ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Look Around

Look Around

After taking some sunrise shots this morning, I did my usual look around and spotted this pair of tree swallows agressively gaurding their new home a ways away. They let me get to within 15' before they took off so I was able to get this full frame shot.
    I'm glad they weren't as worried about me as they were about others of their own species. I'll bet they'll be evicted before the bluebirds start showing up. Each of the houses around the park seemed to have a pair attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Look Around-02.jpg  
    ----------------------------

Re: Look Around

Chunk,

I like this. The two birds are a great touch. Great shooting!

Jared
    Last edited by jar_e; 04-10-2005 at 01:18 PM.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Yes tree swallows are one of the first to migrate back(soon as insects appear) and I highly doubt they will be evicted unless a starling desides to TRY to fit in the box(which are made too small for them on purpose )

What gear were you using, because with a tripod and around 500mm you can fill the frame(I have years ago) with patience and keeping motionless
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I was using my Panasonic FZ20. It has a 35mm equivalent focal length of about 430 mm (76mm actual I think) at the long end of its 12x zoom. I had it on my cheap Slik tripod so I am glad that the camera has image stabilization. I started quite a ways away, taking several shots and then halving the distance by walking slowly and quietly before stopping and taking more shots. Then repeating the process. They usually watched me closely while I was moving and one occasionally left to chase other birds off. I sure didn't expect to be allowed as close as I was. I'll be trying this sort of thing with other birds.

I was thinking that the eviction will come at the hands of misguided humans who put up these Bluebird Houses. You see instructions for building the houses and how to clean them out for the arrival of the bluebirds. Silly people.
    ----------------------------

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

your technique was correct !

In my area people put 2 boxes back to back on 1 post. I have seen blue birds in one and swallows in the other.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information