ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: mammal ID help

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

mammal ID help

I shot this in Houston Tx at dusk in a flood plain adjacent to a big city park. Now I know it appears to be a muskrat, but this thing was easily 40 pound in my estimation! Is everything really " BIG IN TEXAS" ?

BTW , I have seen them on 2 trips , so they must be living there.(4 of them at least)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mammal ID help-5354big-rat.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re: mammal ID help

This invasive species is brought to you courtesy of Tabasco whose founder had them brought in from South America for a private zoo or something on his Avery Island estate.

Google "Nutria"
    ----------------------------

misanthrope

I'll put up another vote for nutria. These things were common in Oregon when I lived there (Eugene area) and they were considered a pest animal; as Chunk said, an invasive species. I would reccommend shooting it with something a little more lethal than a camera...
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    I shot this in Houston Tx at dusk in a flood plain adjacent to a big city park. Now I know it appears to be a muskrat, but this thing was easily 40 pound in my estimation! Is everything really " BIG IN TEXAS" ?

BTW , I have seen them on 2 trips , so they must be living there.(4 of them at least)

Pest indeed. Nutria are rather destructive critters. And they are spreading all across the country. We've got them in North Carolina as well.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm late to the table, but it's a Nutria for sure. We got those lil' bastards all over the place down here.

Last edited by almo; 05-04-2005 at 08:08 PM.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Ooh Paul, I know! I know!

Well, it's a pretty bad picture (of course, now that I know about your scar-eye, I'm giving you some slack, heh heh), but I'm reasonably sure that's a Western Spotted Black Head Slime-Snouted Alamo Lumberjack Weasel.

Uh, scientific name: mustela texmexicana

What gives them away is that you can draw a straight line from their nostril throught their eye to their ear.

As you've discovered, the Lumberjack Weasels spend most of their time floating on large logs sunning themselves and looking for dragonflies to eat. And btw, they're only considered "spotted" after you see them...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Ooh Paul, I know! I know!

Well after I posted this image I gave google one last try with a search of "aquatic mammal in texas" and came up with this nasty critter's name.

As for bad quality(I agree) .... it was shot at ISO 640 , 1/10TH , 400MM HANDHELD dude... then I cropped it down to 30-40 % of the frame

BTW.... had I known it was that bad I WOULD have put a 9mm slug through it

OH WAIT, I had my 45 on me that trip
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information