ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

eek-bay finally got me.

Hi folks...Well, I must say my luck has been good on eek bay up until now...I finally got burned..Not for allot, $25.00 + the shipping... I am not even upset...What I was after was this tokina ''a'' lens,28-80 zoom lens for my ME SUPER...Anyway, when I got it, it also came with this MG body what ever it is...Maybe it will work, but It looks like a downgrade to what I already have...Anyway, it looked great and was advertised as new...Well I went to check out the focus and the zoom and the thing fell apart in my hand...It was glued and scotch taped together...I had to laugh.....The irony, is that I had already left the guy perfect feed back...Oh well....Here are some pics of my brand new paper weight....

Have any of you been roasted on eek bay?

εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Re: eek-bay finally got me.

Quote Originally Posted by jgredline
    ...Have any of you been roasted on eek bay?...
    Funny you mentioned that. I just pm'd Greg about how I just got scammed. Won an auction for an attachment for my Luna Pro and a couple days after sending payment, the seller all of a sudden was no longer a registered member. I filed a claim with Paypal and just got notification that I won the dispute but...

We have decided in your favor, however, we were unable to recover any funds
    from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement, recovery
    of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in
    question if they become available in the seller's account in the future and
    will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may include
    issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the account.
    Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors to determine when to take
    action, including member complaints. Due to privacy laws, we cannot discuss
    the details of any action taken. We hope you understand our policy and that
    it assures you that you are safe using PayPal.
    I particularly like this part...

We hope you understand our policy and that
    it assures you that you are safe using PayPal.

How am I safe if I can't recover my funds?!?!:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: Luckily I paid by credit card and I just filed a chargeback with them. Hopefully I can still get my money back
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

LOL! Sorry to hear about your bad deal Javier, but if it makes you feel any better, it did make me laugh out loud, literally!

The only time I got had on ebay was my own fault. I bought a grip for my AE-1, only to find out after I got it that the AE-1 doesn't take that type of grip. It was just a little finger grip that goes over the battery door on some of the older MF Canons. It was a pretty inexpensive mistake, but it had nothing to do with the seller, just an uneducated buyer.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I ended up receiving a knock-off viewfinder cup for my Leica M4 off of ebay. It was only $10 lost (with shipping), but still I must say it's aggravating. I guess I should have not trusted such a new seller though. Always buy from the well established guys unless you want risky transactions.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Aaron, sorry to hear of your encounter. We ought to make an eekbay support group ..LOL..

mj, i too laughed..It was really comical...

Honestly, when I read his feedback, it was good and he had many transactions...The reason I did not post up his name is because I did not want to bring harm to him, because I suspect, he got it from someone and sold it to me not knowing it was taped and glued together....I popped a 28-80 cheapo tamron lens on it and gave it to my son, so he should be set for a while...

Atleast the body seems to be good and I won't have to be wrestling with my kid over my ME SUPER..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Why are you not contacting him? I'll not try to figure out why you left feedback before recieving it.
    I always look to see how long a seller has been around in addition to the feedback.
    Ebay used to be a good sight with regular people selling stuff instead of having garage sales. Now its scammers and big outfits but I'm still looking for a new 18-200 vr for 200 buicks.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Frog, I left the feedback after I had received it, but before I used it...I did end up sending him an e mail to see what happens, so I will see what happens..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Quote Originally Posted by jgredline
    Aaron, sorry to hear of your encounter. We ought to make an eekbay support group ..LOL..
    It's all good. I was fine when having to file the dispute. It wasn't much money, only like $30. When you first posted this thread I had just received the email from Paypal that I quoted above and it had struck a nerve. I really can't complain though. I've only had like 3 bad transactions out of about ~475. I can't imagine that those odds are all that much worse than shopping anywhere else.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Why are you not contacting him? I'll not try to figure out why you left feedback before recieving it.
    I always look to see how long a seller has been around in addition to the feedback.
    Ebay used to be a good sight with regular people selling stuff instead of having garage sales. Now its scammers and big outfits but I'm still looking for a new 18-200 vr for 200 buicks.
    Frog, I am sure you could find that lens for $200 if you contact one of the sites on the second list I have in the Camera Dealer Feedback Forum sticky! If you you try real hard you may even get a D80 thrown in with it, Jeff :mad2:

Hey Frog, I read your post again and depending on the condition and models of those 200 Buicks I might buy the lens and swap you myself! This is like the sites on that list, it sounds tooo good to be true, Jeff :blush2:
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Lol......I guess 200 Buicks would get me a new 18-200...lol.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Well, that sucks. I'd try to alter that feedback just for the principle of it. It may have been a mistake, but if the guy is that careless, it could happen to someone else.

