ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Merry Christmas/ PS look ?

First, I what to wish everyone HAPPY HOLIDAYS and wish all of you the best. Hope we all get the camera, lenses and/or accessories we want.

Secondly, I took this photo trying to set up for our party on Saturday. (Sorry we are not dressed up for it.) I am planning on taking portraits of everyone and print them out so they can all have one. I think I have the effect I was looking for (well lit tree w/ darker ambiance) but my wife, Chip, and I look photoshoped in front of the tree. Why?

Please excuse my translation of the setting I know how to set them not how to explain them.
    This was a no flash just ambient light from another room.
    Shutter @ .8
    ISO @ 1600
    Aper @ +2

How can I improve this shot w/o changing the conditions

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Re: Merry Christmas/ PS look ?

It looks like you just need a little light from the front. Your tree lights at the slow shutter speed are overpowering you and creating a halo glow around your backs - hence the photoshopped look - very flat. I played around with it a bit to show you what it might look like with a little more main ambient up front. Think about a lamp or something for more light.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Take a look at my comments on this photo in the gallery: http://gallery.photographyreview.com...cat=all&page=1

I don't think you look Photoshopped at all. I just think it's too dark and too tungsteny. I would change the white balance to the tungsten preset and shoot it lighter. Actually, I'd want to throw some flash on the people to brighten them up and separate them from the background. I also just want better colored light on you two. The yellow is really bothering me.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

My try at getting it a bit better maybe. I do agree with the others, the thing you need to do is white balance the image. Which is basically what I did, pick the mans jumper for instance the middle eye dropper in levels and see what happens to the image.

Anyway Merry Xmas from here downunder as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Merry Christmas/ PS look ?-xmasfamily_med_a.jpg  

Thanks for the idea. I think i can turn on some more light for the front fill. Or maybe turn back the shutter a bit!

I just got the EX430 flash and I feel for the look i was trying to get it was way to much. Every way bounced, straight on synced ect. Not sure besides adding more light in the front how I can make the people nice and bright and the background lit up by the tree. Maybe the look i am trying for is more difficult than i thought.

Color

Color is more of an issue for me than the amount of light. Although I would prefer a bit more light on the people, I realy just want the white balance to be correct on them. I'd do that by using just a tiny bit of flash. That's kind of complicated, though. And I'm not sure that you have that kind of control with the 430. If you only want one picture, you might try shoot one frame with just the tree and the same white balance. Then shoot another frame with the people and the tungsten white balance setting. Then, using Photoshop layers, combine them so that the people have the correct color and the background keeps that warm look.
    Photo-John

I wouldnt mind messing around in PS if I was not taking these at my Party. My plan is to Take some pics of each couple comming and quickly print them so they have a nice christmas photo from our party! I will try the lighting change tonight and mess with the WB setting on the camera also and see what comes out........

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by LensCrazy
    My plan is to Take some pics of each couple comming and quickly print them so they have a nice christmas photo from our party!
    I was thinking that might be your plan. And I agree that using Photoshop isn't such a good idea, then. I'm not sure what kind of flash control you have with the Rebel XT and the 430 flash. But if you set up your exposure for the room light and then add the flash at -1 or -2 flash exposure compensation, I think it will look great. Then you can have white light on your subjects and that warm yellow light on the background. The trick is using manual exposure to set up the main exposure. By the way, this is a great project to help you learn more about how exposure works. Anyone else who's interested in learning more about exposure might try this same photo. Glad you posted it.
    Photo-John

OK I am figuring out some of the problems... I think the 3D/PS look is coming from me AF on the tree then going in front of the tree with my remote. CLICK tree in focus me slightly out of focus.

John,

MY 430EX has a flash exposure compensation of +3 is this what your talking about? Well away we go to take some more test photos. My neighbors must think there is a party with strobe lights and dancing.

Focus

Next time you focus, focus on either your wife or the seat you're using, then switch the lens to manual focus to lock the focus. Recompose after that. That will ensure that the focus is on you and not the tree.

The +3 exposure compensation on your flash is what I was talking about. If you set up the exposure for the background and then play with the flash exposure compensation, you should find an exposure balance that you like. If you plan to do this with a bunch of people at your party, you should also do a test print. Sometimes things don't print exactly as you expect. Get that shot completely tuned up before the party!
    Photo-John

Thanks a lot, all these tips have helped a bunch. I am learning so much.
    I wish I had figured out the flash exposure before I ruined all the photo I took at Disney Sunday night.

O well part of the process

Dont know about the technical other than maybe providing more light or a fill flash for the faces but I really really love your baby there!! He/She is so darn cute I want to keep him/her!!!

My parents had a little girl (Peaches) just like this one and I miss her dearly

Thanks for sharing a beautiful photo

Thread Information