thread. I was expecting them to be a bit more vivid and saturated. Some nice shots though Paul I particularly like the barbwire shot :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Nice shooting. How do you like the new 50? Is it much changed from the original?

Nice deal on that 50mm 1.4. That should turn out to be a nice lens. I like the shot of the shot of the leaves and rocks in the water best.

Rick
    My favorite shot too.

How are you converting them to digital? I bet they look better straight on the slides. Still, those are some amazing pictures.
    Visit My DeviantArt Gallery
    Nikon D300 / 17-55 2.8
    Sometimes even Canon lovers cheat.....

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

The new Velvia is a nice film, I recently ran a roll through my F80 using the Nikkor AF-D 24mm f/2.8, Nikkor AF-G 50mm f/1.8, and the Tameron 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6

With the 11-18

With the 50

With the 24
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by awboy
    ...How are you converting them to digital? I bet they look better straight on the slides. Still, those are some amazing pictures.
    Thanks, awboy. I tried my best to get them to look as close to the slides as possible, but it's never exact. These were scanned with a Nikon Coolscan V.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    The new Velvia is a nice film, I recently ran a roll through my F80 using the Nikkor AF-D 24mm f/2.8, Nikkor AF-G 50mm f/1.8, and the Tameron 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6

With the 11-18

With the 50

With the 24
    I definitely like this film, but I'll have to do a more direct comparison between it and 100F to see which I like more. Thanks for posting some more shots. I like that "Hall" shot a lot.

Thread Information