ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

my last wedding. ever.

While I've enjoyed the bunch that I've done, I'm not doing anymore. I've got things I want to learn and do, and the commitment so far in advance is not something I want to continue with.

So this was my last one. And it was perfect. I loved it. The bride and groom are completely adorable, and so laid back. The location was fun, out of the ordinary. And I only shot from about 2-7:30. I used to offer a half day (4 hours for $2500) and that's what they went with.

Some from last Saturday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my last wedding.  ever.-img_0011.jpg   my last wedding.  ever.-img_0044.jpg   my last wedding.  ever.-img_0142.jpg   my last wedding.  ever.-img_0154.jpg   my last wedding.  ever.-img_0275.jpg  

I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: my last wedding. ever.

the last few....honestly, one of the sweetest couples I've ever met.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my last wedding.  ever.-img_0302.jpg   my last wedding.  ever.-img_0423.jpg  

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

The images look great Adina! Congratulations on your early "retirement" from the wedding biz.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Great pictures. It is a loss to the engaged couples in Wisconsin that they won't be able to use you as a photographer! You do a great job.
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

Congrats on excellent work. I hope you come out of wedding photog retirement
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Leave it out

You'll start doing it for free for friends and acquaintances. You'll start saying to yourself "I could do it so much better than the guy they're thinking of using" and then you're off again. When you're gifted at something it's difficult to not use your skill.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

You have a lot of talent Adina. Congrats on the retirement.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

LOOOOOOVE the sneakers! That's a great shot! Great work.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

Good Job! I have found the more weddings I do, the more I enjoy them. But I was scared by a few photographers before my first weddings, telling me how horrible it would be and how I would have bridezillas, etc. It was petrifying, but I have since learned that as long as I let them know my style, and just do the best I can, I love it and so have all my clients, thus far.
    I bet your clients were very happy with these shots as they should be. I too think that you will be doing it again someday..... as you should!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Beautiful Adi

Nice pictures but two and a half grand for 4 hours. Poor couple must have more money than sense. They have been ripped off and that's no reflection on your photographic skills.
    Hard business.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond
    Nice pictures but two and a half grand for 4 hours. Poor couple must have more money than sense. They have been ripped off and that's no reflection on your photographic skills.
    Hard business.
    Ummm...they didn't have to use me. They could have choose someone else. And a whole lot more goes into it than just the four hours on the wedding day.

How much is it worth to me to give up my Saturday with my family to do this? And a weeks worth of editing and album design? Two and a half grand. If your time is worth less than that, then price yourself that way. But I know what my time is worth to me. And in the time it takes me to do a wedding, I could have done three children's sessions, and made twice that.

btw....if you're familiar with Milwaukee at all, you'd know that my pricing is in line with just about everyone else's.

to everyone else....thanks for the comments. This was it, tho. No more weddings for me.

What a loss to the people in the area. I never thought of the cost of doing weddings until you mentioned it. I have Beccy who is 19 but I think I have time to start saving (I hope).

Lovely photo's.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Adina, Knowing you and your work, it is a sad day indeed for the wedding photography world. You're work always has a personal touch that I haven't seen in very many other photographers. You will be sorely missed in the SE Wisconsin area as well as our enjoyment of those few shots that we get to see here.
    I hope that this is only a "Brett Favre" retirement and that you come back after a short hiatus of learning and growth.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Yes, I'm agree Adina twenty five hundred for a wedding is well spented for your time. I myself shoot wedding and I know how much work that you have to do before and after the event.

Cheer Adina great job my friend but don't stop shooting ehh:thumbsup:

thanks guys...

let me clarify. I only do a handful of weddings a year. Like three or four tops. The majority of my work is kids under the age of 6. That's what I'm going to be continuing to focus on, as well as maternity/newborn stuff.

For me, the marketing and business devoted to persuing weddings isn't worth it, because of the small amount that I will commit to doing. So rather than contine to do that, I'm going to focus that energy on the children end.

It's not that I don't enjoy weddings, I do, which is why I would do handful a year. But business wise, the time and energy could be put to better use elsewhere.

In the end, it comes down to business. And the actual shooting is a very small portion of the business, I've discovered.

Besides, I want to learn to snowboard. Can you imagine the conversation? "hi, this is Adina. Yeah, I know your wedding is next weekend, but I broke my leg yesterday. Anyway we can work around that?"

here's where I spend the majority of my time....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    btw....if you're familiar with Milwaukee at all, you'd know that my pricing is in line with just about everyone else's.

to everyone else....thanks for the comments. This was it, tho. No more weddings for me.
    And downright reasonable by New York metro area standards. Congratulations on both a job well done and your decision to retire.

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Beautiful work as usual The sneekers are a hit for sure to say nothing of the the shots of the little one. Just be careful with "never" I have been bitten more than once with that word *sigh

drg

Nice work as usual from what I've seen over the past few years.

Weddings are a tremendous amount of work and with a family you'd never see them if making a living doing them very often.

I don't shoot weddings 'anymore' and haven't for 15 years but still average about two a year. As I like to say, By request only.

The kids shots are truly something you excell at so go for it.

Snowboarding??? Not so easy what you have in mind.

Best wishes . . .

A comment on costs, one current thought is that the photographic expense should fall in the 10-15% range of the total wedding expenditure. A budget wedding with snacks, cake, punch and a cash bar can still run several thousand.

CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Smile Re: my last wedding. ever.

Never say never!

Great shots Adina.

And congratulations on retiring from wedding photography.

But....never say never....
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

That's some nice shooting. I could definitely learn a thing or two from you. I understand about moving on, tho. You gotta go with your gut/heart - whatever body part guides you.

Allow me to comment on this from the perspective of a minister who has done a fair number of weddings over the last 18 years.

I can't comment on the price (although I suspect a similar level of service would cost around the same in the UK as in the US), but I can comment on the difference between a professional and a "willing amateur friend".

One of the questions I ALWAYS ask the couple as we plan their wedding is "Are you using a professional photographer?" I admit to breathing a sigh of relief when the answer is "Yes". The bottom line is that pros know what they are doing. They are never going to use flash at inappropriate moments, they are never going to be intrusive, and they are always going to act according to the seriousness of the ceremony. In other words, you hardly know they are there.

On the other hand, the "willing amateur friend" can occasionally be a nightmare - on one occasion I actually had to pause in the middle of the wedding to deal with one who was maneuvering himself into a totally inappropriate position. Since that unhappy experience I always meet briefly with the the "friend" beforehand to explain the ground rules - with a pro I don't need to.

In short, you are not paying only for the time and the cost of the equipment. You are also paying for their experience and professionalism.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

[QUOTE=adina]

"So this was my last one. And it was perfect. I loved it. The bride and groom are completely adorable, and so laid back."

Wonderful shot,last of the first set,with sun's rays
    -.no price can be put on getting a memory like that.

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

Make no judgments where you have no compassion
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Thread Information