ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My First Exhibit. . .A good experience

Hey All,
    Saturday, May 21st was my first exhibit (outdoor). It was an exhibit put on at Philosophybox gallery and featured an indoor exhibit which will be there for a few weeks and an outdoor exhibit entitled "Boundaries" There were several artists and A performance by Aki Sasamoto. It turned out to be a very good day all around. weather held up all day and I was pleased at the attention and positive feedback that my work had received. I had displayed my "Canscape" series as i felt it was right for an outdoor exhibit.
    Also, I'd like the thank Seb ( our PR member from Montreal) for making it out and getting the chance to meet. He is an interesting person with a good sense of humor. Also, Nina made it out and we all went out for some great Indian food.
    Here are just a few shots from my day.
    Thanks for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Exhibit. . .A good experience-0505-0721xweb.jpg   My First Exhibit. . .A good experience-0505-1121xweb.jpg   My First Exhibit. . .A good experience-0505-2121xweb.jpg   My First Exhibit. . .A good experience-0505-2921xweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: My First Exhibit. . .A good experience

Gary
    Congrats on your first exhibit! Your display looks fantastic.
    I am sure the process has been a long but rewarding one.... way to go

-Rebekah
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

I was excited that you had the opportunity to present your work to people outside of the forum and you did draw quite a bit of attention and I'm so very happy about that.
    Very glad to have met Seb as well. Really great guy and will hopefully see more of him in the near future...
    ~Nina~

Gary,

Congrats on such a great series and the chance to exhibit it pubically. Looks great!

Jared

learning member

It' great you 3 could get together!
    Way to go, those prints look awsome even on the screen.
    Mark.

Hi Gary, congrats on the exhibition. I have to say your can series has always been very strong individually but always thought that seen as a series they must look great all together, and from what i can see there, it certainly works!!!!!

Regards

Chris
    "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"

Nikon Samurai #16

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Congrats Gary!!! You display looks great, and this must have been a very rewarding experience. Way to go!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I've never been sure how to feel about the cans...although somne were really nice as single images...WOW...they are so cool when grouped...

It really comes together for me to see them displayed that way...little treasures of color in all the BW...very cool. conrats on your showing ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

That's impressive Gary. Congrats. Couldn't you have worked a gnarly 55 gal drum into your display??
    ----------------------------

Liz

Gary,

This is very impressive. I'm sorry I missed it - we spent the whole day at the zoo - Joe Mags, his wife and baby. There just wasn't a way to do both. However, if I'm reading it correctly, the following quote from your post indicates the exhibit will still be there - inside? If this is the case, I could probably see it this week or next. I would love to do that.

It was an exhibit put on at Philosophybox gallery and featured an indoor exhibit which will be there for a few weeks and an outdoor exhibit entitled "Boundaries

Very very nice. I'd like to see it in person.

Liz

Talking Re: My First Exhibit. . .A good experience

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Hey All,
    Saturday, May 21st was my first exhibit (outdoor). It was an exhibit put on at Philosophybox gallery and featured an indoor exhibit which will be there for a few weeks and an outdoor exhibit entitled "Boundaries" There were several artists and A performance by Aki Sasamoto. It turned out to be a very good day all around. weather held up all day and I was pleased at the attention and positive feedback that my work had received. I had displayed my "Canscape" series as i felt it was right for an outdoor exhibit.
    Also, I'd like the thank Seb ( our PR member from Montreal) for making it out and getting the chance to meet. He is an interesting person with a good sense of humor. Also, Nina made it out and we all went out for some great Indian food.
    Here are just a few shots from my day.
    Thanks for looking

Congratulations!!! It looks like a great display, and the images really worked well together. Here's hoping you'll have many more!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Hi Gary, congratulations on you exhibition! Good to see that all that hard work pays off in the end and you are getting the recognition you deserve.

Cheers,
    Frank
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Right On!!!!

It's a good feeling to show your photography publically! Isn't it Gary?
    Way To Go!! It looks like your photographs were well received.
    I see you went with the black mattes. Looks good!
    What made you to go with the black then?
    Are they just matted then? It's hard to tell.
    Keep at it!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

That's awesome. Congratulations!

I always wondered when your can series would be on display. How many did you sell?

Thank you all for the support and kind wishes. It really is a good experience, especially when people come by , stop and look, and then inquire as to all different aspects of the works. I made no sales ( neither did anyone else) and I don't think anyone there was expecting to, as this is not a good part of town for this sort of thing. But for me , the experience of it was rewarding enough. and as Brian says, it does feel nice to get exposure and to share your passion. ( when I cash in some of these cans for the deposit, i may see a bit of change afterall) ;)
    Liz, this outdoor showing was one of three. Each artist can enter only one date. so this was a one day affair for me. The indoor exhibit is there for a couple of weeks. I was supposed to, and may still have a exhibit inside the gallery that would run for a few weeks, but I'm not sure yet if this gallery and location is what i want.

I usually try to address every response , but there are many responses here already . . I read every post and very much appreciate the warm wishes and positive thoughts you have all shared with me. Thanks very much

gary

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

It turned out to be a very good day all around. weather held up all day and I was pleased at the attention and positive feedback that my work had received.
    Congrats! Will it be showing this coming Sunday?

Megan

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Congrats! Will it be showing this coming Sunday?

Megan
    Thanks Megan! No, my day in the sun (literally) was the 21st. The indoor exhibit (which consists of two artists. . .one is a two minute video clip the other two very large paintings) will be running through the end of the month.

gary

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Thanks Megan! No, my day in the sun (literally) was the 21st. The indoor exhibit (which consists of two artists. . .one is a two minute video clip the other two very large paintings) will be running through the end of the month.

oh well. i was there in spirit! at least i got to see the photos of the exhibit. hopefully, next time you show, i won't have double-booked friends and events, and can make it.

megan

You must of had a grand day indeed Especialy Meeting Seb and Nina. It must have been quite the experience for you , im glad all went well for you . maybe some day i will be able to visit one of your future exhibit`s .

Just wanted to add my congratulations Gary, the pics look very impressive grouped together like that - I hope this is the first of many public outings for your work.

matt

All your work - both pre and post capture - appears to have paid off. Your finished prints have impact even in the images you have posted here...Congratulations on your exhibit - hopefully the first of many more to come.

Tuna

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Talking You Know Penny...

You may have a point there Penny.
    I have never been a fan of this particular series of Gary's, unlike the "View From Within" series.
    But you bring out some interesting points that might change my mind.
    So Gary, let's arrange for some kind of meeting so I can see these photographs in person.
    OK? OK!
    ;)
    Brian
    Seriously Sarcastic!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Gary, just wanted to say contrads on the show - your work is certainly worthy of it!

Seb

Wow Gary, you already managed to post pictures of your display here, that was fast! (your lab is faster than mine was...)

Being there was my pleasure! I know that you went through a whole lot of work to put this series together and it shows up. The craftmanship of each single print is stunning.

I am looking forward for your next exhibit!

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    oh well. i was there in spirit! at least i got to see the photos of the exhibit. hopefully, next time you show, i won't have double-booked friends and events, and can make it.

megan
    Thanks, likewise. btw, I'm a film fan as well.

gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information