ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

For Mac Users: Downloading Digital

Just a quick information gathering question.

Hopefully next year I will be purchasing a Minolta 7D. Currently I use iPhoto to download images from my A70, but I am assuming that serious photogs do not use iPhoto. What do most of you use to download your images then?

this isn't the old PR anymore

Re: For Mac Users: Downloading Digital

I use the software that canon provides with my 10D. The software is pretty transparent since I do not use it for any processing. It auto-rotates the images as well which is very nice. I am not sure if iphoto will do that, tho it probably will. At weddings I set up my ibook with the photos I have already shot running a slide show from the Canon software as well. I suppose that my recomendation would be to look into the manufacturer software but not to discount iPhoto as it is a good piece of software.

-Pete

PS- RIP iBook 2002-2004 Died of a broken hard drive. Survivors include many burned cd's and a power adapter. Fought a bad motherboard just months before the hard drive dealt its final blow- a sad story.

I've always downloaded through the Canon software, and don't use iPhoto because it duplicates all the images, doubling space on my hard drive.

I would like a better option that handles RAW files faster.

Here's a thread I started awhile back regarding this subject, and someone recommended a different program. You might want to read through this:

does anyone use iPhoto?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower
    Just a quick information gathering question.

Hopefully next year I will be purchasing a Minolta 7D. Currently I use iPhoto to download images from my A70, but I am assuming that serious photogs do not use iPhoto. What do most of you use to download your images then?
    Hello,

Quite frankly, I never really used iPhoto, nor did I even knew that it actually duplicates files as Kelly pointed out.

I download through the Nikon software which must be fairly similar to it's Canon counterpart (it auto-rotates images among others things).

iPhoto seems like a valuable software though.

Seb

The only time iPhoto duplicates images is when the user modifies the original image (cropping, rotating etc). It then places the original image into a sub folder in your images folder called Originals.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower
    The only time iPhoto duplicates images is when the user modifies the original image (cropping, rotating etc). It then places the original image into a sub folder in your images folder called Originals.
    Then this is a clever feature! Thank you for the information. It's good to know that.

Seb

I have a mac and a canon 10D and I just drag and drop into the finder all my raw files and then sort and view them with PS CS. If I shoot in jpg mode I usually use iPhoto, but that's typically for e-bay selling photos and stuff like that, casual or utilitarian photos. It's quite easy to drag and drop, you just select all in the folders found on the CF and drag them over, you don't have to worry about opening up any other programs either.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by kafin8ed
    I have a mac and a canon 10D and I just drag and drop into the finder all my raw files and then sort and view them with PS CS. If I shoot in jpg mode I usually use iPhoto, but that's typically for e-bay selling photos and stuff like that, casual or utilitarian photos. It's quite easy to drag and drop, you just select all in the folders found on the CF and drag them over, you don't have to worry about opening up any other programs either.
    I forgot about that feature, that some cameras mount the CF (or whatever media) on your desktop. This makes it much easier to grab the images.

Although I really like iPhoto's ability to delete the images once they are imported.

Thread Information