ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Pentax Forum Moderator

Mountain Bikers "BEWARE"!!!

Hi all...especially the mtb'ers out there. I'm just giving you all fair warning that I purchased a Giant Mountain Bike today and will be hitting the trails soon. This is no joke!!!!!! For those of you who have seen my picture...Lance Armstrong I'm not!!! In fact, I make Baby Huey look small...
    Anyway...now that the fun is over...Truly, I found an amazing buy at a garage sale today, at least I think it was. It was a Giant Acapulco Mountain Bike for $5.00. Everything works smoothly on it. Very mild rust and only in a few spots. Wheels are basically straight and no cracks. Tires/tubes still hold air. Seat is in perfect shape w/no tears. The tires look almost new, except they are showing signs of heat cracking/drying, but will do for a short while.
    All in all, it looks better than any other bike I've seen except a new one that people want much more for and those are Kmart and Walmart bikes, and I got a Giant!!!
    Anyway, here is the pic below. I will put some more on later of the gears and stuff and maybe you mtb'ers can let me know if I got as good a deal as I think.
    And yes...I've already ridden it!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Bikers "BEWARE"!!!-alexis-w-new-bike-pr.jpg  
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Re: Mountain Bikers "BEWARE"!!!

If it fits, it's a real bargain - if it doesn't... - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Pentax Forum Moderator

hehe OC...well...it seems to fit ok...and if it gets too uncomfortable...my model loves it and it fit her perfectly...with the seat dropped down of course...hahaha!!! (The model is my granddaughter).
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Ken, I ride all the time. My friends and I rode the c&o towpath from Cumberland MD to Washington DC, 184 + miles. We camped along the way taking our food tents and stuff with us. This year we rode the Great Alligany Passage from Cumberland to somewhere in PA around 150 miles. I make cars look small, I am no Lance either. At one point a senior citizens tour passed us.

I bought a Raleigh M50 at a police auction for 55 bucks, a $400 bike. I use to ride a walmart mt bike from 1990 something.

Ride for your health twice a week, it makes a big difference.

Ride brother ride.

Z6145192_800x600

My bike

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Repeat after Me !

Bikes from walmart/K-mart are JUNK !

They are not safe!!!
    they may look better that your $5 Giant from a garage sale , But They are Not!!!

Good Score , have fun riding it !
    Feel free to edit my Pics to show me how to make them Better.

Giants are good bikes. I think you will be happy. I have a LeMond road bike I have finally finished tweaking and tuning on. I road 12 miles this morning.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Pentax Forum Moderator

Don't laugh PLS!!!

OK...here I am!!! On a flat track, yesterday!! I made about 5 small laps and one of the long laps so probably got in about a mile and a half. Amazingly, not sore at all this morning. Do however need to get a different seat and handlebars. My granddaughter did a very good job as photographer, however, I will spare you all the "plumbers" shots she so laughingly took!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Bikers "BEWARE"!!!-2-giants-pr.jpg  
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

your seat is too low
    Feel free to edit my Pics to show me how to make them Better.

Ghost

Any bike for $5 that works is a good deal. Have fun!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Thanx all...Splats...I got alot of tweaking to do on it. I am going to change the seat and handlebars. I need bars that will allow me to sit more upright.

Tyson, I'd love to be able to do a long trip like those. My first goal is to ride to Cuba City, which is about a 20 mile round trip. I'm hoping to do that before summers/falls end. I'm also hoping to get in at least 3-4 times or more a week until school starts. Then the grandkids will have less time to go with us. When I lived in Flagstaff, AZ I used to bike almost everyday about 20 miles (round trip). 5 to school, 5 to work and then 10 home. Terrain was all hills. That was about 25 years ago and 60lbs lighter. haha
    Anyway...right now, like you, I'm getting passed by the senior citizens!!!

Hey Greg, man your recup is really coming along...12 miles. I guess I'll have to set my goals based on you. After all you've been through recently!!!!
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information