ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

New film, ND filter, and tripod.

Back in July I decided to get an ND Filter and a light tripod for an upcoming backpacking trip. I needed to take them out to test them before the trip, and I was already planning to test a roll of Fuji Acros film, so I found a new trail I'd never been down and went to walkin. At the end of the trail, I found the perfect test subject. I ended up shooting all color on my trip, but now I kinda wish I'd taken some Acros too.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New film, ND filter, and tripod.-big-falls-horizontal-640b.jpg   New film, ND filter, and tripod.-little-falls-vertical-640.jpg  

Re: New film, ND filter, and tripod.

BEAUTIFUL shots Paul! What are you using for a ND? Also, how would you compare the grain on that to similar speed films (TMax, Plus-X, FP4, etc)? What did you end up getting for a tripod?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thanks, Aaron. I got a B+W ND filter, because they were out of Hoya and it was only a few bucks more. No complaints. For a tripod I got a Slik Sprint Pro SL. It weighs 1.9 lbs, but you couldn't support an SLR with it. It's really not big enough for my Bessa, but I didn't have any problems with it. It's designed and made well...just small. It's been a while since I shot Tmax, but so far I like Acros much better. The grain is slightly bigger than Tmax but I like the tones a lot more. PlusX is not even in the same category...it's grain is barely smaller than TriX in my experience. Acros grain is much closer to Tmax. I've never shot FP4.

Paul

Thanks Paul I'm going to have give Acros a try. I LOVE Neopan 400 and hopefully will be just as happy with the Acros.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Thanks Paul I'm going to have give Acros a try. I LOVE Neopan 400 and hopefully will be just as happy with the Acros.
    I hope I don't like Neopan 400 too much because I have 10 rolls of TriX in the fridge.
    I'll find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    I hope I don't like Neopan 400 too much because I have 10 rolls of TriX in the fridge.
    I'll find out soon enough.
    Well, that depends. Seems most who shoot and love Tri-x do so for the grain. Neopan is just as easy to work with but, has less grain than the Tri-X does. Though, I have only shot Tri-X in 35mm and only shot Neopan in 120 so I can't do a complete comparison as seems sometimes there can be differences between the formats.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Those are nice shots. Tri-X is a great film. You can push the developer hotter and agitate more aggressively to blow out the midtones and create a harsher contrast. You can also wash with near boiling water after the developer to recticulate the emulsion. On certain subjects it is a good film to choose.
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

Quote Originally Posted by reverberation
    Those are nice shots. Tri-X is a great film. You can push the developer hotter and agitate more aggressively to blow out the midtones and create a harsher contrast. You can also wash with near boiling water after the developer to recticulate the emulsion. On certain subjects it is a good film to choose.
    Thanks, Reverberation. I'm beginning to learn that there are a lot of good films out there. I'm eager to shoot more Acros, but that roll of Neopan 400 turned out nicely too. I developed it about the same as I do TriX, but it came out with significantly more contrast. I like it but I don't think it will replace TriX for me. I still have to try Delta 100, but right now I'm thinking Acros will be my new 100 speed film. Good bye Tmax.

Paul

Paul, beautiful shots - I just love images like these.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thread Information