ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: I got cancer

I got cancer

Almost 2 months ago, I found out I had cancer. I had been sick with flu-like symptoms a few weeks before. I had seen the doctor once about it and they agreed it looked like flu. It didn't go away so I went back and they did some more tests. The tests came back and my blood counts were wacked out. The stuck me in an ambulance and drove me almost 3 hours away to a hospital in Houston that could better handle leukemia. I don't remember much after that because they loaded me with so many drugs. I know I was on a heavy dose of fentanyl and I got sedated. I'm told that I had severe brain stem swelling and also had severe hallucinations, kidney failure, and liver failure. In total, I spent 18 days in the ICU. When they pulled the ventilator they gave me a tracheostomy so my airways wouldn't collapse. They kept me in for another week to make sure my swallowing was good and to get me started on my physical therapy. I actually got discharged on Good Friday but have been essentially living in Houston because I've had so many appointments. I got my first chemo while I was sedated, and I got my 2nd last week. I have 6 more to go, but I'm at least in remission now. My Dr. is releasing me to go home to get my blood draws done up there so I will only have to come to Houston a couple of times a month for specific appointments.

I gotta say I'm happy to be alive. I'm told that I very nearly died due to the brain stem swelling and that my first chemo was done as an emergency. My vision is worse now and will probably need a new prescription, and my muscles need work because I have severe atrophy for being in a hospital bed for a month. But I'm doing well. I drove my car on highways and city streets yesterday for the first time (except for practice in parking lots and neighborhoods). I can walk a little shakily but without falling. I'm doing pretty well and happy I get to go home and not sleep in an RV this weekend.
    - Nate
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF-S 18-55 IS
    Canon EF 75-300 II f4-5.6

Re: I got cancer

Its good that you're feeling better, and I hope you make a smooth recovery.

Liz

Nate,

I'm so sorry that you have been diagnosed with Leukemia and had to go through the emotional and physical trauma that you've experienced lately. Thank you for sharing it with us so that we can support and encourage you - and pray for you.

I'm glad you're doing so much better, and thankfully you're getting around and able to drive. I will pray for you, especially that you continue to improve and will begin to feel stronger in the days ahead. I have a friend who has had Leukemia for many years, most of this time the disease has been in remission. I hope the chemo and other treatments will work this way for you also.

God bless you and please keep us updated - come back anytime you want to share - we're here for you!

Liz

Always very sorry to hear of this type of misfortune but the important thing is that things sound like they're getting better for the time being. Hang in there and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Glad to hear you're doing better!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

It must have been a real shocker for you Nat but it sounds as if you are through the worst of it. Something to remember is that the mind has an immense amount of power over the body when it comes to getting over disease as can be clearly seen by the placebo effect. Basically you know you are going to beat this thing, keep that in mind and do not accept anything less. Stay positive mate, stay positive.
    Keep your sense of proportion by regularly, preferably daily, visiting the natural world.

Ah, NateHawk over on mtbr. :thumbsup: (I post as Call_me_Al).

I posted in the thread that your wife Melissa started, but once again, I am glad you have made it through the worst and have improved so much over where you were just a few weeks ago. Hang in there, man.

Glad to hear that you're in remission!
    Hector
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=279782

Nikon D90
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Nikon 18-105 3.5 VR
    Nikon 70-300 4.5 VR
    Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

Hi, you should not be that afraid of death.. as one day we all have to die and do you really love this world alot.

I am happy you are recovered.

Nate,

I'm so happy to hear you are in remission. What a horrible ordeal you've been through. You've got a wonderful spirit and that will see you through. Please keep checking in so we know how you are doing.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Oh Nate I am so sorry.
    I'm happy to see you are back though. My thoughts are with you.

I'm recovering, not quite recovered. I still have several chemo treatments to go and I have a small bit of remnant swelling on my brain stem from one of my early complications. It's not a tumor, but rather a neoplastic syndrome. It's shrinking, so so far, I don't think my Dr. has any special plans for it.
    - Nate
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF-S 18-55 IS

Really sorry to hear you have been so ill,hope the rest of the chemo goes well for you,prayers and best wishes.

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

I am hoping for a quick and complete recovery, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm just taking it REALLY easy right now because my blood values have bottomed out. But I am in recovery phase, and maybe in a week or so I can leave the house and visit friends until my next chemo. I'm doing great, though. I'll be up and at it again in no time.
    - Nate
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF-S 18-55 IS

Good luck mate, it sounds like you have a very good attitude, that is a huge adavntage in this situation.

Good luck and keep up the positive vibes!

I am glad to hear you are in remission and my prayers are with you.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information