ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Looking for good Digital Photo Magazine

My wife's birthday is coming up, and since I got her a new camera last year, I thought getting her subscription to a good digital photography magazine this thing would be nice. Since I'm no expert, I'm looking for suggestions! What are your favorite mags and why?

I'm looking for something that doesn't spend a lot of space pushing new cameras (since we just got one), but rather gives advice, tips, tricks, and techniques that would be useful to people who have used digital cameras for years, but don't really know how to do anything too fancy or how to achieve perfect results in less-than-perfect situations.

Re: Looking for good Digital Photo Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by kompik
    I'm looking for something that doesn't spend a lot of space pushing new cameras.
    That's going to make it tough...

Honestly, I gave up most of the photo magazines. I read Nikon World and Photo Techniques and these magazines have very few ads but I don't think they're what you're after. I got sick of all of the ads too...

I think a lot of the magazines that might be of most help will be about half ads - literally. I haven't read many of them in awhile, but a better bookstore like Barnes and Noble or Borders (or if you're lucky enough to have a great local shop) will have a good assortment.

Magazines can be helpful in learning tips and tricks because they come in small doses once a month. However, there are books and classes that might be more helpful. Depending on the software she has, this might be the place to start (Scott Kelby's Adobe Photoshop ___ for Digital Photographers in particular, and the current version of Photoshop Elements if she doesn't have it). Community colleges may have classes too.

I don't know anything about it, but came across BetterPhoto the other day. They offer on-line classes and I may take one myself at some point.

Last but certainly not least is this website! Check out the top right under the learn tab. Have her register and participate in the Photo Project forum.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I think the mags are fine but you'll always find the ads.
    I recently checked a local community college listing and they have some on line classes for photoshop and shooting techniques for $99. I'm seriously considering taking one.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks guys! I wasn't so much talking about "ads"...I just didn't want a mag that was mostly just camera reviews. And the small, digestible doses of tips and tricks once a month is what would be best. We have a lot of other things going on and we only photograph casually; i.e. we're not serious hobbyist and class or would probably be overkill at this point. =)

Tel

American Photo is a really good magazine, but its mostly just a showcasing of photographers, really.

But yeah, good to see another Ohio member here!

Bet you were disappointed Monday, eh?

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Well the one Digital Photo Magazine that we on the market failed, and I have seen only one UK printed Digital Photography Magazine "Digital Photographer". For me it's cheaper to purchase it than a subscription and I have found it at Costco, or a good book store like Barns and Noble Book Seller. (12.99 usd at Costco 150 usd a year, or about 150 UK pound subscription)
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

What type of photography is she into? I love shooting nature and wildlife, and I love Outdoor Photographer Magazine. You may be able to find a magazine geared to what she likes to shoot.

I use to get Popular Photography and Imaging, but I don't any more. It just wasn't my thing. A little too techy and gear oriented for me.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I don't know anything about it, but came across BetterPhoto the other day. They offer on-line classes and I may take one myself at some point.
    Better Photo with Jim Miotke! He has a podcast that I listen to called Better Photo Radio. He is also a regular on Shutterbug Magazine Radio. I have never checked out any of their classes, but it's a great suggestion.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information