I had a problem when I bought my Yashica-MAT 124G. I paid $190, a premium, for what I was told was an excellent condition camera. When it arrived, the first thing I did was shine a light through the taking lens and I discovered it was full of fungus. So, I contacted the Yashica master, Mark Hama, and I sent him a photo. Mark actually volunteered to act as a mediator and got the guy to agree to a $50 refund. That's what I call service, so I was happy to pay Mark $80 to replace the lens with a new one from his inventory of left over Yashica factory parts. I paid too much, all in all, but it ended up being a nice camera. And then I sold it for a ridiculous price to some guy in France, thanks to the exchange rate I suppose.

Paul

I've only got scammed once. I bought a couple ink cartridges from someone that had thousands of transactions under his belt. Back then you didn't see the % of positive ones, unless you went in and checked his feedbacks. After I realized I had been had, I checked his feedbacks and saw that the last 60 or so, were all burned customers. Also, his contact info was no longer valid. Overall, I've done pretty well. However, I never post feedback until I've tried and tested the item. In the case of ink cartridges, this can take a few weeks. I've got refunds from a couple people, due to a problem that came with the product. One was a partial refund on an old Nikon 35mm and another was a total refund for an old camcorder that came cracked. The camcorder just ended up in the garbage.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

My only negative feedback I have on Ebay is from a seller after I left them negative feedback. It took them two months to send me the backdrop I won. They gave me multiple excuses about why they hadn't shipped it but it was obvious they didn't have the item in stock and were waiting for it to come in.
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

I have been ripped off once on eBay out of over 300 transactions. It was an item about $30 and there was a payment dispute: I sent payment via Paypal and the seller said didn't accept Paypal even though he still had an account there. I got the auto responder from Paypal and sent payment immediately. The seller refused to send the item even though Paypal had the funds. Turned out Paypal had frozen his account but was still accepting payments. He apparently owed them a lot them a lot of money. I wasn't the worst of his ripoffs, one of his recent transactions had paid him over $1k for a lens that was never sent. Disputes were opened on about his last 5 transactions. eBay closed his account. I never got the product and only a partial refund from Paypal.

After that mess I refused to use Paypal for about a year. I wrote Paypal and told them they were using my money to pay off this dead beats account, they didn't have much sympathy, they said it wasn't their fault, go after the seller. Me and several others filed reports with the FBI fraud division after that. Nothing was ever really done. I am much more careful now when I send payment. I always wait for an email from the seller and eBay confirming the purchase.

After the boycott, I still found Paypal to be the best and safest way to pay for stuff online, so I am back being their customer. I don't really like it, but it's safest and easiest.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Hi Folks...Well, My wife and son went out to Pasadena City hall today and Daniel took his new used Pentax MG with Tamron 28-80 zoom and he shot a roll of 24 cheap film to test...To my surprise the exposer was pretty close and the film grain is very smooth....Anyway, I don't feel so scammed now that this body works fine...The kid is doing pretty good...Not pictures I would have taken, but hey, to each his own...

εὐχαριστέω σύ

Your boy is coming right along Javier :thumbsup: I really like where he's going with that second shot.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thanks Aaron, These are pretty good, but the other ones from this roll , it is obvious an 8 year old boy took them ...Basically he blasted through them though it was digital....Those ones of the Dog and some pigeon in a tree and so forth are out of focus and badly composed and yet, those are my favorites. When I get home I will post a few of those as well...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Liz

Wow! What a great job your son did with these photos. It looks like you have a budding photographer to train!

I'm glad you're both sharing his pictures here! He should feel encouraged doing such a good job. :thumbsup:

Liz

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Yeah I was roasted on Ebay once. It happened a couple months after. Everything was working fine, and then the entire mother board I got went up in smoke.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information