ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

making ugly things beautiful

It would be interesting to see any shots you may have that show something we usually consider "ugly", made attractive.

For instance, I was thinking how much power lines are the bane of photographers. Has anyone taken a shot of power lines that makes them look really neat?

What other things might fit in this category?

~Kelly

Here's one way to do it....

Hi, Kelly,

Whenever I am faced with a truly ugly subject, instead of thinking how I can make it "attractive," I think instead about how I can make it say something of value to my viewers.

Earlier this month, while visiting the largest dam in the world on China's Yangtze River, I noticed that those pesky power lines you mentioned were all over the place. When included in a picture accidentally, they can, as you imply, be distracting.

Sorry, Kelly -- I could not make any of those power towers look "really neat" as you asked. But I was able to incorporate them into a composition by finding a vantage point limiting them to just three (with the tops of three more just below them). By placing these power towers in the upper right hand corner of my picture, they echo the vertical thrusts of those three red towers featured on the dam itself. This image becomes a study in flowing water and flying spray and I have given the power lines a job to do here -- they link the dam itself with its purpose -- to provide electric power.

You can see it at: http://www.pbase.com/image/31314620

Hope this help,

Phil
    Phil Douglis
    Director, The Douglis Visual Workshops
    Phoenix, Arizona
    pnd1@cox.net

http://www.pbase.com/pnd1

http://www.worldisround.com/home/pnd1/index.html

http://www.funkytraveller.com/Pages/travelogues/travelphotophild.htm

I LIKE IT!!!

~Kelly

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar
    Making Ugly things beautiful? How did we start talking about beer?

Okay bad joke.....though I have been told it does make me look a tad bit better

Here's Mine

A story sort of like Phil's - I saw the shot of the trail, but there were the inevitable power lines. So I tried to make them part of the composition. Reactions to this photo are a bit mixed. But I was pretty happy with it. I thought all the intersection lines became pretty interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails making ugly things beautiful-mile_bw.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    It would be interesting to see any shots you may have that show something we usually consider "ugly", made attractive.

For instance, I was thinking how much power lines are the bane of photographers. Has anyone taken a shot of power lines that makes them look really neat?

What other things might fit in this category?

~Kelly
    Obviously you haven't looked at the Traffic Cone Project.

How about sewer pipe?
    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/ph...files/sp2a.asp

Patterns - anything put in a pattern becomes a dance, even ugly stuff. I drive past way too many concrete septic tank/culvert factories without stopping to see if I can shoot some photos of their inventory - all stacked and lined up ready for the camera. The first shot is just the treads on a fire escape in an alley.

Hyperbole - if it's ugly, emphasize it. In this shot the "Flowers and Gifts" sign takes it over the top.

Isolate it so you can look at it as an abstract. I think this smooshed pumpkin works like that.

Humor. It's just an overgrown bush without the humor.

Mostly, realize that "ugly" isn't an inherent property of something but rather your reaction to it - same with "beauty". Photographically all things can be treated about the same way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails making ugly things beautiful-sign1.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information