ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The Man Behind The Lens

I had a great day this past Thursday as I got to meet the man behind the images of gallery that I have been into a hand full of times. Here is his web site. http://www.mangelsen.com/store/catalog?Args=.

My gf and I stopped in and Tom was their for a "Artist Reception" at the Oak Brook location. I have seen some one this site that liked his work and we have fallen for it also.

James

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: The Man Behind The Lens

I have mentioned Mangelsens work here on the boards in the past. I went to his gallery in Galena a couple years ago when he was having a reception there. I saw him, but never got the chance to talk to him. I also visited one of his galleries in Jackson Hole WY last summer. I am a big fan of his work, but I don't own any of it. I should pick up one of his books sometime.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Mike,
    I have seen his name mentioned on here before and have only noticed that location this year. I did in fact pick up a book and he did sign it that day, the line was out the door. I am also in the same boat as you, I don't own any, but I am thinking about it.

James

Mangelsen has been one of my favorites since seeing a print of his photograph "Polar Dance" and then visiting one of his galleries in the Denver Airport. His first gallery is in Jackson, WY, I visit it when I get the chance, the gallery extends to one of the best breakfast places in Jackson: The Bunnery. Mr. Mangelsen is someone I certainly wish to emulate, but unfortunately I haven't got that kind of time to dedicate to photography.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

I just checked out his website. Looks like he is going to be in Galena tonight. The wife and I may make a trip to see him and pick up a book ourselves.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Update: We just got back from the gallery with a signed book. It wasn't his newest, but one that I have thought about purchasing ever since I first walked into one of his galleries.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Mike,
    Very cool to hear that you were able to get a book and have him sign it also. Was it packed? My gf and I waited about 30-45 minutes in line and about half the time was outside. I do believe that the book I got was his newest one but that was also the book that we both found a lot of good images in. Plus it was one of the books that we looked thru from cover to cover.
    Now for the hard part as to which print to get....

James

Yes, it was pretty packed. The gallery in Galena is pretty small, so it doesn't take a lot of people to make it crowded. We waited in line for about the same time you did. The line wasn't backed up out the door, but it was pretty close.

The book I got was: Images of Nature: The Photographs of Thomas D. Mangelsen. It's the one with the bear on the cover. We also liked The Natural World, the long pano book, but we only got the one.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Yes that was the book that we got, The Natural World.

James

Thread Information