ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

New Camera - first photos!

I just got my new E-PL1 yesterday and only had enough time to take it out of the box and look at it!

I had an appointment in NY today so I only had about an hour to try out the E-PL1. I just had enough time to attach the kit lens (14-42), put it in auto - and snap away. Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to learn the camera a bit more and try different settings.

The sun was very bright (about 2:00 p.m.) and it shows in some of the photos. However, I think it did pretty good for auto - I'm going to like this camera! I love the feel - it's easy to handle and feels comfortable in my hands. A few ounces lighter than the E-P1 - but nice looking (as you can see in PJ's review, video.

Don't look at the composition - just quick snapshots - straight out of camera no post processing..

Input and comments (positive or negative) are most welcome. Thanks.

Liz

This guy was good - he was "frozen in time" and you couldn't even see his breaths, then a mechanical noise went off - and he would quickly move to another position.

Re: New Camera - first photos!

Wow. I took pics of almost the same buildings on New Years when I was in Time square..
    Olympus Evolt E-420,
    Zuiko 14-42mm F3.5/5.6
    Zuiko 40-150mm F4/5.6
    Zuiko 50mm F/1.8
    Vivitar 75-300mm F4/5.6
    Promaster Spectrum 7 2x teleconverter
    I <3 Bokeh

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Nice and sharp! When you have a new camera, it seems like charging the battery for the first shots take EONS! Congrats on the new equipment.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Nice! What mode did you have it on.
    I finally looked up the E-PL1 and see it is quite the compact camera with a dslr sensor, shoots raw, and you can interchange lenses.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I *love* number 3
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

These are outstanding, Liz! Can't wait to see what you've had time to learn what the new camera can do!
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Beautiful shots - I really like the first one.

The camera seems pretty slick. Seems ideal as a walk-about camera. You picked a good one I think.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

That's very good for auto-exposure in such difficult light. About how many DIDN'T it succeed in getting right?
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Always love your take on the Big Apple Liz. Hope this new camera opens up a whole new world of photography for you.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Nice and sharp! When you have a new camera, it seems like charging the battery for the first shots take EONS! Congrats on the new equipment.
    Thanks Megan. I really enjoyed taking the camera out for the first time, even though I didn't have a lot of time. I was pleasantly surprised at the results, especially since it was used on auto with no pp.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Nice! What mode did you have it on.
    I finally looked up the E-PL1 and see it is quite the compact camera with a dslr sensor, shoots raw, and you can interchange lenses.
    Thanks for the comments, Frog. I only had a short time to shoot and it was my first time to take it out, so I just put the lens on, set it to auto - and that was it. At least I could see what it is capable of. I was happy with the results. I thought I'd get another chance yesterday, but my schedule changed and I didn't have time to do any shooting. However, I have it in my schedule this week. :thumbsup:

BTW, I don't shoot RAW because I don't like sitting at the computer to work on post processing (another reason I like the camera - the jpg output is excellent). I do some post processing on my images, but just use PSE7 - and do the minimal. I try to get the best I can out of camera.

These photos are not post processed.

Liz

Liz

Thanks for the comments, Axle. NYC is always a nice place to have fun - lots of "it only happens in NY" photo ops - except I didn't have time to look for them this time.

Loupey - this is a great walk-about camera! I really like the way it handles and how easy it is to operate. I'm even more comfortable with it than the E-P1 (surprisingly to me).

CaraRose - thanks for comments. I do look forward to spending more time learning - hopefully this week.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    That's very good for auto-exposure in such difficult light. About how many DIDN'T it succeed in getting right?
    Thanks Charles (I always enjoy your comments - and challenges)

Yes, I got some not-so-good images. However, I have to say that after looking at them on the computer, I could track most of the not-so-good images right to the photographer. The sun was quite bright along with a lot of contrast with the shadows. It was a bit challenging to find just the right angle. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist - so what I don't like, get deleted. I think I probably deleted about 15 out of about 60. The rest are okay for the most part. I didn't spend a lot of time going over each one as it was late when I returned.

