ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Velvia / Argentina vs Photoshop..

Hola..

Playing around with curves and layers on a shot from my trip last year to Argentina.

Curious to know which version is the most dramatic, and if you hate it or love it, then that would be cool too.

Loren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Velvia / Argentina vs Photoshop..-southamerica_0085_work_web.jpg   Velvia / Argentina vs Photoshop..-southamerica_0085_work2_web.jpg  
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Ghost

Re: Velvia / Argentina vs Photoshop..

They both have their moods. I think I like the top one better because I spend less time looking at the sky and more time looking at the sillhouettes (probably spelled that wrong but too lazy to check).

I wish the sillhouettes of the people were separated from the trees but I guess beggers can't be choosers

played with it

I like the first one because it really accentuates the silhouettes a lot more than the second but I tend to like the color scheme better on the second one...the only thng with the second one is that I find the yellow in the middle distracting

have you considered just doing a straight duotone...that yellow just throws me off. I think they each have their own unique look but I prefer the second with those minor adjustments...
    ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    Hola..

Playing around with curves and layers on a shot from my trip last year to Argentina.

Curious to know which version is the most dramatic, and if you hate it or love it, then that would be cool too.

Loren

When I started to see the second picture appearing (I have dial-up), I thought "Eck... Why the hate?"... But on second thought, this is a cool color tranform that you did! I still prefer the first more conventional shot... Warm (yellow) colors are always more attractive. Part of the psychology of color!

I love the silhouette. Tood bad that there was some people moving!

BTW: the horizon is not straight... the sea is spilling on one side ;)

Cheers,

Steph.

I'm definitely a fan of the natural colors in the 1st one. The silhouettes tend to be more distinct and the shadows more vibrant with the yellow/orange tones.

Just my 2 cents

I find both to be interesting but personally I prefer the one with the yellow tones.
    ~Nina~

Talking Re: Velvia / Argentina vs Photoshop..

Hola..

Loren
    I like the silhouettes better in the first one. They seem to stand out better.

I like the overall mood of the second one, but it's a little too blue (bordering on purple), for my tastes. Lighten it up a little, and I think it would be more of what you were after - or at least what we think you were after. ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Everybody

Hola..

Loren
    I agree that I like the first image better. It was my first pick, and the second was a quick experiment. I will even out the horizon, which is tough because the horizon is far away from the trees.

Also, Trevor, I do wish that there was more seperation of the man from the trees. Should've waited.

Thanks for those who took the time to comment.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thread Information