ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

My own little piece of Earth

I went to my town's Homecoming football game tonight. Took some pictures, then sipped coffee as I sat in the bleachers waiting for the fireworks, huddled against the increasingly cold wind. Then it was announced that the fireworks were canceled due to wind, and I decided it was time to head back home to my own cozy fireplace.

As I walked down the sidewalk in the crisp autumn air towards my car, to my right the crowded football field in the distance -- the distant clamor of the crowd occasionally broken by the announcer's voice, color and movement shimmering in its space, the glare of the field lights spilling into the night -- and to my left dozens of parked cars of the townspeople attending the game, with a few people waiting in the warmth of their cars for family members to return, I suddenly felt the enormity of the earth and my small place in space. I felt a connection with the hugeness of the world. Through my feet I could almost feel the steps of the rest of you in your respective pieces of earth. I could almost see the span of earth between myself and gahspidy on the bank of a river, setting up for a bridge shot.

It was a neat feeling. Unfortunately I couldn't capture it on film, so I thought I'd try to present it to you using words.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Liz

Thanks for sharing it!

"Unfortunately I couldn't capture it on film, so I thought I'd try to present it to you using words."

And you did. As I read your post, I could visualize what you were sharing. I think I've said this to you before, Kelly, but I'll say it again. You have a gift for writing as well as photography. I enjoy reading your posts. Do you write? I'm a writer myself. But it's like photography in my life right now, I haven't set aside the time to do either.

Keep posting - either photos or the written images in which you portray the scenes very well. ;)

Liz

Re: Thanks for sharing it!

Liz, everyone tells me I should be a Writer. I think I should too, except for that one critical little thing: I don't write. I'd rather do ANYTHING else than sit and write.

I love to think about writing, but I just don't sit my butt in a chair and do it.

Maybe that will change next year if I clear my calendar of the other things I'm doing. Maybe if my internet connection goes down permanently, I'll write. ;)
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: My own little piece of Earth

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    It was a neat feeling. Unfortunately I couldn't capture it on film, so I thought I'd try to present it to you using words.
    Happens all the time. Thats where a written journal is useful. It's another way of capturing the event and turning it into something tangible.

Charles

Thread Information