Another problem I encountered was my lack of skill with PSE7 (I'm used to PSE3). I found the images looked much worse when I viewed them from there for some reason. When I went to my external hd where they were transferred to, they looked much better. I have a long way to go in this area.

Liz

Beautiful shots Liz I am plum jealous. I am just going to have to get a u4/3rd camera. I am really thinking of a Panasonic. Maybe after tax season. I am glad you found a solution for the weight problem and that Olympus had the answer. Now you get to help field questions in the Oly forum. How is the shutter lag compared to your Canon?
    I am almost tempted to sell my M6, almost that is.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Thanks for the comments, Axle. NYC is always a nice place to have fun - lots of "it only happens in NY" photo ops - except I didn't have time to look for them this time.
    Liz
    Sweet! I look forward to visiting the city this summer.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    Sweet! I look forward to visiting the city this summer.
    Maybe we could have a get-together in NYC? We've done NYC get-togethers a few times a few years ago. It was a lot of fun. It would be nice to do that again.

Liz

We will hit new york over the july 4 weekend probably. ...want to go to Babbo's again, but probably won't, since there are about a billion restaurants we haven't done there.

Great start with the new camera, Liz! I think these photos look excellent - especially for a first outing with a new camera. I especially like the first one with that nice bit of sun flare. Did you have any issues with it? How do you feel about the controls, compared to your E-P1? Do you miss the dials or does it not matter to you?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Maybe we could have a get-together in NYC? We've done NYC get-togethers a few times a few years ago. It was a lot of fun. It would be nice to do that again.

Liz
    Cool idea, but I will only be in NYC for one day, rest of the time, doing what I usually do, poking around NJ's abandonments.

Liz

OT - thanks for the kind words. Yes, I do love the "Big Apple" and there are always lots of photo ops. I normally go to NY to do street photography; however, I had an appointment there, and wanted to concentrate more on seeing what jpg results I could get in that bright sun, so concentrated more on the buildings with contrast, sky, sun/shadows, etc. I'm looking foward to taking it out again. It has inspired me to actually put photography in my schedule, instead of just thinking about it.

Greg - thanks for your response to the shots. I agree that the E-PL1 is a great little camera. It's easy handling and I'm looking forward to more time with it. The price was right too!

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Great start with the new camera, Liz! I think these photos look excellent - especially for a first outing with a new camera. I especially like the first one with that nice bit of sun flare. Did you have any issues with it? How do you feel about the controls, compared to your E-P1? Do you miss the dials or does it not matter to you?
    Thanks for looking John. I like the first one, too. It would have been nice to have taken this shot with the 20mm/f1.7 to get another perspective; however, the area is a very busy place - streetlights, cabs, trees, wires, etc.

I had a little over an hour to shoot - and no I didn't have any issues at all. Having said that, I had it on "auto" the whole time because I didn't have time to check out the different buttons, settings, read the manual, etc. I just had time to put the lens on and start shooting.

I have to play with the controls a little more - and try different settings before I can comment further on this aspect. However, I like the way it feels, and it handles very well. It feels plenty solid (not as heavy as the E-P1/2).

The little bit of playing with the buttons I did on the bus, it seemed intuitive and quite easy to figure things out. I want to see how deep into the menu you have to go to control aperture, shutter, ISO, etc. In the meantime, there is a lot to play around with, but it doesn't look too complicated - which is a good sign for me personally! I really don't think I will miss the buttons, but will check back later after I've had a chance to delve a little deeper.

Liz

That spot of light on the background building in the first photo is a nice little accessory.

Now you have me curious to read-up on that model you got.

:thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by mdvaden
    Now you have me curious to read-up on that model you got.
    Here you go:

Olympus E-PL1 >>

Sun flare not included
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information