ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

Photo Assignment for client

Hey guys!

I had a new BIG client approach me yesterday. They want one large color wildflower print (no problem) and two large B&W Ranch landscapes (problem). I have until the end of March to have the prints matted and framed. So I went scouting today. The lighting was icky. The clouds were thin and boring. Anyway, my client was a bit vague with their requests. Only specifics were, B&W, & more concentration on landscapes (Texas Ranches) instead of animals such as horses, longhorns ...

Since they want B&W, then I figured that old barnes, fences, etc, should do the trick, esp. since B&W captures the details so well

So what do you think about these barns?

Thanks!

Canon 10D
    Bogen tripod
    Canon 28-135 IS & 50 1.8
    ISO 100
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo Assignment for client-699b-w.jpg   Photo Assignment for client-704b-w.jpg  

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    I can't decide if I like these are not. Are they a bit boring?

Well Kathy, I wouldnt say boring....maybe lacking something. You are right, the sky is "icky". The first image is nice but the foreground looks kinda dark to me ( maybe thats just me). If no animals are wanted in the image, what about some machinary or tools used around a ranch. The good news is you have some time to find a good scene. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.
    Good luck.

jeff
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

I agree with Jeff about your images. Maybe shoot on a day with a lot of stormy clouds to add drama to the sky. A light yellow filter or red filter always helps darken the sky too. Another suggestion is to maybe have some cowboys sitting on a fence with the barn/ranch in the BG. Just some ideas i'm throwing out. Make sure you get a property/model release. Hope this helps; good luck and congrats on your Big client!
    Cory
    <a href="http://www.photoportfolios.net/portfolio/pf.cgi?a=up&pi=SIERRA4MEE" target="_blank">My portfolio</a>

Simple is fine

A dramatic sky would turn these very good images to topshelf images. So watch for better weather and try shooting within an hour or some of sunrise or sunset.

This is image is from a scanned print, but you can see how the sky can really make an impact on the image.

Keep shooting!

-Dave-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sounds like a great opportunity! I personally like your images here but I don't know if they really say "Texas Hill Country" to me. Think about what makes your area unique - it's much different than northern Illinois! Barns and fences are good, but try to find something more unique to the area. I saw alot of barbed wire, Texas flags (not just flags, but painted on mailboxes, etc), Ranch Road signs, wide open spaces and different types of plants than we'd see up here. Heck, I even saw a roadrunner!

I look forward to seeing more.

Kathy there is a Pioneer Farm in north Austin that has some pretty neat barns on it but I am not sure how often they are open now due to budget cuts in Austin. I have some photos I'll try to post to see if they are the type of barns you are looking for. I like your barn photos but also have to agree a more dramatic sky would improve the look of them.
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Liz

Cool Suggestion

Hi Kathy,

Good to see you around.....and posting some pics. Personally I love the barns; however I'm not sure the barn may not be all of the "landscape" they want. They don't want you to focus on animals, so I wonder if they want more of a "wider" landscape to including acres, barn more in background, etc.

If I were you (since it's vague) I would try calling and speaking with the person who gave you the info, and simply ask him. That way the guessing game is over.

I love barns.....and your photography is great!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl
    Hey guys!

I had a new BIG client approach me yesterday. They want one large color wildflower print (no problem) and two large B&W Ranch landscapes (problem). I have until the end of March to have the prints matted and framed. So I went scouting today. The lighting was icky. The clouds were thin and boring. Anyway, my client was a bit vague with their requests. Only specifics were, B&W, & more concentration on landscapes (Texas Ranches) instead of animals such as horses, longhorns ...

Since they want B&W, then I figured that old barnes, fences, etc, should do the trick, esp. since B&W captures the details so well

So what do you think about these barns?

Thanks!

Canon 10D
    Bogen tripod
    Canon 28-135 IS & 50 1.8
    ISO 100

I would try and get a variety of subjects not just barns. If I read your post correctly they said to concentrate on landscaps and not animals. That statement did not say eliminate animals but just to concentrate on landscapes. I suggest a variety of landscapes with some including barns, some with barns and animals and several other combinations. Sometimes what people think they want and what they end up choosing after seeing different options may be totally different.

Just my humble opinion, Grandpaw

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I would try and get a variety of subjects not just barns. If I read your post correctly they said to concentrate on landscaps and not animals. That statement did not say eliminate animals but just to concentrate on landscapes. I suggest a variety of landscapes with some including barns, some with barns and animals and several other combinations. Sometimes what people think they want and what they end up choosing after seeing different options may be totally different.

Just my humble opinion, Grandpaw
    Great advice!

Clients sometimes jsut have a vague idea of what they're looking for, and they hire us to supply the creativity they may lack. Provide them with several different shots and let them pick.

If you want a better idea, I suggest using a simple digital to get some framing/shot ideas and email them to the client. If they tell you the ones they like you can go and reshoot with higher quality. I doubt they expect you to nail the shots the first time through, and if they do then they don't understand the reality of the creative business. When designing packages for our clients we go through three or four revision cycles before we arrive at the final product, when it comes to creativity you start and work your way to the end, you don't spit out the finished product the first time through.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information