ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

A month of firsts...

Gotta start sometime, right?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Re: A month of firsts...

These are all excellent shots! You've really captured the moment. I like the last one the best. I can imagine seeing it in a book. The b&w, combined with my notions of this kind of wrestling, give it a really old school look...to me.

But, I don't understand your title.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Great photos as always Seb. You just get better and better each time I see your work. Hope you have been doing well!!
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

Seb,

A nice title first off. I'm not sure if it's referring to you shooting for the first time or all those people you've captured winning first. I like it. Wonderful shots by the way, well done.

Jared

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Sebastian...great shots...I especially like the swimmer, You should be very proud of these...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Nice job there Sebastian...what, are you following me around? I shot all three of these sports this week.

I am curious though, they let you use a flash at swimming? That would get you booted here in Indiana. They announce before every meet that flash is not allowed. It's also in the rules for the individual sports.

JS

As a former competitive swimmer I have to say that #2 has the biggest impact on me personally. I have seen the work of a lot of photographers in regards to swimming. Most of it is rather lack luster, but this shot of yours is really nice. It puts me back in the pool, and that to me is what a good swim shot should do.

Nice work my friend.
    Last edited by almo; 12-18-2005 at 05:59 AM.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Great looking shots, I have to agree with Ken and Almo on these here. The swimmer is great, I like the reflection in the water that adds to it and the moment of he was coming up for air, nice timing...

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I think the swimmer is the best one Seb.
    I like the symmetry, balance and the reflection.
    Good stuff!
    What exactly made them "firsts" Tell us more! ;)
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Nice job there Sebastian...what, are you following me around? I shot all three of these sports this week.

I am curious though, they let you use a flash at swimming? That would get you booted here in Indiana. They announce before every meet that flash is not allowed. It's also in the rules for the individual sports.

JS
    That's what's so irritating, even though sporting organizations have surveyed athletes and found out that less than 10% even NOTICE the flash, schools still stupidly disallow them. Around here, we can strobe and use flash pretty much wherever we want. Not a single complaint, ever. The only time they ever mentioned it was right before the starts of the individual swim meets. No flash until AFTER the swimmers jump. They also demand complete silence. I look at it like with golf, you just go with the rules.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. The title refers to me shooting each sport for the first time.
    -Seb

My website

Great shots.... What canon are you using and lenses. The color is perfect the images are wonderful. Love the swimmer, that one will sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    That's what's so irritating, even though sporting organizations have surveyed athletes and found out that less than 10% even NOTICE the flash, schools still stupidly disallow them. Around here, we can strobe and use flash pretty much wherever we want. Not a single complaint, ever. The only time they ever mentioned it was right before the starts of the individual swim meets. No flash until AFTER the swimmers jump. They also demand complete silence. I look at it like with golf, you just go with the rules.

Personally I don't think flash is needed most of the time. The other night at a wrestling match, in a well lit gym a guy was blaasting away with flash on his Nikon. He ruined 22 shots of mine because he can't shoot without flash. Never mind it's againt the state rules. I was po'ed to say the least....and flooded his email with all 22 shots at full size...I know for a fact the guy has dial up.....hmmm, 22 shots at minimum 6MB

JS

Great b&w action. Good contrast.
    Shooting minor league baseball, I've asked several pitchers in the past if the flash from behind home plate ever bothers them (I personally never use it), and about 95% say they don't notice it. Shows pretty good focus if a flash is unnoticed by an athlete.

Nice three sport showcase. If this was your first time for these three sports you sure pulled off a tripe crown showing. Love to see more. You have not been posting enough of your work lately.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Great shots, Seb - and the flash really makes the water sparkle.

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Personally I don't think flash is needed most of the time. The other night at a wrestling match, in a well lit gym a guy was blaasting away with flash on his Nikon. He ruined 22 shots of mine because he can't shoot without flash. Never mind it's againt the state rules. I was po'ed to say the least....and flooded his email with all 22 shots at full size...I know for a fact the guy has dial up.....hmmm, 22 shots at minimum 6MB

JS
    I have to ask, why are you bragging about being whiny and vindictive? For Christ's sake, he didn't ruin your shots on purpose. If it's a pain, be an adult and move or ask him to be more careful, don't resort to third-grade tactics.

If you call yourself a professional then act like it. If any of my editors heard I did something like that that'd be the last time they sent me any work.

And no, flash is hardly ever needed, but having a blanket policy to rule it out makes it damn difficult in those small instances when it is needed.
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    Great b&w action. Good contrast.
    Shooting minor league baseball, I've asked several pitchers in the past if the flash from behind home plate ever bothers them (I personally never use it), and about 95% say they don't notice it. Shows pretty good focus if a flash is unnoticed by an athlete.
    Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Nice three sport showcase. If this was your first time for these three sports you sure pulled off a tripe crown showing. Love to see more. You have not been posting enough of your work lately.
    Thanks OT. As for not posting as much, sometimes you just have to pay attention to the rest of life, whether you want to or not.
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Great shots, Seb - and the flash really makes the water sparkle.
    Thanks Steve. BTW, check your email.
    -Seb

My website

Thanks OT. As for not posting as much, sometimes you just have to pay attention to the rest of life, whether you want to or not.

You mean there is more to life than the internet?

Right now ours consists of the couch and the tv. Along with bronchitis, ear infections and pink eye, depending on who you are refering to.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

also, nice shots. The third is my favorite. Although I never understood why guys would want to do that, it always looks so intense.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    You mean there is more to life than the internet?

Right now ours consists of the couch and the tv. Along with bronchitis, ear infections and pink eye, depending on who you are refering to.
    Here we've been fighting with all sorts of our own issues, including a mystery sickness brought back from Brazil. It has been a terrible year medically speaking.

As for wrestling, guys will take ANY opportunity to fight without getting in trouble for it.
    -Seb

My website

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I hope you're going to post some over in the Sports forum too !
    They're very good, as usual from you.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Talking Re: A month of firsts...

Gotta start sometime, right?
    And what a start you've made! Great shots buddy!

:-D
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information